bone marrow

Reahs

First, I don't know if this has been suggested before but it would be nice if we could harvest bones from animals and crack them open to eat the bone marrow inside for a little extra food.

Now a rabbit should give either zero bone or really little and deer some bones and wolfs far less than a deer and a bear a lot more and bigger bones than a deer.

the weight could be like when you get a fish so you won't find a "large bone" or a "small bone" you will find a femur or shin that weigh differently 

Probably getting into micro management for food harvesting?

However I think when we quarter a deer we see a bunch of blood and bones on the floor? maybe an option to take the bones as well?  make a good stock for soup or feed the dogs/wolves?

ha next they will be wanting to take all the blood as well to make black puddings!

39 minutes ago, CitrinePeridot said:

That "little extra food" actually packs quite a nourishment punch to it. It's very rich. Why not have the harvesting of the bones include scraping out of the marrow. That way, the weight isn't significant. It's a ready, good source of nourishment though. I'd  be for that.

Yeah I think that would fit in well with the survival theme, ask the natives up there near the arctic and they'll probably tell you they do the same.

It would make sense, absolutely. But the problem is that the food supply is kept artificially scarce for gameplay reasons. You need to eat more than you should and food is less nutritious than it should be. Finding a freshly killed, grown stag (either by killing it yourself or using a wolf), in real life would feed you for a very substantial amount of time. I'm no hunter, but a full deer / stag, if properly butchered and harvested, would sustain you for at least a month.

So if all the bone marrow would add to the game, in reality, boils down to a few extra calories, why don't we simply increase the meat yield?

Real life wise - it makes sense.
Game-balance wise - it presents a problem. This gives the player another "food" resource to use out of a carcass, technically increasing the value of such carcass when it comes to calories.

Honestly, I think it would be better if the bones could be used to make a soup, but were not "edible" on their own. But rather used in unison with the meat to make a different kind of dish. This, I think, wouldnt really increase the "caloric" value of a carcass, but instead could simply provide "different" options to utilize the meat. Obvious advantage of a soup would be that it can be eaten hot, thus increasing temperature and giving the Warm core buff, and to compensate for it, the soup would go "bad" very quickly.

I would rather get a bone knife recipe, so a knife can be made out of bones for processing animals... slower, but quicker then hand, lighter, less durable, but usable in a struggle with a wolf.

I do like the bone knife idea as well. Soup bone has been mentioned by another in a thread I was in. I had suggested a soup bone be left in the frig of abandoned houses to be found to make Hobo stew. They pointed out about using bones from kills. 

Now, as for the marrow, I still stand by that one. It's light on weight, but has a good, quality resource value to it. I understand about the game needing to present a challenge, but I also believe that should be balanced by being in keeping with the whole survival idea. Basic survival would include the  use of every part available of a kill, would it not? If one would use it in a R/L survival situation, then it should be made available here. Otherwise, you have an unbalance there between what you claim your game to be and how that "fleshes out" within what's made available within the gameplay. I think the bone marrow was a true, to the core excellent suggestion very much in keeping with what this game is supposed to be about. 

2 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Real life wise - it makes sense.
Game-balance wise - it presents a problem. This gives the player another "food" resource to use out of a carcass, technically increasing the value of such carcass when it comes to calories.

Honestly, I think it would be better if the bones could be used to make a soup, but were not "edible" on their own. But rather used in unison with the meat to make a different kind of dish. This, I think, wouldnt really increase the "caloric" value of a carcass, but instead could simply provide "different" options to utilize the meat. Obvious advantage of a soup would be that it can be eaten hot, thus increasing temperature and giving the Warm core buff, and to compensate for it, the soup would go "bad" very quickly.

I would rather get a bone knife recipe, so a knife can be made out of bones for processing animals... slower, but quicker then hand, lighter, less durable, but usable in a struggle with a wolf.

I think that it's a good idea " I think it would be better if the bones could be used to make a soup, " " but were not "edible" on their own. But rather used in unison with the meat to make a different kind of dish" to first balance it out a little and 2nd you could make this soup the natural equivalent to the MRE but heavier,

So this soup "MRE" could be made out of meat,bonemarrow,water,berries and the reshi mushrooms (maybe some fish just to make it a little harder to make and maybe even chopped up cattail stalks) to make a really good food that's first of all is really good when it comes to calories but it could also have some minor buff to stamina/wellbeeing and it would work like painkillers and antibiotics but it schuld also like you said go bad very quickly so  it would become a make and eat item.

13 hours ago, Hesha said:

It would make sense, absolutely. But the problem is that the food supply is kept artificially scarce for gameplay reasons. You need to eat more than you should and food is less nutritious than it should be. Finding a freshly killed, grown stag (either by killing it yourself or using a wolf), in real life would feed you for a very substantial amount of time. I'm no hunter, but a full deer / stag, if properly butchered and harvested, would sustain you for at least a month.

So if all the bone marrow would add to the game, in reality, boils down to a few extra calories, why don't we simply increase the meat yield?

Which is true, but in my headcanon for the game I envision Will just needing to eat almost constantly due to a combination of the constant cold forcing additional expenditure of calories to keep warm in addition to the constant manual labor will in engaging in just for survival. So while to you and me a fully processed deer can last quite a while I bet you neither of us is fighting record breaking cold, nor are we breaking our backs constantly with manual labor in said record breaking cold.

Extracting marrow from bones seems a lil too specific and meta for this game. But id definitely not mind seeig it implimented. 

Crafting Fishooks from rabbit bone or a lightweight/low durability shiv from larger carcasses seems like a possible implementation the devs would do. 

Leg bones could make a club or alternative torch too. 

On 13/09/2017 at 9:19 AM, deathbydanish said:

Which is true, but in my headcanon for the game I envision Will just needing to eat almost constantly due to a combination of the constant cold forcing additional expenditure of calories to keep warm in addition to the constant manual labor will in engaging in just for survival. So while to you and me a fully processed deer can last quite a while I bet you neither of us is fighting record breaking cold, nor are we breaking our backs constantly with manual labor in said record breaking cold.

You mention something fairly important there. There is a big difference between Story mode and Survival mode. Mackenzie is under pressure. He needs to get from A to B as quickly as reasonably possible, because he knows that with every passing day Astrid might slip further away. If we assume that all development choices in TLD were made with Story mode in mind, it makes perfect sense that Will would just take the easiest, richest cuts from the deer and moves on.

In Survival mode on the other hand, more often than not, we are stationary. So we should be able to fully harvest / use a deer. But that would either require heavy rebalancing or would completely change how the game plays, if one deer will feed you for such a long time.

Archived