Done

PorkChops

I've played this game 210 hours since it's early release. Since the official release I've played the 2 episodes and started trying to get all the Steam achievements. After surviving 200+ days and getting most of my skills to level 5 I was trying to go for the Faithful Cartographer achievement. I went to sleep in a bedroll at night at 100% condition with fully repaired clothes (2 expedition parkas, 2 snow pants, 2 Cowichan sweaters, rabbit skin mitts, insulated boots, ear wrap, balaclava ALL at at least 90% condition) and no illnesses. BAM. dead. You have faded into the long dark. Didn't wake up freezing or anything. Just went to sleep at 100% condition and died without any warning whatsoever. I am so fucking mad about this. All that time down the shitter. Fuck this boring piece of shit game. Seriously. Jesus fucking Christ. Why the fuck would the character not wake up if he was fucking dying??? Anyhow I'm uninstalling it and not going back. Fuck you people. So fucking salty right now. 

I've had hypothermia multiple times during my life and one of the things it makes you do is feel warm and want to lie down in the snow. I heard some people never wake up because they thought they were getting warmer when in fact it was in their head and they were actually dying. You need to carefully check where you sleep and only do an hour or two if you have any doubts. It should give you enough time to find a warmer place. I had my many-hundred day save wiped due to an error that wasn't mine. It was a choice by the devs, but I'm not upset. I was able to get back to my progress from before and I'm sure you can too.

I'm assuming it was hypothermia that killed me. I saw 4 status afflictions flash at the right side of the screen before it gave me the "You have faded into the long dark" screen. If I had to guess what they were I would say that it was Frostbite risk and hypothermia risk followed by frostbite and hypothermia. The only thing is that every other time I've slept outdoors and a blizzard hit it gave me a "you woke up freezing" signal so that at least I had a chance to build a fire and warm up before dying from hypothermia. I assumed that it would do this every time and I don't know why I wasn't woken up this time. Like what factors into waking up freezing and just freezing to death during sleep? Is it random? It was in Pleasant Valley where blizzards seem to happen a lot, so I suspected there might be a blizzard during sleep but it doesn't seem fair to go from full health to dead without any chance of doing anything about it. 

PV is pretty unforgiving, blizzards last long and temp drops low at night. At the speed game time passes while sleeping you die from freezing very quickly. I've never seen the "you woke up freezing" warning before. I died once in sleep and since then I never sleep more than 2~3 hrs at a stretch unless I'm fully indoors or have a all night fire that is sheltered from wind. Haven't died since, but suffered frost bite from sleeping too long.

5 minutes ago, KinoUnko said:

PV is pretty unforgiving, blizzards last long and temp drops low at night. At the speed game time passes while sleeping you die from freezing very quickly. I've never seen the "you woke up freezing" warning before. I died once in sleep and since then I never sleep more than 2~3 hrs at a stretch unless I'm fully indoors or have a all night fire that is sheltered from wind. Haven't died since, but suffered frost bite from sleeping too long.

I experience much worse weather in PV than anywhere else. In the muskeg, fog can easily be navigated through and in Timberwolf Mountain...I guess it was just being kind to me during my stay there. PV, on the other hand, is always really cold and on the brink of a blizzard every time it seems. It certainly makes things interesting, though.

3 hours ago, Tomcat2 said:

Man, you should have saved your game...that's what I'm talking about in my save game topic...great example here...

Well, even if he did save, this game features permadeath, which means when you die, no save file 4 u! 

And who wouldn't wake up if a blizzard starts? There's snow and wind whipping all over the place. It's extremely noisy. It makes no sense that the character would just keep sleeping through it until Hypothermia sets in. I was on Voyager difficulty too...and that faithful cartographer achievement is a pain. Walking around the map with charcoal and re-visiting places just to map it out isn't fun it's a chore. It's frustrating when the rules of the game change without any apparent reason. Sometimes you'll wake up during a blizzard and sometimes you won't and just freeze to death and it's not obvious at all why I didn't wake up this time. Unless it's a random thing that happens or a fluke. 

5 hours ago, omoon66 said:

Well, even if he did save, this game features permadeath, which means when you die, no save file 4 u! 

That's why you need to save them on your own. I do this:

I save my game every time I need after game makes an autosave save by copying the content of: \Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Hinterland into the special folder and if I screw up, I just copy it back. Works well for me. I keep all my saves so I can revert back into every autosave in the past and don't die at all ;)

Archived