Blazing trees

starfighter441

so long as it doesn't wear down the tool I'm all for it. The tools and whetstones wear down too fast as it is. To be honest though, nothing beats simple visual memory. The maps are full of land marks near and far to help navigation. If it's a white out or heavy fog I doubt the tree marks will be much use.

That looks like it would be way too complicated to actually put into the game. It would have to make every tree "an in-game object" the same way furniture is right now, but if you wanted to mark specific direction this way, I am not sure how that would work...

This seems overly complicated to implement for not that much of a gain, really. As Carbon said, sticks for indicators work just fine and people have been making those to help with the navigation in fogs for a while now. Sticks and stones, even coal or charcoal are all items I would use.

2 hours ago, KinoUnko said:

o long as it doesn't wear down the tool I'm all for it.

Of course it would lower condition. Whats the point of having a condition in the first place if using the tool doesn't degrade it?

2 hours ago, KinoUnko said:

If it's a white out or heavy fog I doubt the tree marks will be much use.

I am pretty sure it was suggested specifically because of blizzards and fogs. I would be somewhat useful because you can usually go tree-to-tree during low visibility. But for that same reason, indications on the ground would work just as well.

Condition is for chopping wood and gutting animals, not for marking trees. And there aren't many places where the trees are dense enough for blazing to be useful in low visibility. 

Otherwise a quick drop marker option, radial or shortcut, would be preferable. instead of dropping meat/gut, drop rock/charcoal piece. easier to implement, and just as quick. 

I never felt the need to have some kind of route marking system. Map and memory never let me down since i started playing The Long Dark and thus i don´t see any need for such a feature.

Of course, if you are out hunting in a real forest outside of your known territory and don´t want to get lost you leave marks to later on be able to comprehend your route and find the way back safely. But that is not needed in the long dark because you neither have to chase your prey down to death nor do you switch your hunting territory as many times as you might do as a hunter. And last but not least, the territory you are hunting in is not as big as for a real life hunter.

Marks are useless anyways when you get surprised by a blizzard or foggy weather since you will spend so much time comprehending your route that you will more or less likely die anyways. It is far better to sit out this kind of weather in a snowshelter or any shelter found nearby rather than trying hard to get back to base and die trying so. Not only do you have to deal with hostile weather but also with bad sight that will prevent you from spotting dangers further away than a stone´s throw thus making them even more dangerous.

On 10/5/2017 at 9:10 PM, TerribleSurvivor said:

I never felt the need to have some kind of route marking system. Map and memory never let me down since i started playing The Long Dark and thus i don´t see any need for such a feature.

I have pretty intense memory of the TLD maps, considering I often go on walks just to increase my map knowledge (and have something to do in the long-term games) - and even I had a couple of encounters when the blizzard or fog hit me in an area that I found a bit difficult to navigate in. You might know where you are, but it will do you jack-all if you get jumped by weather in the middle of an environment which looks largely the same. However, if you know a couple of basic tips on how to deal with it, you really can't get lost in the TLD, even in those conditions - the point to marking systems is that they make the navigation to shelters all that easier. This limits the wear-and-tear the weather has on you. The fact that player always walks in a straight line during all weather is one of them. You can just keep going in a direction, till you hit border or a landmark, then you adjust your course. In reality, most people step on their right foot more dominantly then on their left foot, which means we are constantly curving to the right. This is not an issue normally because what eyes can see, the brain can fix. But with limited visibility, the brain cant fix your path because you cant see your own way well. This leads to people, walking in giant circles during low visibility, often dying in blizzards because they were walking in circles.

You can put on the tough guy act if you want, I agree that maps and map knowledge is good enough, but there most definitedly is use for more easier ways to navigate. If such marks save my clothing conditions a couple of percents per every blizzard, it was a worthy investment to make them out of readily available materials. 

Archived