Gun Cleaning Mechanic

The_Materialist

Hi there!

I noticed something when I got my rifle a few days ago in story mode. I Haven't been playing for a long time and came back to story mode and I am hooked at the survival mode since then. 

To the issue I had: I loaded the rifle to see how many rounds i had. Since I had 13 the rifle was fully loaded, when I spotted the cleaning kit in the lodge I was was wondering if I could clean the loaded rifle. Tried it and it worked! Is anybody else bothered by this? I try not to be bitchy about it but come on! This is like asking for an accident. Anyone who has only the slightest experience with weapons knows that you do unload before cleaning not only because it is neccessary for safety reasons but also because you cannot clean the rifle properly if it is loaded. I mean this should not be too hard to implement that. I suggest makeing it mandatory to unload the rifle before cleaning.

And since I am already nitpicking: Refueling a stormlantern while the are running is also not really a thing in real life. A storm lantern needs to be pumped up to have the neccessary gas pressure to function properly and if you open it to refuel it will not function. And I wouldn't do that for safety reasons too, the lamp is hot and has a ignition source, this in combination with gas is like asking to set yourself on fire.

I know those are details but I think it would add some "think-about-what-you-are-doing-before-you-do-it" mentality. I am not asking for injuries while repairing or loading a gun, I just want it to be unloaded to be able to do so. The same for the stormlantern.

I think these are in just for the sake of making the tasks a little bit less tedious. It takes no game-time to unload a rifle, but it would delay the player a bit, so I don't necessarily have an issue with it. If it worked the way you want it to, the player would have to reload the gun after and depending on how many bullets one has, this can be a bit obnoxious. You can always unload it yourself if you choose to do so, for immersion reasons.

It's a bit different with the running storm lantern. This bothers me a bit, too. But it's a tiny cosmetical change so I can survive it - I would rather see them work on the new content for the game or fix game-essential bugs instead. 

6 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

fix game-essential bugs instead

I can agree on that, bugs have first priority since they break the game. But I think it is the great number of little great things which lead to the overall greatness of the game. It is a low hanging fruit to implement and it would add a lot of immersion for the price, it would be a bit annoying for some people but to be honest those things are annoying IRL too. I will probably go on and do this for myself just for immersion reasons. 

I feel you, and I have never, ever ever ever cleaned a rifle without unloading it first. I love the loading animation too much:D so I will often unload my rifle just to reload it again. Also, this is a little thing, but I can see a lot of people being confused why they cant clean their rifle - because they wouldn't know to unload it first. People don't often think like in real life, pretty much this is because gamers are used to the computer game logic in video games. A scourge for realistic games everywhere...

40 minutes ago, The_Materialist said:

Yeah, that is probably why a lot of people are not bothered by this. The loading animation is really worth the unloading =D. I loave the gun rack too, I'm still looking for a second rifle for my gun rack in the trappers cabin =D.

Plenty of rifles in the world :D should be able to find 4-6 rifles if you loot the entire accessible map. If you are still struggling, there is usually one rifle and solid ammunition stock in the plane crates at Timberwolf mountain. :) 

Not so easy for me, I am afraid. Currently playing an early alpha version of the game, which only has ML and CH for regions - and there is no guarantee to even find a rifle at all, which is the only weapon of the game, too. Luckily already found one... at Trappers.

14 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Plenty of rifles in the world :D should be able to find 4-6 rifles if you loot the entire accessible map. If you are still struggling, there is usually one rifle and solid ammunition stock in the plane crates at Timberwolf mountain. :) 

Not so easy for me, I am afraid. Currently playing an early alpha version of the game, which only has ML and CH for regions - and there is no guarantee to even find a rifle at all, which is the only weapon of the game, too. Luckily already found one... at Trappers.

I wish nowadays there was no guarantee for a rifle in all maps. TWM is a static spawn which I hate.

4 hours ago, Fuarian said:

I wish nowadays there was no guarantee for a rifle in all maps. TWM is a static spawn which I hate.

It's a 100%, but as far as I know, it's randomly distributed in between the boxes in the region, so you don't actually know in which the rifle will be. Sometimes you have to search them all to get it. It's not that bad. In fact, in case of a very bad luck, that could be the only rifle in the game, and a game without one would be bad for some players as some players don't know how to use the bow very well.

20 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Also, this is a little thing, but I can see a lot of people being confused why they cant clean their rifle - because they wouldn't know to unload it first. People don't often think like in real life, pretty much this is because gamers are used to the computer game logic in video games. A scourge for realistic games everywhere...

This is easily fixed.. allow them to clean a loaded rifle.. but have a 100% chance of the weapon discharging.. doesn't necessarily have to hurt them (though it should).. just the loss of a round (and maybe a big loss of condition to the rifle) would be painful enough. And that way, they'll learn a valuable lesson about real-life weapon handling.

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

This is easily fixed.. allow them to clean a loaded rifle.. but have a 100% chance of the weapon discharging.. doesn't necessarily have to hurt them (though it should).. just the loss of a round (and maybe a big loss of condition to the rifle) would be painful enough. And that way, they'll learn a valuable lesson about real-life weapon handling.

I would already be oke with something like the "adding coal to fire mechanic" it simply says: "You cannot clean a loaded rifle." But I think most people who hurt themselves with weapons do this whilst cleaning it while it is loaded, so that could be a thing.

Well guys, by being too procedural, TLD will end up like arma 3, with so many commands and menus/sub-menus, that it is too complicated and digusts new players. Don't forget that TLD is by no way realistic (wildlife behavior, number of calories, starvation mecanism, etc). And if we're talking about gun education and security, well, first of all don't try to hunt a bear... Not even talking about all of the countries where guns are heavily restricted, so it isn't even a matter.
Let's just keep it all simple stupid.  ;)

11 minutes ago, StrayCat said:

first of all don't try to hunt a bear...

But why?? This is the best part of the game! I love bear hunting, hunting deer or wolfs is super easy, the only thing that is harder to hunt is bears.

I don't think this would overcomplicate the things too much, and I know the game is far from realistic but I like the think before you do someting mentality of the game. 

3 hours ago, The_Materialist said:

I don't think this would overcomplicate the things too much

So many little things could be implemented... For guns, it could be the security selector, being more stable when proning, halting respiration to shoot, and the list can go on for a long time. Sweating mecanism could also be implemented, needing to manage your clothes in order not to freeze outside. And so on.

My point is that 1 little thing + 1 little thing + 1 little thing + 1 little thing [...]+ 1 little thing + 1 little thing, which all deserve to be implemented... = the game becomes a sum of little actions that take all your time from dawn to dusk.

8 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

It's a 100%, but as far as I know, it's randomly distributed in between the boxes in the region, so you don't actually know in which the rifle will be. Sometimes you have to search them all to get it. It's not that bad. In fact, in case of a very bad luck, that could be the only rifle in the game, and a game without one would be bad for some players as some players don't know how to use the bow very well.

It's always in the one at the Summit.

6 hours ago, StrayCat said:

So many little things could be implemented... For guns, it could be the security selector, being more stable when proning, halting respiration to shoot, and the list can go on for a long time. Sweating mecanism could also be implemented, needing to manage your clothes in order not to freeze outside. And so on.

My point is that 1 little thing + 1 little thing + 1 little thing + 1 little thing [...]+ 1 little thing + 1 little thing, which all deserve to be implemented... = the game becomes a sum of little actions that take all your time from dawn to dusk.

Please. The game doesn't even have bullet drop... I agree there is no need to over-complicate things, but the simple idea of unloading your weapons while cleaning them is not that horrible of a complication. And it's true that if there was even a chance to hurt oneself by an accidental discharge of a loaded gun, it wouldn't make the game necessarily more complicated.

And what you claim is just overstressing it - the game needs more actions to make it more immersive. Obviously, nobody wants it ridiculously complicated, but adding a simple little thing here and there can only make the game more immersive.

My issue is more in terms of "coding" - this is really not a necessary addition, so there is little point to waste the time of devs on this. 

26 minutes ago, snakevondoof said:

now that you guys mention it, since the rifle at the summit is a 100% spawn, I know interloper goodies at the summit are bare minimum, is there a rifle at the summit on interloper? id check myself but id rather ask before I go through that torture lol

No bullets, rifles, bows or arrows spawn in Interloper. The most you can find are arrow shafts and arrowheads on occasion. Of course, you can find flare guns. But no rifles or bows. If you want a bow, you will need to craft it, and you cant get rifle other than through cheats.

On Interloper, there are exactly half of all the cargo containers then there are usually in a voyageur game. So for example in the Engine ravine, there are usually two containers (times two, so 4 lootable parts of it) - on Interloper, there will be only 1 container (2lootables).

And the rifle does not necessarily spawn on the top. As far as I can tell, it's randomly generated.

2 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

No bullets, rifles, bows or arrows spawn in Interloper. The most you can find are arrow shafts and arrowheads on occasion. Of course, you can find flare guns. But no rifles or bows. If you want a bow, you will need to craft it, and you cant get rifle other than through cheats.

On Interloper, there are exactly half of all the cargo containers then there are usually in a voyageur game. So for example in the Engine ravine, there are usually two containers (times two, so 4 lootable parts of it) - on Interloper, there will be only 1 container (2lootables).

And the rifle does not necessarily spawn on the top. As far as I can tell, it's randomly generated.

good to know! i was planning on another interloper run soon, summit certainly wont be a priority. thanks!

13 minutes ago, snakevondoof said:

good to know! i was planning on another interloper run soon, summit certainly wont be a priority. thanks!

It should be. You will definitely want those supplies up there, if not for anything else than for the flare gun which is an amazing bear killing weapon. And with Interloper having gradually worse conditions, you will want to get up top as soon as possible. It's on par with making your own tools, it should be one of the priorities thing, at least that's what I would recommend.

Archived