Buildable Cabins

Wade

Most everything is already in place in order to do this.  

Scrap metal can be forged into nails, and there are plenty of planks and scrap wood around.   There are stones to be collected for foundations.  It could be something similar to TM climbers hut.  If you have hammer or blunt end of an axe, then you can pound nails you have forged.  Forge hinges for the shutters and doors from scrap metal.  Take all those crates, planks, and limbs and put them to good use.  Allow the interior to craft shelves, wood chairs, wood storage chests and bed from scrap wood and cloth or put all those extra furs to use for bedding.  Sleep like a king in your new Wolfskin comforter made from wolf skins, sewing materials and cloth. Make some barrels usable for crafting a stove and stove pipe.

Create some areas say 4-5 per map that can be places you can build.  You could make it so you could only build at one of the sites per map.  Some convenient, some hermit like, and some just for the best view around.

Really the idea of this is to create more crafting opportunities while giving the player something to work towards.  Is it enough just to get by the rest of your days going from cattail patch to cattail patch.  Wouldn't you like the feeling of having created something before you die?  Something like a home? 

You wouldn't have to vastly increase loot in the world.  Rather it would be a trade off on how to use your resources.  Would you rather try and survive 500 days using metal and scrap wood for forging tools or spend 100 days but build a trappers cabin?  Make is a choice!  Its not like there isn't enough metal or scrap wood and respawning rocks laying around.

No way. It's too much development work to add this when it's not even needed. This isn't the Forest. And it makes no sense. No ordinary person in a situation like this would go and build their own cabin... and why would you anyways? There are plenty of shelters around.

11 minutes ago, Fuarian said:

No way. It's too much development work to add this when it's not even needed. This isn't the Forest. And it makes no sense. No ordinary person in a situation like this would go and build their own cabin... and why would you anyways? There are plenty of shelters around.

No its not too much development work, at least no more than any other suggestion. Nobody wanted "the Forest" kind of building which is retarded at best... But I agree its almost impossible, taking a realistic look at it.

I could see it as being "already almost built locations" that I could possibly survive being "finished off" by a player. It takes roughly 80 to 180 days of constant work to build a log cabin from nothing, doing that in "mild conditions" - I know a thing or two about it, I want to build one for myself in real life, eventually. Oh, and the days also account for you, using equipment like chainsaws...

As much as I would love to be able to do this... I admit I believe this to be impossible feat in the TLD conditions. 

Also, just saying, people in paleolite did not forge nails and they were perfectly capable of building log cabins, even wooden forts, without using nails. Instead of using nails, you could easily use wooden spikes hammered in. Sounds perhaps a bit crude, but the fact that several generations lived in a single hut like this shows they are pretty durable even if built that way. So there is no need for metal nails.

The barest of minimal requirements would be some quality double handed axe - something really used to chop down lumber. Because lumber is what you would need to build a cabin.

And stones gatherable in the game are tiny, definitedly not big enough to serve as a good foundation. Not that you would need a foundation in the first place. I think you should probably look a thing or two about log cabins :)

Dont get me wrong... I WOULD LOVE to be able to build a log cabin for myself in the game... but I dont see it as realistic.

Archived