Flares? Torches? Did they change?

brian71mm

Alright so I'm a veteran to tld and I remember being able to scare wolves away with flares and torches by throwing them attitude seems like that doesn't even work anymore. At what point do I need to throw it and if I need to at all? It doesn't matter if I have meat or not the wolves always attack me and I think its bs!

They do, but far less usually then they used to (if by veteran you mean the versions of the game in 2014). Also, you need to pick just the right time to throw it for it to be effective. If the wolf is already running at you, it will not scare them off - but if its in its growling stage, thrown flare or torch can scare them off. Also, some people say that if the wolf is still coming towards you, throwing doesnt help. It needs to be in its growling stage, supposedly.

I admit I have little experience in this regard, since brandishing got removed - I just shoot them with a bow on encounter, or get into a struggle. I only attempt this when I am weapon-less.

In order for a thrown torch or flare to have any chance of scaring a wolf, it has to literally hit them in the face, or it has to be thrown to such a position that the wolf must step directly on it while advancing towards you AND before it goes into attack mode. Even then, it seems to be about a 50/50 proposition. If they dont step directly on it, forget about it. 

Personally, I've gotten to the point in this game that I LOATHE them so much, I won't bother tying to scare them. Either IT dies, or I do. No other outcome.

I spent 4 hours last night (its my day off calm down) trying to figure it out and at lbs I did. So when the wolf is coming at you, you more or less have to stand your ground or slowly back up. Usually with a lit flare or torch they will stop in front of you a few feet, put their head down and growl. At this point is when you throw the torch or flare. Without food causing a scent it was about a 70% success rate, with food it was more of a 40-60 ratio. 60% you're probably screwed. 

I used to have that issue too.. I died from a wolf attack in my first run since 1.5 years but I figured wolfes out now. Keep a decoy on you on all times. I recommend a tiny piece of meat that you get by cancling the eating process at the last second. You will lose 30 kcal or so which is not much but the wolfe treats it as if it was 1kg of meat. If he spots you drop the decoy and walk back he will eat the meat and leave you alone. I use flares and torches as light/heat source only now because the keeping wolfs at bay purpose of it is pure gamble. Decoys always work. You can also easily kill the wolf like this.

Archived