Auto-Move Key Just Like in Skyrim

corbanez

Hello, ive played about 65 hours after than i took a break for a long time. After all these updates i wanted to have a look what's changed and played again 5 mins ago but i didnt see the major problem about moving.

So, im sure there are alot of Skyrim players here and they can easily remember that the "c key binding" in the game. I mean the aut-move key i used to assaign to "c" key for it idk maybe the default key was different. So, you just press the key and let the character goes forward automaticly and you could control only the mouse ;)

Why does not still The Long Dark have this ability ? It would be awesome because we need to MOVE almost forward in this game to discover and it means you have to put your middle finger always on the "w key" and it's just frustration and ice on the cake :D I hope you know what i meant.

I guess this key binding example is a feature that should be in the game to make play this game easier.

Sincerely.

G'day @corbanez, and welcome to the forums!

This is a feature request that's been made to the devs a number of times, and we're STILL waiting for it.. lots of us feel the same as you do about it.

In the meantime, if you're playing on Windows, there IS a solution that will let you add autowalk to the game. I make use of it all the time.

See this thread for how to set it up.

Theres also a trick you can use to do it without scripts.  If your mouse has extra buttons, (like the two on the side) assign "walk" to one of them, instead of w.  Now, while pressing that button, hit shift/tab to open the steam overlay. once its open, release the mouse button, and hit shift/tab again to close it.

It seems like a few extra steps at first, but once you do it a few times, the whole process takes only a split second, and your character will continue walking forward until you press that mouse button again, or unless you use some other keypress that normally would stop you from walking. Even a loading screen doesnt make you stop. You can transition zones without losing a step. 

As a last resourt you can use a small hammer. I've got one that exactly fits a key and acts as my mechanical auto run. Also makes it easy to remember that auto run is on.

Nb. this is not suitable for people who quickly lose their temper, in that case having a hammer near a computer might result in additional costs. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Archived