What is the first thing you did in the long dark?

JACKROX_12234

I'm not sure exactly where I spawned in ML and what I did, but the thing that sticks in my mind is the green backpack by the fence on the way up to the ruined lookout.

I was wandering around aimlessly trying to find some kind of shelter and I followed the road with the sign up from the clear cut.  I came across that backpack and it really connected me to the game: who left this here?  The weather was getting bad and I was nervous about going further up, so I went through the break in the fence and headed downslope, getting my first strain in the process.

Somehow I ended up in the logging camp, but it's that backpack that I mostly remember.

Wow... that's too long ago to remember! :D

I did have a leg up on playing since I saw The Long Dark previewed on "Let's Nope" which is part of "Loading Ready Run". So, I already knew the basics (how to start a fire, get food, etc.). The first thing I remember though is I spawned in the Coastal Highway and while exploring I got in a wolf struggle. I survived but was down to about 17% condition when I stumbled into a trailer. I went to bed to sleep it off... only to succumb to the long dark! I didn't know that the wolf had destroyed my clothing so I was still freezing in the trailer. And I had everything I needed to make a fire in my inventory too. O.o

8 hours ago, kometax said:

Spawned at upper-left corner of ML at night, during blizzard. Miraculously menage to get to trappers cabin seconds before freezing to death. Lived.

Same spawn, also at night during a blizzard.  I froze to death before I found shelter.

A Steam buddy of mine used to be into survival sims, and when I decided to try one of these, apart from some very vague hints I could gather from him I had absolutely no idea what this kind of game could be like - I was intrigued by the idea of loneliness and isolation, I guess...

It's kind of difficult to recall how it started... Spawned near Mystery Lake and wandered aimlessly among the lake cabins... night was coming and it started to get cold... I made a fire, figured how to make water, ate a little... went to sleep... It's really not much else to it. What I remember the best is boldly shambling along the railtracks in the raging storm of a blizzard thinking, "well if they have railroads there must be some stations along the way... eventually I'll come across something..." Not knowing a thing about world layout then, I was heading into the Ravine, then stumbled upon some derailed boxcars, lost my bearings, tried to return and froze to death...

Playing Voyageur, you started in Mystery Lake, and died in Mystery Lake. You survived for 1 day 4 hours 50 minutes.

My next sandbox continued well past 100 days, so it was a steep learning curve... Now here I am, 350 hrs of playtime and going...

Archived