Guns! Guns! Guns!

TROY

@Mroz4k Reference is myself.  Shoot them in the foot.  There is 0% chance of getting an instakill when shot in the foot.  But you gotta hit the foot and not just graze it, which can be hard to tell once an animal is running and bleeding.  You can do this ten times before a bear dies and never more than ten (except the Old Bear, he only dies when the script tells him too).  At least you could back in July.  I haven't tested much since release (Too much disappointment to stomach). And other animals may be different; I just like shooting bears.

You are definately right.  Shooting more than once is unnecessary and indeed wasteful. A bear shot just once even in the foot still bleeds out with no additional action from you.  All hit point damage really is tiny and not worth trying to use to kill anything.

I skimmed it through, I will have to go through it all later, but its definitedly got my interest. How many animals did you kill by putting 10 hits into them? If it was several, I will find it believable - if only one or two, its possible you came across a random occurance. I find it hard to believe because I tried these things before myself, and came to a realization that is is very difficult to get accurate hits on specific body parts to do precise testing - then again, back then I was a lot less experienced at hunting the wildlife in game - might try to do some of my own tests on this eventually.

On 20/09/2017 at 3:13 PM, JAFO said:

But is that because you're still aiming at probable insta-kill points, and level 5 just ensures that you'll probably hit them, or because level 5 deals massive damage? What happens if you shoot him in the foot at level 5?

No, that's not what I meant. The increased damage, etc. doesn't really make a difference. But on level 5 you can shoot the bow when crouching, which means that you can shoot a wolf or deer in the face from like 20 feet away... which is what I meant by saying " pretty much guaranteed insta-kills".

6 hours ago, Hesha said:

No, that's not what I meant. The increased damage, etc. doesn't really make a difference. But on level 5 you can shoot the bow when crouching, which means that you can shoot a wolf or dear in the face from like 20 feet away... which is what I meant by saying " pretty much guaranteed insta-kills".

Ok.. now I follow what you were getting at.. sorry for the misunderstanding.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2017 at 11:18 PM, shade_grey said:

I'll post it here if I do find another one.

I'm pretty sure that I've searched all possible book spawns and the most that I've found with my current game is two. Two's not bad though, along with a few copies of "Frontier Shooting Guide," I've got my rifle skill to 3 and about halfway to 4 without firing a single bullet.

Archived