Lighting a torch (Xbox)

omoon66

Why? Why is it so annoying. After about 2-100 times trying to light it, it's pretty annoying. First, equip the torch. Second, press RT (if you have an option between a match or fire striker, it's annoying) then, you have to press and HOLD A, and if you don't, you waste a match, and have to try again. Just make it press A and that's it. I've wasted a bunt he of matches trying to light ONE torch. But it gets worse. If you have just matches, lighting a torch once uses TWO matches. WHAT?! I'm not a happy survivor right now >:( And now I've wasted almost 36 matches testing this

Yeah I've had this happen a few times what really annoys me is that it doesn't let me light another torch with a lit torch on the ground . Really frustrating when you are trying to save matches on interloper.

Not sure if it's a bug / intended as I've seen Geltaz doing it on an older version. Anyone else tried this on Xbox?

And then after that are you going to use your firestriker to light torches? What's the point? Drop bait if you are trying to dodge wolves. Or use a lantern which doesn't decay plus lantern fuel is harvestable. Can't you use a magnifying glass to light torches too?

53 minutes ago, JCM_TLD said:

And then after that are you going to use your firestriker to light torches? What's the point? Drop bait if you are trying to dodge wolves. Or use a lantern which doesn't decay plus lantern fuel is harvestable. Can't you use a magnifying glass to light torches too?

1. I want to save my firestriker for lighting actual fires, since it has a better chance of lighting 2. I wasn’t dodging wolves 3. I didn’t have a lantern with me 4. Yes, but I didn’t have a mag glass, and I was in a cave. Next time I will bring a fueled lantern, but I’m just stating that lighting torches is a little stupid on Xbox

It isn't a bug it is a game mechanic that he is complaining about.

I agree it is a stupid one but I have just learned to live with over time as playing on the Xbox after I discovered how it works.

On the Xbox if you only have matches the default way of lighting your torch is to equip the torch and hold the right trigger.  If you have matches and a firestricker the game lets you choose which to use, however after selecting the lighting source you then have to hold the a button and I am assuming the x button on ps4 to light the torch.  If you don't hold the correct button you only get a little bit of the circle to fill and waste a match or some of the firestricker.  Then you have do the same process over again wasting the first match.

I wasted resources learning this because I wanted to select the lighting source and then hold the right trigger to light the torch.  Where I can agree and sympathize with OP, I think it is better to be given the choose than have the game pick for you.

It is just the implementation of the mechanic isn't explained well after the game teaches you a certain way of doing something.

Unless I am completely wrong from what the OP is taking about.

6 minutes ago, svluu said:

It isn't a bug it is a game mechanic that he is complaining about.

I agree it is a stupid one but I have just learned to live with over time as playing on the Xbox after I discovered how it works.

On the Xbox if you only have matches the default way of lighting your torch is to equip the torch and hold the right trigger.  If you have matches and a firestricker the game lets you choose which to use, however after selecting the lighting source you then have to hold the a button and I am assuming the x button on ps4 to light the torch.  If you don't hold the correct button you only get a little bit of the circle to fill and waste a match or some of the firestricker.  Then you have do the same process over again wasting the first match.

I wasted resources learning this because I wanted to select the lighting source and then hold the right trigger to light the torch.  Where I can agree and sympathize with OP, I think it is better to be given the choose than have the game pick for you.

It is just the implementation of the mechanic isn't explained well after the game teaches you a certain way of doing something.

Unless I am completely wrong from what the OP is taking about.

Yes! Thank you, that’s exactly what I’m saying. I’m just calling out an annoying feature. But there’s not much I can do right now, so I’ll just have to live with it until (or if) they fix it

It's not just Xbox, I have trouble on PC too. I switched on accessible interactions in the menu and that helps with most interactions, but doesn't seem to work for lighting a torch. Also, if you are trying to light a torch from another torch or from a fire, it's easy to miss if you are in a hurry - even using a mouse - and waste a match. I try to carry more than one firelighting source for that reason, so that I can cancel and avoid it happening. But it's still finicky.

Archived