snakevondoof

this first one wasn't actually an Idea I had myself, I had read about it on a different topic, but id like to see if expanded upon. the idea is some sort of transport sleigh. given that people like the idea, I'm curious how youd want it to be balanced? I could go either way with this, I do like the idea of hauling my bear meat after harvesting or the ungodly amount of firewood I like to keep stocked. but I also enjoy having to think about what I really want to bring and leave. that being said,  anyone have ideas on how it could be crafted and then implemented?

then the idea I had while killing rabbits, when you pick them up I thought it would be interesting to be able to keep them in a sort of cage so they can breed and you have a sustainable food source, if out of walking distance from a fishing hut. a problem I could see with this is an exploit to raise rifle/bow levels, "rabbits in a barrel". maybe a way around it would be no XP from them if killed in the pen?

anyway, just kinda spit firing and hoping for ideas and discussion :) 

For the Toboggan/Sled idea, I personally don't care strongly either way, but if it were to be implemented either officially or through mod support, I'd like it to function similarly to that of the Log Sled from the game The Forest. Simply pressing a button to load up or unload the sled would be simple enough, but what would the limitations be? Perhaps the sled would better act as a container, where the inventory menu pops up. But how about getting behind the sled to drive it through the snow? What happens when it is driven into a tree, into a wolf or bear, off a cliff, or over weak ice? What about when you're attacked while driving it? There would be very many bugs to work out from these factors, and many possibilities to consider, but overall I think it has a lot of potential.

I believe the rabbit farm has been an idea floating around the community for quite some time, not sure who started it. Like anything else, this too would have bugs, exploits, etc. to consider and work around, but I feel as though officially this feature will not be implemented. Through mods, maybe. I cannot envision Hinterland going for an "easy food source/farm" or "pet in a cage" idea. In my opinion, it just wouldn't fit with the rest of the game.

Well, the idea of having rabbits multiply is fun, but it wouldnt really work, because of the amount of work you would have with them to have them grow up into a full, mature state just to eat them in the end it would not be worth it. The rabbit cages were tended to by farmers who had an access to all kinds of food, and rabbits were just one of them. They would use the scraps of whats left from the harvest to feed the rabbits and eventually have one or two for a meal to switch up their diet. 

In the survival scenario, especially in a TLD frozen wasteland, all of these drop out entirely. Taking care of the rabbits every day to have them finally grow up after months into maturity for the meager few calories you get out of them is silly. Free rabbits can dig up their own calories for food, but imprisoned ones rely on you for food. On top of it such farm would need to be indoors because free rabbits can escape cold on their own, but imprisoned ones cant. Would all freeze to death if left outside on a blizzard. 

So, unless you would want to have something immersion breaking like "5 ingame days you get a fully grown rabbit to eat" then this really is just a ridiculous idea.

As for the "sled" - I dont really have a problem with it. I imagine some kind of a "drag sled", something you would pull behind yourself. I imagine it could work somewhat similar to "cars" in games like Arma. Like, you would "hold onto the sled", which would "put" you in front of it like when you are climbing down the rope, you could only go forward, in order to go backwards you would have to come to a complete stop, and turn around, your movement speed would be slower based on how heavy the sled is, and turning left and right would be more "difficult" while walking - would make more of a curve. Also, the beggining of the movement would be slower, and once you are already in move, it would become a bit faster, to encourage player to keep moving instead of stopping all the time. You wouldnt be able to hold anything in your hands, like no weapons or light sources... Boost to movement speed when going downhill is pretty obvious. 

Just imagine what "dragging something heavy behind you" would feel like in real life. 

Archived