Lost rifle (dropped in Forlorn Muskeg, can't find it again)

dnkw

Hi folks

Can you help/advise? I've stupidly managed to lose my rifle while trying to find Jeremiah's bunker in Forlon Muskeg.

A blizzard blew up and being rather underprepared/overconfident (having killed the Bear in 'Jeremiah's Folly' not long before) I ended up nearly freezing to death. My brilliant plan? Drop the rifle to stop being overweight and then run back to Trapper's cabin.

I managed to survive (just) but now when I go back to where I think I dropped it, it's nowhere to be seen. I've searched pretty extensively and just can't find it. 

Is it possible that dropped items disappear if you leave them and switch regions?

Also, is this the only rifle in this part of the game (and am I therefore ruined if I don't find it)?

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to the forums @dnkw!

1 hour ago, dnkw said:

A blizzard blew up and being rather underprepared/overconfident (having killed the Bear in 'Jeremiah's Folly' not long before) I ended up nearly freezing to death. My brilliant plan? Drop the rifle to stop being overweight and then run back to Trapper's cabin.

Honestly this was a good decision.  A rifle does you no good if you are dead.

1 hour ago, dnkw said:

Is it possible that dropped items disappear if you leave them and switch regions?

No, it's should be still out there.  Occasionally bugs crop up where items drop through the world -- which platform do you play on? PC. Xbox, etc? 

1 hour ago, dnkw said:

Also, is this the only rifle in this part of the game

I think it is.  But is your run ruined?  Only if you really need the rifle to obtain food.  There are always cattails, bunnies and stones, and the distress pistol from the dam (which will kill a wolf at close range), or just scaring a wolf away from the deer it killed.

9 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

Welcome to the forums @dnkw!

Honestly this was a good decision.  A rifle does you no good if you are dead.

No, it's should be still out there.  Occasionally bugs crop up where items drop through the world -- which platform do you play on? PC. Xbox, etc? 

I think it is.  But is your run ruined?  Only if you really need the rifle to obtain food.  There are always cattails, bunnies and stones, and the distress pistol from the dam (which will kill a wolf at close range), or just scaring a wolf away from the deer it killed.

Thank you for the kind words of encouragement. :)

I'm playing on PC - in that case I'll go back and look further for it. I do feel daft for not having dropped it somewhere more readily identifiable, but panic was setting in!

Regarding your final point, I'm actually okay for food thanks to snares plus the remains of the bear. So that's great - thanks again.

It won't help much because FM has that big area in the middle with no points of interest, but you might find a clue in your journal Log.  Check the day of your sprint to safety and see if it reminds you of a part of your path you forgot.  Example:

20170915074856_1.thumb.jpg.c65d57e57fc69cd3abe5c39412f9988d.jpg

There's one more option that I have very little experience with, so maybe someone else will explain how it works.

You can die/suicide which should reset you to your last story save point.  If that's before the trip where you dropped the rifle you'd be able to do a replay.  I personally would search for the rifle because those mistakes I narrowly survive (as you described in the OP) are my favorite memories in the game.  (Finding the rifle next to some random, nameless rock might be another :) )  Plus I find it very boring to do replays.  But it's an option if your search fails.

4 hours ago, dnkw said:

Hi folks

Can you help/advise? I've stupidly managed to lose my rifle while trying to find Jeremiah's bunker in Forlon Muskeg.

I managed to survive (just) but now when I go back to where I think I dropped it, it's nowhere to be seen. I've searched pretty extensively and just can't find it. 

Also, is this the only rifle in this part of the game (and am I therefore ruined if I don't find it)?

Thanks for your help!

If you have killed the bear you don't really need it, i have only used it to kill some deers for Jeremiah and the bear, i don't carry it around because of the weight, so it's stored and if i need deer meat i usally find killed deers from wolf attack, but the game should save the rifle where you dropped it, it saves everything else, it's the only rifle in episode 2 that i know of, maybe there is a new one in episode 3 or even better the survival bow, maybe try to backtrack and see if you can find it, but it's not the end of the world if you can't find it again.

Edit.

And it's only usable if you have bullets, so sooner or later it will become useless, at least in episode 2 and i think if we need a rifle in episode 3 the game will provide us with a new one, i hope, because i don't know if i want to carry it with me when i exit episode 2.

Archived