Implement walking without holding the forward key

Tomcat2

Another feaure that would be useful is to have a possibility to walk without holding W key. Sometimes I just want to go forward for a longer time and don't want to still hold the key. I see that Left ALT key is not used, so L ALT+W would cause the character to move forward until the same directional key is pressed again. But other directional keys and running by L SHIFT would work normally.

In example, I want to go somewhere, I press L ALT+W and the character just walks forward. I can correct direction by mouse without affecting the movement forward. I can also use A or D keys to move aside or L SHIFT to run when pressed when still walking forward. Pressing W again or S key (back) stops the walking.

I don't really think this makes sense. I've done quite a lot of hiking and it's not really reasonable to unpack food from your bag while moving. This only really makes sense for candy bars, sodas, cat tails, and a few other items. The character already eats at a shocking pace and it takes almost no time.

1 hour ago, Riotintheair said:

I don't really think this makes sense. I've done quite a lot of hiking and it's not really reasonable to unpack food from your bag while moving. This only really makes sense for candy bars, sodas, cat tails, and a few other items. The character already eats at a shocking pace and it takes almost no time.

How does this reply relate to the topic?

38 minutes ago, Tomcat2 said:

Simple with an auto walk key somehow you'd be able to open canned goods and eat while walking, good luck with that in real life. Popping a soda, maybe depending on where it's stored...eating candy bars sure.

But in reality to open a can you are gonna have to stop take off your pack, get out the can, get out the can opener, open the can etc. I can promise you you cannot do that without stopping in real life.

That is one of the reasons I prefer not having auto-walk.

Thus this part of the discussion is perfectly in line with the Auto Walk function.

33 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

Simple with an auto walk key somehow you'd be able to open canned goods and eat while walking, good luck with that in real life. Popping a soda, maybe depending on where it's stored...eating candy bars sure.

But in reality to open a can you are gonna have to stop take off your pack, get out the can, get out the can opener, open the can etc. I can promise you you cannot do that without stopping in real life.

That is one of the reasons I prefer not having auto-walk.

Thus this part of the discussion is perfectly in line with the Auto Walk function.

I believe possibility to make actions in the circle menu while walking belongs to my other topic.

This one was mainly created for the fact I don't want to hold W key for like a 5 or more minutes in a row if I'm going long distances just straight ahead with some minor adjustments, I could just let the character go. That's why the auto walk function would be good for.

At this moment I solve this by putting some weight on the W key that holds it pressed, which is not as efficient as having such function built in.

3 hours ago, Tomcat2 said:

I believe possibility to make actions in the circle menu while walking belongs to my other topic.

This one was mainly created for the fact I don't want to hold W key for like a 5 or more minutes in a row if I'm going long distances just straight ahead with some minor adjustments, I could just let the character go. That's why the auto walk function would be good for.

At this moment I solve this by putting some weight on the W key that holds it pressed, which is not as efficient as having such function built in.

The point is still very valid however.

TLD prides itself on being realistic. In reality you would have to set your pack down and stop to do Radial menu items.

Also I play...like all the time, part of the reason I'm responding now is because...I was playing.

The W key is the Walk key if I want to walk I hold it down if I don't I let it go.

In real life if I want to walk...I walk if I don't I stop.

So if I choose to not walk IRL I have taken my proverbial foot off the W key.

Oh well to each their own I guess.

2 hours ago, Tomcat2 said:

But this is not a real life, it is a game and this is a suggestion how to make things easier. Just simple as it is. If you don't want to use such feature, don't use it but I would like to have it there.

True enough but so far there's a good reason Hinterland haven't added such an option.

And whether they choose to reveal why is up to them.

Also TLD is as per Raphael as real life as it can be with a Canadian sensibility.

In real life you have to chose to go forward (even if you don't really think about the choice as such), even just walking is a choice to go forward and you have to put in effort to do it.

In TLD either you move by pushing W,A,S,D...or you go nowhere. Seems pretty obvious to me.

Anyhow I'm speaking in circles...so I'll bow out.

If you are so lazy you can't hold down the W key be glad that you ain't your character carrying 35kg in minus 20 degrees while wearing a baseball cap, T-shirt, and socks in deep snow with the constant fear of wolves and bears around every corned...... (unless you play on pilgrim).

This game is supposed to be an experience, not a toggle walk and wait for 10 minutes and now you are the dam or what place you where headed to 

On 10/20/2017 at 2:23 AM, Tomcat2 said:

This requires to run some external script. I'm talking about built in game feature.

Many people have requested this already over a long period of time.. Hinterland know about it. So far, they've chosen not to implement it. In the meantime, the script is a way to do what Hinterland won't.

On 10/20/2017 at 3:06 AM, RossBondReturns said:

Simple with an auto walk key somehow you'd be able to open canned goods and eat while walking, good luck with that in real life.

If you'd taken the time to look at the script, you'd know that this can't be done. Try to access your backpack or do any of a number of other actions, and you'll stop walking immediately.

On 10/20/2017 at 3:48 AM, Tomcat2 said:

So for the time being, use the script. That makes it almost like a built-in function. Certainly easier than putting a weight on the key.

On 10/20/2017 at 10:03 PM, Reahs said:

If you are so lazy you can't hold down the W key be glad that you ain't your character carrying 35kg in minus 20 degrees while wearing a baseball cap, T-shirt, and socks in deep snow with the constant fear of wolves and bears around every corned.

This game is supposed to be an experience

Lazy? Your sympathy for people with carpal tunnel syndrome (or other afflictions that make holding keys down for long periods of time a real pain) is so very touching.

"Be glad" that's not an "experience" that you get to enjoy, and go away, please.

That's kinda my point JAFO.

You have to stop to open canned goods...amongst other things. That's reality.

You shouldn't be able to walk, rummage for your can of pork and beans, rummage for the can opener, open the can eat the pork and beans w/o having to stop.

So if anything...with auto walk were to ever be a thing and engaged selecting to eat canned goods should automatically take you off auto walk for those actions.

3 hours ago, JAFO said:

Many people have requested this already over a long period of time.. Hinterland know about it. So far, they've chosen not to implement it. In the meantime, the script is a way to do what Hinterland won't.

If you'd taken the time to look at the script, you'd know that this can't be done. Try to access your backpack or do any of a number of other actions, and you'll stop walking immediately.

So for the time being, use the script. That makes it almost like a built-in function. Certainly easier than putting a weight on the key.

Lazy? Your sympathy for people with carpal tunnel syndrome (or other afflictions that make holding keys down for long periods of time a real pain) is so very touching.

"Be glad" that's not an "experience" that you get to enjoy, and go away, please.

Good thing you used that card....

YOU DONT CARE ABOUT PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES OR AFFLICTIONS THAT HAUNTS THEM EVERY DAY. 

well if I'm going to tell the truth let's just say I don't really give a f* (i give a little but not much) because there is stuff you can buy (which you should already have) to prevent or increase the time before you start to feel pain if you have let's say carpal tunnel syndrome and if you start to feel pain just take a break.....

Why don't you scream to EA or Dice just because they have a lot of flashing lights in their games? Just think of all the people with epilepsy that really can't play their games because of flashes!

Why is there no setting on turning flashes and sharp lights off?

On 10/20/2017 at 5:03 AM, Reahs said:

If you are so lazy you can't hold down the W key be glad that you ain't your character carrying 35kg in minus 20 degrees while wearing a baseball cap, T-shirt, and socks in deep snow with the constant fear of wolves and bears around every corned...... (unless you play on pilgrim).

This game is supposed to be an experience, not a toggle walk and wait for 10 minutes and now you are the dam or what place you where headed to 

I see no harm in giving the option.  Each player chooses whether they want to use it or not.  This is a place for recommendations - let the guy recommend what he wants.

On 10/22/2017 at 0:28 PM, RossBondReturns said:

You shouldn't be able to walk, rummage for your can of pork and beans, rummage for the can opener, open the can eat the pork and beans w/o having to stop.

So if anything...with auto walk were to ever be a thing and engaged selecting to eat canned goods should automatically take you off auto walk for those actions.

I was going to jump in to suggest just that.  Autowalk could be scripted to disable when you mess about in your inventory?  I think that's a reasonable solution that might keep most of us happy. 

On 10/22/2017 at 0:28 PM, RossBondReturns said:

Sounds reasonable enough to me. 

On 10/20/2017 at 6:03 AM, Reahs said:

This topic has been brought up in every TLD forum/message board that frequent.  Reddit, Steam and here.  There's always some good rational discussion and then there's a comment like this.  

You've players like @ RossBondReturns who have valid point about what it might mean to game play and you have players like @JAFO who offer the practicality of the script some players use.  And then, every single time, there's a comment like the one I've quoted.

All I can do it chuckle a bit when I inevitably read it.  

3 hours ago, Doc Gonzo said:

This topic has been brought up in every TLD forum/message board that frequent.  Reddit, Steam and here.  There's always some good rational discussion and then there's a comment like this.  

You've players like @ RossBondReturns who have valid point about what it might mean to game play and you have players like @JAFO who offer the practicality of the script some players use.  And then, every single time, there's a comment like the one I've quoted.

All I can do it chuckle a bit when I inevitably read it.  

Well, I'm so sorry then if I'm the worst guy in the world then.....

All I want is to keep the game as immersive as possible without stuff being done by themselves.

If we take Dayz as an example (aka walking sim) even they don't have auto walk implemented so why should TLD that is all about that immersion and the beautiful environment and weather.

14 hours ago, Reahs said:

All I want is to keep the game as immersive as possible without stuff being done by themselves.

If we take Dayz as an example (aka walking sim) even they don't have auto walk implemented so why should TLD that is all about that immersion and the beautiful environment and weather.

Who said you're the worst person in the world?   I just find that occasionally there's someone who is just very vocally opposed to an autowalk option for the game.  I mean we can ignore the fact that anyone that doesn't want to use it wouldn't have too I just find a bit of humor in comparing our character's struggle with a game play feature.  

On 10/22/2017 at 5:35 PM, JAFO said:

That is true but I think the idea is coming from the Radial wheel. Still, I am pretty sure that opening a can would still stop the player dead in tracks and use the item before they would be walking again. So I don't think it was a problem in the first place. Pretty sure it cannot be done either way.

20 hours ago, Reahs said:

Because it is a simple gameplay mechanic that just makes "playing the game" easier and has literally no effect on the gameplay or immersion what-so-ever.

And your apology is acknowledged and accepted.

In case it was not clear enough - I like the idea of having an auto-walk option. Especially due to the fact that walking into hill makes people go slower, the autowalk option would be appreciated. Same for when walking from base-to-base over-encumbered.

I responded to the wrong thread with my first response (about opening a can while walking). There was another thread about allowing walking while doing actions in the radial menu that I meant to respond  to instead. I am against that (allowing actions while walking) not against an autowalk key.

On 10/19/2017 at 11:25 AM, Tomcat2 said:

^ this reply to my first comment is actually pretty much accurate. Sorry for bringing cans into this :( .

On 10/22/2017 at 2:16 PM, Reahs said:

Good thing you used that card....

YOU DONT CARE ABOUT PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES OR AFFLICTIONS THAT HAUNTS THEM EVERY DAY. 

well if I'm going to tell the truth let's just say I don't really give a f* (i give a little but not much) because there is stuff you can buy (which you should already have) to prevent or increase the time before you start to feel pain if you have let's say carpal tunnel syndrome and if you start to feel pain just take a break.....

Why don't you scream to EA or Dice just because they have a lot of flashing lights in their games? Just think of all the people with epilepsy that really can't play their games because of flashes!

Why is there no setting on turning flashes and sharp lights off?

As someone whose niece and brother both suffer from epilepsy, that is actually something I will hold against major developers as well as small developers. It's not hard to just avoid rapidly flashing lights in games; television show episodes have been banned for flashing lights. It also shouldn't be hard to accommodate for those with carpal tunnel. OR THOSE WHO WISH TO AVOID CARPAL TUNNEL, especially people who do repetitive motions such as typing for a living. If you're concerned about autowalk breaking the game, just make any action, including the radial wheel, stop the walk. I think an option for some form of auto walk or just an alternate way to walk would be a great addition to the game. If you think it takes away from the realism, don't use it. Simple.

• 3 months later...

You Want Auto Walk for Keyboards?  I just made a simple device using a every day items, in this case a steel ruler (gives the weight needed) and stick of lip balm, or you can just use a dowl of wood, or anything that fits. I am finding this so cool for those long straight walks, gives me time to run to the bathroom, grab a refreshing drink or whatever :) while I walk on those long straight walks.

autoWalk.jpg.82cee28552ce961df2972160cfe841f3.jpg

Archived