Embers in the Wind

Cattleman

First, I have to give credit to @Drifter Man for my inspiration to write this. I hope you don't feel that I'm trying to steal your glory by imitating some of your writing style. You are much more the master than I. I only wish to convey my story in a simple manner that I feel your style fits very nicely. I feel like the student mimicking the teacher as I write this.

So now a little background, I'm new to the game but loving it. I started off playing Wintermute: Episode One, then decided I wanted more of a challenge. So Survival Mode... I played a few voyager runs and one pilgrim. None of these really had the challenge I craved.

I decided on Stalker and based out of ML with eventual exploration to farther reaches. So, as I'm still learning the mechanics of everything and trying to figure out what works for me I'm starting with 3 stepping stone goals...

1: Survive for 50 days (easy for most I'm sure)

2: Survive for 250 days (much more challenging)

3: Survive 500 days (my ultimate long term goal)

I'm calling my survivors "Embers"... Can they float on the "Winds of Time" long enough to find someplace dry? Someplace where they can fall to smolder, smoke, flicker into a flame, and finally blaze brightly as a beacon of triumph? Only the coming months will tell.

EMBER 1, DAY 1

I find myself above the Logging Camp north of Clear Cut. The sun is already low in the afternoon sky, with a light snow falling. I quickly loot the trailers for anything useful, finding a ski jacket, some thermal underwear, a cotton torq, various food stuffs, and some firewood. After gearing up with my additional clothing I immediately head for Forestry Lookout, as night fall is quickly approaching. I'm hoping to find a prybar there. I arrive just before dusk and do a quick search to discover... No prybar, but I'll be danged if that isn't a rifle on the wall! But alas I only find one cartridge. I read Survive the Outdoors (that I also found at the Lookout) until dark (about 2 hours) then light a small fire with sticks I have gathered on my way here... Just enough to make 1 gallon of water and pull one torch to be used as wolf defense and one match fire assurance. After slating my thirst I retire for the night. Sleep well little Ember.

EMBER 1, DAY 2

When dawn arrived I ate some canned food and water then took a few hours to finish reading Surviving Outdoors. Next I quickly navigated to Camp Office where I found hook and line, a magnifying glass, sewing kit, some cloth, jerry can, whetstone, and some food stuffs. Along the way here I had stopped to stone a rabbit, which I now processed by hand as I have yet to find a hatchet or knife. I then headed around Lake Trail gathering sticks as I went. At Lake Cabins found very little of use except some matches and a pair of socks, a few books for fire starter. From there I skirted the lake back towards Camp Office, gathering cattails while keeping a vigilant eye on the 3 wolves upon the ice. From Camp Office I continued along the tracks with intents of following them to the southern edge of ML... But this plan was thwarted by 2 wolves headed right at me on the tracks, this really concerns me as I am still carrying the raw rabbit, hide and guts. Before they could notice me I dodged off to the west and over a small hill, there was now 1 ridge between me and Max's Last Stand. Coming over this ridge I carefully eyed the area around Max's body... All clear, I rush down the hill. Nothing on the corpse but a hatchet is close by in the snow. As I head over the ridge heading to Trappers Homestead I about have a heart attack when my stomach growls, Damn I thought it was a wolf! While pausing to eat an energy bar I notice crows over the small barn. More meat... Albeit only 2.6 pounds, and a deer hide. Darkness is nearing so into Trappers Cabin. A book of matches lays on a shelf which I don't touch. Several cans of food, 2 sodas, and some jerky round out the food found. 2 bandages, bottle of peroxide, simple tools, rifle cleaning kit, a box of rifle cartridges, a knife, and another jerry can (but still no lantern). I take the time to clean my rifle, as it was at 32%, then load it. As I put it on the gun rack I notice a second rifle! And its in 90% condition!! My stomach is growling again so I light my torch which I use to light a fire outside in the little corner of the back of the cabin and cook the rabbit and deer meat, and make more water. Leaving the deer steak beside the door I go back inside and go to sleep.

The following day (day 3) I set out my hides and guts to cure, repair my clothing (which now includes a thick wool sweater found in the locker at trappers), and lighten my load. I spend the majority of the day gathering sticks for firewood. By days end I'm starving (breakfast was a candy bar), I eat some canned food and off to bed. Tomorrow I will hunt deer.

33 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

which of the other maps have you already explored on a previous run?

Yes I have come to know ML pretty well from my previous runs. I have always started my runs in ML, but have explored into PV a fair amount, but don't know it well at all. Also I have ventured through FM on a bear hunt in a voyager run, but mainly stuck close to the tracks and to the west of them... I have never been east of the tracks more than a few hundred yards (to get a better position to shoot a bear). And one other time I travelled as far as the Maintanence Yard in BR just exploring but had to hobble back to ML after a bad wolf encounter that left me short on medical supplies and a bad infection that nearly killed me.

Thanks for the interest and please feel free to comment or give suggestions, but please no detailed location info as I like the exploration aspect of the game. 

EMBER 1, DAY 4

Sunrise found me readying my rifle for the days hunt. I ate my deer steak and headed out. I headed northwest from Trappers with intents of trying my luck at Un-Named Pond. Coming down the backside of the first ridge I already had spotted a deer feeding in the timber below. What luck, so close to the cabin even! I approached slowly, rifle at the ready. Then crouching I snuck even closer, then I waited quietly and let the deer come to me. I took aim a few times but wasn't happy with my sight picture so I adjusted position slightly and aimed again. As sights and target aligned I touched off a round, a hit! I watched carefully as the deer ran bleeding the whole time as he disappeared toward No-Name Pond I stood up and began to follow quickly. I lost the blood trail when it ran in circles over itself several times. I continued to search for maybe 2 hours with no sign of the deer though I was sure it had died. Dang my luck! Back to the pond again I dropped a deer in its tracks and immediately processed the meat and headed back to Trappers. Twice along the way I had to run from wolves, the second of which I had to light a torch to keep at bay. I dropped all the meat by the door and retired for the night after a can of dog food for dinner. Yuck. I could have ate deer steak but I was determined to find that other deer and cook it and the one I already had all at once, I didn't want to waste a match.

DAY 5

After a small breakfast I once again headed out in search of my missing deer. I spent hours scouring that area of ML clear up to the Logging Camp, each time I heard crows I would scan the sky for them but to no avail... Only long dead carcasses. By late afternoon I had give up and was heading back to Trappers via Clear Cut. A bear! Out in the middle of clear cut!... I could use that hide and meat. I worked my way around to the rocks above the trail to Destroyed Lookout and found a position that I thought may keep the bear away from me when it charged. Once the bear was close enough I fired once, a miss. But I had his attention now. Second shot scored a hit, and here he came with a full head of steam up the hill toward my location. I immediately jumped off the other side of the rocks on to the trail and headed uphill toward Destroyed Lookout. Pauseing for a moment I turned to look behind me... No bear. I crouched and passed the time for one hour and went to look for my trophy with no luck. Foiled again. It was getting to dark to make it back to Trappers so I went to Forestry lookout for the night, candy bars and the like for dinner.

DAY 6

Come morning I headed right back down to Clear Cut, narrowly dodging a wolf along the way, and took up the search again only to have to retreat, from a very persistent wolf, to the small cabin to the south of Clear Cut. It was a cold day so I took the opportunity to warm my self with a 2 hour nap. Once again back to Clear Cut... As it came into view so did my bear! Not 100 yards from where I shot him, but tucked up under a tree in such a way that to see him from any other angle would have been nearly impossible. Well lets get a fire going and set to work... NOT. He was on a long slope so no fire; half the meat today then, and the rest tomorrow. I managed to hack off about half the meat, but it came with about a 20 percent risk of hypothermia. Its now late in the day as I head for Trappers, overburdened, tired, hungry, and thirsty. My only food remaining with me is a single can of soda, down it goes. As the cabin came into sight so did my missing deer from 2 days earlier... I had probably walked within 50 feet of it at least twice in the past 2 days. Too tired to skin it now, if its still there in the morning I will get it then. After a few hours of cooking and making water (with the help of some coffee), I made a cup of herbal tea and slept for 8 hours with a full stomach and dreaming of all that meat frozen in the snow outside my door.

DAY 7

The sun was up a couple hours before me the next morning. I quickly ate a bear steak (danged parasites) and 2 deer steaks. I left my rifle to free up some carrying capacity and headed over to my lost deer to skin it quickly, before returning for my bear hide, but had to run away from a wolf hot on my heels. I escaped that wolf but in doing so ran head long into a second and didn't have time to light my torch that was already in hand. A struggle ensued which I survived but not with out taking severe damage... No returning for the bear hide today. I never even made it out of eyesight of the cabin! After some medical attention and a nap I decided to gather some sticks and while doing so found the wolf that I had fought with earlier... Dead near the rocks above and to the east of Trappers. I harvested the hide and guts which promptly went to the cabin floor. Then some more deer steak, tea, and bed. Rest up and heal little Ember.

EMBER 1, DAY 8

Day 8 went pretty uneventful as I retreived the hide from my bear and 4 guts, the meat was already spoiled to the point I didn't waste my time.

DAY 9

Today I headed out to the make for some ice fishing. This is easier said than done because of the resident wolf pack that calls the lake home but I was able to make it to the hut with a door with incident. The catch for 3 hours brought 4 fish, and after some reading of Frozen Angler I leveled my fishing to level 2. That night was spent at the Camp Office. And my fish were already gone. More tomorrow I suppose.

DAY 10

More fishing today but had a horrible catch... 3 fish in 6 hours. Its a good thing I have been able to scavenge a few cattails in my commutes to and from the fishing hut. But to make thing worse my cloths are showing need of repair but I'm all but out of cloth. Tomorrow I will go to the Dam for supplies. Tonight I will be warm at the Camp Office.

DAY 11

So soon as the morning air warmed to the point I could travel some distance I left the camp office with little gear as possible... And a pocket of my remaining cattails to munch on. I proceeded up the hill just north and east of Camp Office then skirted the western side in a northly direction... My thought being that this route will put me in less contact with wolves. Somewhere east of the Loading Area I stumbled upon a Preppers Cache! It contained mostly food with which I filled my tummy! I also found a stim pack and lantern... I left the lantern for weight reasons. Dropping out of the hills I approached the Train Bridge... A wolf barks close and I light my torch. Turning to face him he is close... I debate weather to retreat or attempt to scare him by throwing the torch... I've had enough of this "flight" crap, its time to "fight"! I very boldly take 2 steps forward as I throw my torch that almost hits the wolfs feet. And it worked! He flees in terror. I quickly retrieve my torch and trot across the bridge to be barked up by yet another wolf but I have already put my torch away (what was I thinking?!) So I ran for my life toward the gate to the Dam, quickly open it and as soon as I'm inside the fence its as if I've gone invisible to the wolf and he goes back to walking around. I take advantage of this and sitting in the open gate I pull out my rifle and drop him in his tracks, yet another hide closer to a wolf skin coat. I also take the meat, then I harvest a ravenged deer carcass that is inside the compound fence. I cook all this meat at the door to the Dam, leaving most of it outside and eating a steak before going inside. I a search the entry way and stash my gear in one of the lockers before going deeper in the Dam. Just beyond the entry way and in the connecting rooms I find a fully fueled lantern, some food stuffs, a few clothing items, prybar, and best of all a firestriker at 93%! I'm starting to feel the day catch up to me so I return to the entry way to stow my treasures and rest up for tomorrows very in-depth search of the dam.

DAY 14

Days 12 and 13 were spent searching every inch of the dam. No major exciting finds after the prybar and firestriker of day 11. But I did find a lot of cloth which is what I came here for. Also got some medical supplies, 2 packs of matches, some food, and I think 2 rifle cartridges... Also 2 broken arrows that were harvested for the arrowheads. Today I'm headed into the cave system the leads to PV to search it for whatever it may hold secret in its dark bowels. Leaving the Lower Dam I head down to the shore and immediately spot the 2 wolves... But they don't see me yet, I crouch bringing out my rifle I wait as the slowly approach closer. Soon they turn broadside and I drop the closest. Another round in the chamber I pull down on the second but he is to far away and moving fast, so I stay my trigger finger and follow cautiously. It takes a little while but eventually he reappears and I dispatch him before he notices me. Rifle skill levels to level 2! I quickly peel the hides off and head toward the caves, but the time on the ice coupled with a building storm has taken its toll and I am forced to seek shelter in the small cave to the west of the river for the rest of the day and night.

DAY 17

The caves only yielded a bedroll that a quiet man I met there was no longer in need of, plus a deer hide and meat. Also got more meat and 2 more deer hides from carcasses on my return trip to the dam. Day 16 was spent in the Dam sorting my loot, repairing clothing, and deciding what to take and what to leave. So this morning I'm heading out of the dam over loaded with gear and other loot with the Camp Office in mind as a destination. Half way across the bridge I'm barked up by a wolf from behind... My torch is already in hand, but I jog a little ways as best I can under such a load. Sneeking a peek over my shoulder I see him following but at quite a distance. So I just keep moving retracing the path that brought me here some days ago. Climbing into the hills the wolf catches up and I'm forced to light my torch and turn to face him as I continue up the hill backwards. Once higher up where I can skirt along the side hill I quickly put distance between us and extinguish the torch. But he is still back there following. I can almost see the Camp Office, I turn around to check on my tail... Yep still following. Then I hear a bark! I light the torch but its too late. I had walked backwards into another wolf, and he was on me! We struggled and he ran away yipping, I'm bleeding. I can't even get to my bandages before a second is on me, we struggle. He runs away yipping, I'm bleeding even worse. Yet again another is on me before I can do anything. Where the he'll are all these Damn wolves coming from!!! Damn it is my smell! To many partially cured hides and guts! Damn my foolishness! We struggle, he runs away yipping, I'm about to pass out from blood loss. How am I even alive at all!!! I'm able to get to my stim pack but fail to use it before yet another wolf is upon me. The struggle is over before it ever began.... Ember 1 is reduced to Ash stuck between a wolf's teeth. An old saying comes to mind " You may kill me, but I'll take 3 or 4 of y'all with me before I die."

4 hours ago, Cattleman said:

Where the he'll are all these Damn wolves coming from!!! Damn it is my smell! To many partially cured hides and guts! Damn my foolishness!
Ember 1 is reduced to Ash stuck between a wolf's teeth. An old saying comes to mind " You may kill me, but I'll take 3 or 4 of y'all with me before I die."

And a valuable lesson or three was learned.. :D

Bummer mate.. but the next Ember will do better, I'm sure.

EMBER 2

Ember 2 had an almost identical start to Ember 1... Getting good gear and clothing on day 1 he quickly set up shop at Trappers. Day 2 he went to hunt a bear very close to Trappers, that ended badly. In an attempt to tempt the bear to with in shooting distance of the cabin he got pinned down between a wolf and the bear. The wolf attacked and was defeated, but in doing so the bear had gotten to close and Ember 2 was mauled while running for the cabin door. After the mauling he was mauled again before he could get away. Ember 2 was stamped out beneath the paws of a bear with in a few feet of safety.

7 hours ago, JAFO said:

And a valuable lesson or three was learned.. :D

Bummer mate.. but the next Ember will do better, I'm sure.

Yes indeed some good lessons were learned... In the future I will not carry multiple smelly things long distances if I'm so over loaded or unnecessarily. Yes Ember 1 had a really good start that held much potential. But in the end it didn't matter, no matter what one has Mother Nature always has you beat.

2 hours ago, Cattleman said:

In an attempt to tempt the bear to with in shooting distance of the cabin he got pinned down between a wolf and the bear. The wolf attacked and was defeated, but in doing so the bear had gotten to close and Ember 2 was mauled while running for the cabin door. After the mauling he was mauled again before he could get away. Ember 2 was stamped out beneath the paws of a bear with in a few feet of safety.

Ouch. Another painful lesson.

At least on Stalker, some lessons aren't necessarily fatal.. hang in there!

EMBER 3, DAY 1

This Ember started out with a pre dawn run for his life. It was cold and dark I had no idea where I was... I simply started to run in one direction. A bark on the right, crap! dodge left. A few minutes later another bark on the right and again I dodge right... Right into the busted up cabin in Deadfall Area. At last something I recognize! I crouch inside just long enough to catch my breath and I'm off again. Now I that I know where I'm at I can discern enough of the landscape to tell where I'm going, Trappers is just over this hill. Within a few minutes I'm inside and getting warmer as I climb into bed and sleep for 2 hours. When I awake its light and I take a moment to assess my clothing... Yep, just as I thought from how fast I got cold, its crap. I find a worn pair of fleece mittens and some food but besides that nothing of immediate use... No knife, rifle, hatchet, or anything else I can use right now besides a snare. I also find a box of rifle cartridges that I stuff in my pocket. Now I run to Camp Office passing by the tunnel to FM, where I find some meds and a prybar. By time I reach Camp Office I'm near hypothermic and its mid day. I loot the place finding some food, a sports vest, pair of socks, tennis shoes, work boots, line and hook, fair bit of cloth, whetstone, magnifying glass, some antiseptic, bandages, and a sewing kit. I dawn the work boots and the best of everything else. What I can't wear gets sewed into what I am wearing to repair it. Then a small dinner and off to bed.

DAY 2

The morning is spent breaking down chairs and crates which I load up for a fishing trip. After tying my hook on to the line I set out towards the huts on the ice. No wolves in sight and I make it no problem, gathering a few cattails as I pass them. I stoke up a fire, make water, break open the fishing hole, and fish for 4 hours catching 5 or 6 good fish. I munch a cattail as I quickly search the place and find a hatchet. Then its back to the Camp Office where I build a fire just big enough to cook my fish. Fish sandwiches for dinner and I hit the hay.

DAY 3

Day 3 was spent hitting the small cabins on the lake for some cloth, ski jacket, hoodie and some food. As always I gathered sticks as I came across them. The following day was spent entirely on the ice fishing with very bad luck... Only 2 fish in 6 hours. Had to run from a wolf on the way back to Camp Office but he wasn't all that interested in me and I quickly lost him.

DAY 5

Today I have 2 places I want to check out... First Destroyed Lookout, Second Forestry Lookout. As I leave the Camp Office I snatch a few stones from the ground for rabbits. The wind is picking up so I waste no time. Across the tracks I stone a rabbit and pick it up. Starting on again I see a wolf ahead. Damn, I guess I'll hit the Destroyed one tomorrow. Doubling back I head up to Forestry... Half way to the top the wind lets up. I look at the radio antenna on the neighboring peak. "What the hell" I say to myself. I drop the rabbit, hop the fence, and shinny down the steep slope. So far so good, I run some yards to the base of the cliff and begin to side hill around the peak so as to stay well above Clear Cut... I don't want anything to do with the 2 wolves that sometimes roam there. Coming to the rocks that create the trail to the antenna I carefully climb down to the trail. No wolves and no injuries thus far doing great! Once at the top I gather some wood as I search the containers, nothing good. Well hello Mister Icicle, do you have anything to give me? Holy crap you do! A rifle! It immediately gets loaded with the shells I had been carrying since Trappers. Then I build a fire and pull the meat off the dead deer, I want the hide too. While I wait for it to thaw so I can peel the hide with my hands I cook the meat. Once that's done I am able to get the hide off and I'm ready to go. I munch a piece of deer meat as I survey the eastern side of the peak. I think I can get down that and save a lot of time... Its getting cold and dark fast. Slowly, slowly I inch over the rocks to the slope below... Sucess! Now back over to Fores.... Damn a wolf! Where's my tor... Too late... "Just get off me you SOB!!!" After a few swings of my hatchet he's gone, and I'm bleeding a little. Some medical work and I'm back on my way. I grab the rabbit, I dropped earlier, as I come to it and when I get to the top I'm at 70 some odd percent risk of hypothermia and I can barely make out the stairs. Once inside I eat some more deer, quench my thirst and off to bed. Rest up good Ember in the morning I will hunt as I travel to Trappers.

EMBER 3, DAY 6

After grabbing a quick breakfast I head downhill from Forstry Lookout just far enough I can hop the fence and slide down to Frozen Creek on my butt. I hear a bark and run toward No Name Pond, quickly losing the wolf. At the pond I see a deer and circle around him to try and herd him back up the creek toward the wolf that had barked me up. I decide to try using stones to make this easier... And it works great! Not only does it drive the deer toward the wolf but it also brings the wolf closer to the deer so it works very, very well. Soon the wolf is dinning on a fresh kill and I creep closer in a crouch. When as close as I dare get I take aim with my rifle and drop the wolf. I build a fire beside the kills and quarter the deer and skin the wolf. I load up everything and decide that Trappers is to far so I head toward Camp Office with a torch in hand. I soon hear a wolf ahead and light the torch. As he approaches I throw the torch at him but he was still too far away and he attacks. I quickly send him on his way and a second approaches. This time I threw the torch to late and I have to fight him. This one makes me bleed a little but I take care of the medical needs and head out again. The second wolf ran exactly the way I am traveling and I quickly find him and he dies only a few yards in front of me, so I peel his hide and hurry to the office. I drop the hides and guts on the floor and proceed to butcher the quartered deer. This task finished I leave the meat outside the door and start looking for more firewood. While doing so I take another deer/wolf combo within 100 yards of the office. As I'm getting hungry I run to the office for a deer steak and back to the fresh kill to start a fire. I cook the steak I brought with me, eat, and quarter the deer and peel the wolf hide. By days end I'm exhausted. The next day is spent gathering wood and cooking meat and water.

DAY 8

Today feels like a good day, I'm well fed and stocked with water. I decide to return to Trappers for a couple days as wood is getting scarce around Camp Office. I grab a couple steaks from outside the door as I leave and head south skirting the railroad. Its clear but the wind is crisp. Maybe I should give my clothing some attention at Trappers, the wolf attacks have taken their toll. Between the railroad and Max's Last Stand I bump a deer who runs into a wolf at Max's. I drop the wolf but a second is nearby, I'm getting cold so I decide to scare him with fire. I soon hear him bark and I light a fire, he runs away and I quickly attempt to move the fire closer to the dead deer and wolf. But I wasn't fast enough and have to fight him off, after which I immediately light the fire and peel the hide off the wolf. I stoke the fire some and begin to quarter the deer. Having failed to treat his wounds from the most recent wolf encounter, Ember 3 burns out at an alarming rate with everything he needed to save his own life in his pack. If Mother Nature doesn't get get you, your own ignorance will.

21 minutes ago, Cattleman said:

I stoke the fire some and begin to quarter the deer. Having failed to treat his wounds from the most recent wolf encounter, Ember 3 burns out at an alarming rate with everything he needed to save his own life in his pack. If Mother Nature doesn't get get you, your own ignorance will.

It's very important that before you do ANYTHING after a wolf fight you should heal yourself. Second thing is that you should try to avoid wolf battles. It's pretty easy if you know the tactics. 

Edit. You can cancel your actions by pressing ESC on PC. It could have saved you.

So time for an update, Ember 4 lived a short, cold, terrified life; but Ember 5 is doing very well.

EMBER 5

Ember 5 sits beside a warm stove cooking deer meat as he thinks back on his Journey thus far.

From that first night in Forestry Lookout, to now in the Camp Office... So much has changed. It took nearly 10 days to find a hat and finally not have to worry about a frostbite head. I've had at least one case of hypothermia. A rifle was found sometime around day 7. I've managed to kill 2 Bears, one on the lake and the other at No Name Pond. Neither of which mauled me, the first dropped in his tracks the other ran off and was tracked for 2 days. I'm working on a wolf skin coat. I have Saplings curing for a bow and arrows. My wood supply is ok... Could be better tho. I've set up base at Camp Office and use Trappers as an outpost often. I have looted the Dam and plan to return there soon for some stuff from my stash. I briefly explored The Ravine while in that neck of the woods. Ive had many close calls with wolves, I had a long battle with intestinal parasites. During which time I didn't see any deer, and spent a lot of time on the lake fishing. I'm planning a trip into FM to attempt to find this forge that I have heard tell of but have yet to see with my own eyes. I need arrow heads and want to make an improvised knife to have in reserve. I will have to check my marks on the wall of Camp Office to be sure but I believe it is day 30 now, hard to tell they all seem to flow together. Keep it up Ember, but remain cautious and humble in the presence of Mother Nature.

15 hours ago, snakevondoof said:

great series and story telling, keep it up!

Thank you for the compliment. I will try... It may be sparse at times as real life is demanding and when I do have some time its hard to pull myself away from TLD long enough to compose my stories but I will do my best. You readers make it all worth while, and so much more enjoyable. Thank you again.

EMBER 5, DAY 60 SOMETHING

"Boy its good to be back home" Ember 5 says with a heavy sigh of relief, as the Camp Office materializes out of the fog. Once inside he drops his pack beside the bed he has chose to be "his" and goes right to sleep. Now that he is safe and warm he can finally let his mind digest what he has been through over the last couple weeks. Thus he relives some of it in his dreams...

He finds himself in a flat, frozen wasteland, Forlorn Muskeg. The air is clear as he gathers some catails in passing. He looks up to see that it is no long clear but a heavy fog has suddenly descended upon him. "Damn, got to get to some solid ground quick" once on the shore he tries to continue following it, but it seems no matter where he goes he is barked up by wolves. Finding a spot out of the wind he stops to warm himself and think what to do. Suddenly a bark and his face is slammed into the snow, instantly grabbing his hatchet he quickly fights the wolf off. "So much for thinking this wolf skin coat would scare the wolves." Another appears from the fog like a growling phantom with teeth. Ember tries to light a fire but the wind has shifted and its no use. There is no place to run the fog is too thick. Hatchet in hand he readies himself for what is ahead. This time it does not end quickly and when its over Ember is bleeding badly. "Bandages where are the bandages? I know I packed bandages! Damn I'm going to die over stupid banda... SOCKS!!!" Throwing his boots aside Ember quickly tears his socks into bandages and applies them to his wounds with some OMB dressings. Building a fire, with the wood he has brought with him to feed the forge, the stokes it to last 5 hours and sleeps the afternoon away in his bedroll. Awaking to find the fog still thick and night approaching he decides to set out again rather than freeze in the night. With in a few yards the wolves are following again. Still not feeling so well he tries to run but can only go a few steps before having to slow down. Next thing he knows a wolf is on him in the panic he mistakenly grabs his knife instead of the hatchet. He is able to fight the wolf off... Barely. More wolves are barking him up. Dropping the last 2 pieces of fir wood, he runs for his life bleeding badly. Looming ahead he can see burned out buildings. They seem to close, yet so far. The wolves are getting closer. Quickly Ember grabs a stim pack and jabs it into his thigh, then runs, and runs... 

Sitting up in bed so quickly, Ember nearly hits his head on the top bunk. His heart is racing, the moon is high in the night sky outside Camp Office. "Only a dream." Subconsciously he rubs his thigh. "Good thing I found all those pallets, they kept my fire burning through the night and fed the forge all the next day and night." Laying back down he hopes for a more restful sleep.

EMBER 5, DAY 60 SOMETHING

(continued from above)

Ember is preparing to cook a fresh deer kill and his firestrikers finally wears out. "Well I knew it would happen someday. I've got 3 matches left, guess I've put off a trip to Pleasant Valley long enough." After a long cooking session he eats dinner and retires early. Well before dawn he is up and headed north for the Dam. A few hours and a couple close encounters with wolves finds him rumaging through his stash for a lantern. Finding it he quickly passes through to Winding River, where he finds both the resident wolves on patrol. He tries to distract them with stones long enough to sneek by but with 2 days rations on him its near impossible. So he does what he can and hits the ice running but as he feared they are onto his game. The first has a change of heart after a hastily fired rifle round to the hind quarters, but the second wants revenge for his friend and rushes in for the attack. Its is over very quickly and Ember proceeds to the caves. Exhaustion is starting to set in by time he reaches the other side, and he decides to sleep in the warmth of the caves before continuing on. After some good sleep he gathers his pack and bedroll and exits the cave. Upon exiting the cave he is taken by surprise... The moon is still up! "Guess I didn't sleep all night" he grumbles in the very cold, very early morning air. Ember quickly makes his way down a ravine to a road. The aurora lights the night in a spectacular aray of blues and greens. Which way to go left or right? "Best find a high spot and try to get my bearings about me... Don't like traipsing around in unknown parts in the dark" so Ember goes to the left, and uphill. Several minutes later he is rushed by a wolf that catches him by surprise. The wolf does quite a bit of damage, but Ember quickly bandages himself. "Won't be forgetting these anytime soon. Can't afford to be tearing up socks, they be too damn hard to find!" Just as a radio tower and shack come into view ahead in the still darkness Ember hears the death rattle of the wolf dying somewhere close. A thin smile creases his cheeks. The shack, as he calls what apparently is known locally as Signal Hill... Or so he gathers from the old paperwork laying about, produces immediately with a box of matches, and not 1... But 2 boxes of ammo! Some other food stuffs and clothing are also found. Leaving any and all extra weight in a locker he steps back out side just as the horizon becomes light. Walking to the cliff Ember surveys the landscape, a Farm House and some other buildings are visible in the valley below, a rope anchor point in nearby... But no rope. "Never cared for climbing anyhow," he muses, "I'll take the long way." A little way down the hill a wolf gives chase and Ember takes off at a run. A second climbing point nears and this time it does have a rope. "On second thought maybe I'll give this climbing another chance." He quickly takes hold of the rope and jumps without even slowing down, leaving the wolf to howl out his anger. At the bottom he turns to a long lane and the Farm House. In the orchard is a deer... And 3 wolves. He circles the deer then herds it toward the wolves that soon take it down. Rifle ready he creeps close and puts the wolf down, then quickly moves in and builds a fire as protection while he quarters the deer and peels the wolf hide. Then loads up both hides and half the meat and heads to the Farm House. The other wolves soon pick up his scent and move in, but Ember has a good head start and makes it to the house easily. He processes and cooks the deer and stores it in a snowbank outside, then searches the house. Nothing great, but there is a book of matches and a sewing kit as well as another box of rifle shells. He sleeps well that night, the following day searches the house again to ensure nothing was missed. Then he returns for the last of the deer. Leaving the quarters at the Farm House he crosses a field to a Barn. Before reaching the Barn a pack of wolves surround him. Once again he has to fight for his life with more than one of the fanged devils and barely makes it to the Barn, where he finishes tending his wounds. After a quick search he settles in for a nights rest in the cab of an old pickup truck inside the barn. He awakes late in the morning feeling better but still not 100%. One last quick look around the barn and he heads back to the Farm House. Half way to his destination a blizzard sets in. "Mighty good thing I wore this new bear hide coat, man could freeze on his feet without good warm clothing." He makes the Farm House without difficulties, processes and cooks the last of the deer and goes to bed with a full stomach.

The urge to relieve his bladder wakes Ember. Yawning and scratching he makes his way out the back door of Camp Office. "Damn dreams anyhow, hard enough to get a good night's sleep without them bothering a man." With nature's call answered Ember returns to bed.

Archived