Wolf hunt - failing tricks

chuckie

Hi! I'm an experienced Interloper player and most of my runs ended with a wolf attack though I was trying to do everything right. Please share your thoughts on why common rules sometimes doesn't work.

1. Use bait. Lot's of times wolf ignore bait, dropped in usual distance and visibility and just pass by to attack. The different circumstances were: wolf was feeding from a corps, I was wearing a wolf coat, I was standing up the hill.
  2. Hold a lit torch. Was killed several times by normal and aurora wolf, not provoking, backing. Also dropping a torch right at the wolf may cause it to attack.
  3. Fire. Once was killed right beside the fire harvesting a bear. The fire was in between me and wolf but it ran in circle and finished me. Was it too excited with the smell?
  4. Shelter. Was killed inside the doorless fishing hut. I shoot the wolf from inside and it ran right into the hut.

So the question is whether some wolves are that tough to ignore bait and fire or it's something wrong with the tricks or both.

1. Are there any minimum requirements to bait weight and smell level? I mostly use tiny peaces of cooked meat, less then 0.1 kg. Should they be bigger or raw?
  2. Did someone suspect an elevation problem? When you stand on a slope and wolf approaching from the bottom and baiting, holding and throwing torches fails?
  3. Wearing a wolf coat makes weaker wolves run, but does it make strong wolves hate you so much to ignore bait and fire?
  4. Feeding wolf ignore bait? It protects its prey so either shoot from the distance or wait till it finished?
  5. Is it just because of loper, the stronger you become (have a bow, better clothes) the stronger wolves gets? And you end with the alpha terminator wolf, immune to arrows and hatchet, born particularly to find and kill you.

The wolf takes the bait from quite a long distance. Is stops growling and trots for the bait. So when wolf keeps growling and walking slowly while been relatively close to the bait means it will ignore it. And in that case the wolf will rush from quite a long distance, hard to aim with a bow. And often run in a curve, so hard to shoot too.

Any thoughts how to get alive out of this situation? Run? Start a fire?

raw meat and fresh gut work better as decoy. and continually adjust your position to keep the decoy directly between you and the approaching wolf, crouching can help. The wolf generally takes the decoy then turn and leave. it will not stay to eat.  On occasion they still ignore the bait and come straight at me. Probably something to do with how far they are when you dropped the decoy. 

fishing huts are too small for safety. don't count on it.

Torch and flares are so unreliable I don't bother with them any more.

Wolf skin coat doesn't seem to make much difference, only small chance of scaring off a wolf. Most wolves aren't bothered. It seems to be unique per wolf though, if you run into a wolf that is scared off by the coat, chances are that wolf will run every time you encounter it.

Wolf going around the fire I've never seen before.

If the wolf took down a deer, you can get close and shoot the wolf. I've never seen one charge, only defend the kill.

Not agree with the position adjustment. You can move in wide range, just that wolf passed the bait close enough. It will switch. If you see wolf already takes the bait (silent trotting) you can go anywhere. But not very close to wolf.

I guess I doesn't work not because you are standing far away, but the wolf will ignore the bait anyway.

That's what I'm talking, in loper everything must be 100% safe. If some rules not always work I want to find new rules that explain when it will not work and what to do in that case.

11 hours ago, chuckie said:

Shelter. Was killed inside the doorless fishing hut. I shoot the wolf from inside and it ran right into the hut.

This is a known bug. Hopefully Hinterland will have it fixed soon.

35 minutes ago, chuckie said:

in loper everything must be 100% safe. If some rules not always work I want to find new rules that explain when it will not work and what to do in that case.

Just like in real life, nothing is 100% safe. Rules that can tell you when something will not work is not possible. Learn to deal with uncertainty.

3 minutes ago, JAFO said:

This is a known bug. Hopefully Hinterland will have it fixed soon.

Thanks for the info.

4 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Just like in real life, nothing is 100% safe. Rules that can tell you when something will not work is not possible. Learn to deal with uncertainty.

Sure, I mean 'as high as possible'. The only thing is absolute - we can not afford death, 100%.

Well, I've found the answer what to do. If wolf or bear jumped, if you fell into the water  - Alt+F4! If you did something unwanted, fail to repair and lost the only bear hide, lost in the woods, but the game wasn't saved - quit and continue from last save. Things got much easier now, still there's a risk to spoil the game and quick reaction is needed, but at least 'I stopped worrying and loved the permadeath'. Here comes the revenge!

B4DD17EDF7EAC8887E76DFB6A7A8B93CA0FD91C96820C05571142CDAA92A5501873D66AC9014F954

• 2 months later...

Archived