It's a BEAR!

TreeBeard

So, been playing the game for about 6 months and have succesfully avoided bears in nearly all of my games (my closest encounter was to run very fast away from one, that was in fairness, quite a long way away :)). I've never bothered to try and hunt one because it just seems to suicidal given that (as @KinoUnko quite rightly states) they have the ability teleport huge distances in the blink of an eye.

That changed last night.

There I was, in my CH secondary base at the fishing huts, happily making some stuff on the workbench, the two hours making time elapsed and I come out of that screen to find I was being sat on and roughly manhandled by this feller... (this is a stock shot, not the actual culprit, who's identity is yet to be established)

bear1.thumb.jpg.46856c8a68f2cddd6d7fd44b7ece7764.jpg

...needless to say it was most unsettling and literally made me cry out (in RL) :D. He / she gave me a right good duffing about and then left me dishevelled on the floor with bits and pieces all over the place. I was livid!

I gathered my stuff, checked my wounds, which were suprisingly minimal, and then peaked around the corner of the hut to see where the varmint was, and it was slowly trundling away up the coast road. So I did what any self-respecting survivor would when his persoange had been so indecently ravaged... I shot that bugger in the arse!
Then quickly hid inside my hut.

That'll teach him I thought, and what's more, tonight when I log in, I gonna track down his big furry corpse and harvest the c**p outa him!  :D

Yeah, those bears CAN be deadly. If you’re at 100% condition, you’re almost  guaranteed to survive the initial attack. But if you’re wounded, or you keep pressing buttons (I’m pretty sure if you play dead by not pressing anything, you suffer less) you will be wounded more, or dead. But yeah, pro bear hunting tip, shoot him in the but when he’s A: out of sight or scent range or  B: walking away from a mauling (have cover handy just in case) and if he starts to flee, open the radial menu, select camp craft, then the cards to pass time. Pass time for a few hours while he’s in your sight, he’ll drop quickly. He’s movement speed doesn’t appear to change, but the time is fast-forwarded and he’s bleeding very fast. When he drops, harvest that bad boy for however much you need (don’t freeze :D) and you’re done! You can do the same for any animal.

I killed that bear once from the furthest dock: the one you can only get to from that collapsed intersection of docks, and where a wolf can often be found acting strangely because it can't get away.

The bear can't get to you there, I believe.  Instead of charging me, it just ran around in panic mode until it died.

yeah, always have escape route within 20 paces when bear hunting, up fallen trees, cliff faces, or indoor shelters. If you have to sprint your entire stamina bar to reach escape location chances are you will get mauled.

Best place for bear hunting is Farm house in PV. A bear passes in front of the SW patio every 3 weeks pretty much on the dot. One kill provides enough meat to last till the next bear comes along. duck in and out of the patio will keep the bear from running away so you don't have to make multiple trips to haul the meat back. 

23 hours ago, KinoUnko said:

Best place for bear hunting is Farm house in PV. A bear passes in front of the SW patio every 3 weeks pretty much on the dot. One kill provides enough meat to last till the next bear comes along. duck in and out of the patio will keep the bear from running away so you don't have to make multiple trips to haul the meat back. 

I have always wanted to try this hunting place. Too bad I hate PV.  But now the bears can enter fishing huts and so on, so I don't know if this is a safe hunting spot anymore:/

hm... maybe... I managed 3 bears this way in PV, they lose me soon as I duck inside the patio (the one facing Signal Hill) since it's "Indoor" as far as the game is concerned. Step out and they turn to charge me. This is in v1.12+. First one was with rifle. 2nd and 3rd were with bow/arrows. Open porch facing Skeeter's Ridge is a different story, wolves will get close to attack, safe to assume bears will also.

I generally leave bears alone though, the ones at PV farm house just happened to be easy picking since I happened to see it pass by when I stepped out in the morning.

On 4. 10. 2017 at 5:45 PM, omoon66 said:

If you’re at 100% condition, you’re almost  guaranteed to survive the initial attack.

That depends on the difficulty. In case of Pilgrim, bear maulings do minimal damage and you shoudl be able to survive two in a row.

On Voyager, it takes about 40%, so you can usually survive two in a row.

On Stalker, you will survive the first one, but I dont think you can survive two in a row. So as long as you are in full condition, you are fine.

I have never been mauled by bear on Interloper, but i know others were. I believe you can just barely survive that one (in fact I think the wolves are maybe even more dangerous then bears on Interloper - but thats a guess, if someone has different experience, please do tell)

So, on full condition, you are quaranteed to survive the bear mauling, altough at very bad injuries.

But if you’re wounded, or you keep pressing buttons (I’m pretty sure if you play dead by not pressing anything, you suffer less) you will be wounded more, or dead.

That is a common thought of many players, but whether or not you press anything or not, it makes no difference. Bear is always in total control. That is why bear mauling and wolf struggles are fundamentaly different. Press buttons or not, it makes no difference.

But yeah, pro bear hunting tip, shoot him in the but when he’s A: out of sight or scent range

Congratulations, by following this tip, you just died to a bear. This only makes sense if you are hunting with a bow, as bow is silent. You can be out of sight range with rifle, and by hitting the bear it will always run straight to you. Rifle cant be used to snipe a bear half of a region away to negate for the great sound burst the shot makes - rifles dont have that kind of range. So, if you can arc a bowshot at distance, do so. Be sure to drop all the baits first if you do this, and negate your smell entirely.

3 hours ago, KinoUnko said:

hm... maybe... I managed 3 bears this way in PV, they lose me soon as I duck inside the patio (the one facing Signal Hill) since it's "Indoor" as far as the game is concerned

It works like that most of the time, but not always. I would be VERY careful when doing that. Especially if you get close to the outside wall while using that patio... the bear can read you as accessible and still maul you throught he wall. Furthermore, doing so will result in you and the bear getting under the Farmhouse. The thing is, bear doesnt give a damn about whether or not its inside or not - most caves are inside as well from some point and animals can get into them... correct term would be "outer indoors" which is the same as caves. 

It all depends on pathfinding of the animal. If it can read you as in accesible location (they cant jump, and will never try falling, which is why its possible to get into places where they cant reach you, like trees, hills, etc). Patio is not a bad place to shoot bears from, but it is not 100% safe, so keep that in mind.

1 hour ago, Mroz4k said:

I have never been mauled by bear on Interloper, but i know others were. I believe you can just barely survive that one (in fact I think the wolves are maybe even more dangerous then bears on Interloper - but thats a guess, if someone has different experience, please do tell)

I saw someone got mauled by a bear once  in interloper and it left him at 6%. But he was already at 50% when it attacked him. That's pretty forgiving considering that he was playing the hardest mode in the game. It was back in 2016 october, so maybe it has changed now. 

On 04/10/2017 at 4:45 PM, omoon66 said:

Pass time for a few hours while he’s in your sight, he’ll drop quickly. He’s movement speed doesn’t appear to change, but the time is fast-forwarded and he’s bleeding very fast. When he drops, harvest that bad boy for however much you need (don’t freeze :D) and you’re done! You can do the same for any animal.

Damn! I didn't know you could do that. This I have to try.

3 hours ago, starfighter441 said:

The bears can enter fishing huts now? Since when?

I didn't know this either... good job someone told me, because I would've probably used one for shelter if I'd been close to it.

Varmint update:
As yet the corpse has not been located, I've been Wintermuting the last couple of days - hey, I like that word... 'wintermuting': travelling to work in winter time. :P

Not to worry, I'm not working this weekend, so I've got a lot of bear-harvesting time on my hands.  :huntingknife:+:fire:=:peaches: ( @Mel Guille we need a bear & a meat emoji please)  :D

I only have 3 bears worth of anecdotes to go by. 

The farm house patio worked even if I'm only half way through the screen door, bear lose track from as close as the dog house. That said, there's a minimum distance where the mauling sequence will trigger and no amount of collision test will help you at that point. Wolves will get you through walls, or "jump" up cliffs or trees that way, I expect bears would behave the same. But it's a fairly short distance and it's really on you for getting that close. Fishing huts are so small that even through the wall it may be close enough to trigger the sequence. Also not all "Indoor" areas are the same.

As far as bear is concerned, no amount of caution is too much. The farm house patio has added safety line of going inside completely, the only other location with this available is the maintenance yard in BR. 

20 minutes ago, KinoUnko said:

As far as bear is concerned, no amount of caution is too much.

lol, I totally agree.

22 minutes ago, KinoUnko said:

Wolves will get you through walls, or "jump" up cliffs or trees that way, I expect bears would behave the same.

Yep, I've definitely had a wolf 'magically' scale a small cliff to savage me - there were a lot of expletives shouted at the screen on that occasion. :/ But hey, if an animal's determined to chew your ass off, then that's just the way of the world, right? 

I got attacked by a wolf in a fishing hut a few days ago as soon as my attempt to start a fire failed (PS4, Interloper, ML in the hut nearest the island in the lake on the side towards the Camp Office structure). I'd snuck in on stealth, and while starting the mag glass fire in the stove I heard him growl and go into threaten mode, then the fire failed and within a second of failing I was in a wolf struggle (I hadn't  moved as I was about to start trying the fire again). Came out ok, so no real harm done, but definitely a surprise. Not sure if he attacked through the wall or door, it wasn't from a direction I was looking (at the stove). Normally the wolves ignore me in huts.

54 minutes ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Bears should not be able to enter fishing huts - if you encounter this please report it as a bug here: https://hinterlandgames.atlassian.net/projects/TLDP/issues

Thank you!

I just figured the bears were looking to catch a tasty salmon, and were upset that we had already taken their favorite fishing hole.

They're not very polite, those bears.

16 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Congratulations, by following this tip, you just died to a bear. This only makes sense if you are hunting with a bow, as bow is silent. You can be out of sight range with rifle, and by hitting the bear it will always run straight to you. Rifle cant be used to snipe a bear half of a region away to negate for the great sound burst the shot makes - rifles dont have that kind of range. So, if you can arc a bowshot at distance, do so. Be sure to drop all the baits first if you do this, and negate your smell entirely.

Yeah, I guess that is true, but I’m a bow user by default, which is why this works. And, I meant that as an option, which I don’t take often since I just take cover and he does nothing to me. But if in the open, this is my go-to strategy.

And as far as I know, if you’re 100% behinds the bear, shooting him makes him flee (with a bow, but I think the only case he would run from a bullet to the butt is if you’re in cover, and he loses interest because he can’t reach you), but I think only if he’s walking away from a mauling, or isn’t aware of your presence (ie being behind him, out of sight and smell) correct me if I’m wrong, or add to it if there’s anything else.

6 hours ago, omoon66 said:

And as far as I know, if you’re 100% behinds the bear, shooting him makes him flee (with a bow, but I think the only case he would run from a bullet to the butt is if you’re in cover, and he loses interest because he can’t reach you), but I think only if he’s walking away from a mauling, or isn’t aware of your presence (ie being behind him, out of sight and smell) correct me if I’m wrong, or add to it if there’s anything else.

You can get mauled by the same bear twice in a row, even when he is walking away from the mauling (and bleeding from the first shot), shooting it again will re-trigger the defence mechanism and the bear will jump you again.

100% behind the bear does not help at all. As long as you are within detection radius, it will rush you after the shot is connected - and if you are not in the detection radius, it will flee. Even bow makes some sound when fired, although much lower then the gun, it will prompt the bear to look in that direction. 

18 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

You can get mauled by the same bear twice in a row, even when he is walking away from the mauling (and bleeding from the first shot), shooting it again will re-trigger the defence mechanism and the bear will jump you again.

100% behind the bear does not help at all. As long as you are within detection radius, it will rush you after the shot is connected - and if you are not in the detection radius, it will flee. Even bow makes some sound when fired, although much lower then the gun, it will prompt the bear to look in that direction. 

Ok, good to know. I’ve never tried it (after a mauling)  but it was my speculation. 

9 hours ago, Mixxut said:

I got also attacked by a wolf inside a fishing hut. I also heard somewhere that wildlife can do it now, so I didn't question it.

Yes, that’s happening now, but this is what a dev had to say

On 10/6/2017 at 0:51 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

Bears should not be able to enter fishing huts - if you encounter this please report it as a bug here: https://hinterlandgames.atlassian.net/projects/TLDP/issues

Thank you!

Apparently, some animals are doing this. But, I assume the devs will fix these with their next patch (which is hopefully soon).

10 hours ago, omoon66 said:

Yes, that’s happening now, but this is what a dev had to say

Apparently, some animals are doing this. But, I assume the devs will fix these with their next patch (which is hopefully soon).

I kinda liked that they can enter fishing huts now. It was so easy and unrealistic to go inside a fishing hut without a door and be good.

On 07/10/2017 at 3:51 AM, Patrick Carlson said:

Bears should not be able to enter fishing huts

Several people have recently reported in these forums that both bears and wolves can now attack players inside fishing huts.

On 07/10/2017 at 1:00 AM, TreeBeard said:

Varmint update:
As yet the corpse has not been located, I've been Wintermuting the last couple of days - hey, I like that word... 'wintermuting': travelling to work in winter time. :P

Odds are you'll never find it. There's a long-standing bug where if you shoot a bear, then duck into a building to wait for it to bleed out, the bear won't die. I've also had it happen to me once with a deer.

There is a workaround, however. If you shoot the varmint then enter a building, you must exit the building again in less than 60 seconds. After that, if you go back inside, the bear will still bleed out.

4 hours ago, JAFO said:

Odds are you'll never find it. There's a long-standing bug where if you shoot a bear, then duck into a building to wait for it to bleed out, the bear won't die. I've also had it happen to me once with a deer.

There is a workaround, however. If you shoot the varmint then enter a building, you must exit the building again in less than 60 seconds. After that, if you go back inside, the bear will still bleed out.

Yeah, I searched around but couldn't find a bear corpse (did manage to bag a wolf & deer at the same time though - see pic below - always a treat). And, yes, the next day a bear did stroll past the hut, which made me ponder because I thought the spawn time was longer than that, so you're explanation makes sense.

Ooooh, those pesky bears.

Still, I'm currently sojourning in Desolation Point while I use the forge; there seems to be a lot less widlife there... are there any bears in DP, I don't think I've ever seen one?

305620_screenshots_20171004185433_1.thumb.jpg.268208a0464510b19034788dcfb99b00.jpg

Archived