This still seems unrealistic.

Kaiservadin

This is one of the things that bugged me in terms of realism in the game but i overlooked it as it saves time boiling water.

I am talking about why when you collect water from toilets that its automaticly clean ?, if a person was using that toilet you would not want to drink the water from it !

34 minutes ago, Kaiservadin said:

Hmmm, maybe they should move the trigger to the tank then ?

Most people would be looking at the toilet bown, not the tank. Besides, doesnt the whole toilet counts? I would think so, I believe if you hover over the tank, it is still usable as a toilet, as a water reservoir.

Water from tanks is usually clean, but honestly, I would boil it just to be sure. Some houses have a water recycling system, and a water from a shower gets used for a toilet flushing... so I would be skeptical. But yea, I dont think anyone is going to be drinking water from a bowl, besides, if the house and toilet was unused for a while, there will be no water in a bowl... but there will be some in the tank. 

...the toilets at the dam don't have tanks, and you still get clean water from them. If nothing else, we should boil THAT water.

An amusing aside: I introduced my roommate to the game and watch him play sometimes so I can help him along a little (man, the disappointment when I discovered he'd never get a Fluffy scare...). After discovering he could get water from toilets, he kept trying desperately to get into the outhouses for the toilet water there. ...I then had to explain to him how outhouses work. So moral of the story: let's count ourselves lucky that the character in the game is better at surviving than a real life adult man, who apparently would have died immediately in this situation.

10 hours ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

I believe the water taken from toilets should be changed from potable to non-potable, so you have to boil it clean first. Makes more sense to me.

Toilets have a reservoir of "safe" water usually above the bowl. Next time you use the restroom, lift the big usually rectangular lid above the bowl and look in, thats where theyre taking the water from.

However, older toilets might not be too safe to drink from due to the inevitable buildup of gunk in there.

12 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Toilets have a reservoir of "safe" water usually above the bowl. Next time you use the restroom, lift the big usually rectangular lid above the bowl and look in, thats where theyre taking the water from.

However, older toilets might not be too safe to drink from due to the inevitable buildup of gunk in there.

I am pretty sure we all knew that. But that was not the point - the point was even those reservoars would not have "potable" water, it would be non-potable. Because no matter what you do, a still water will eventually develop bacteria in it unless its hermetically sealed (no bacteria can get in there, like a water bottle, for example) - meaning the water you would drink, fresh out of the reservoir could still give you dysentery. Hence @Stormwolf1O1 is correct, you should most definitedly boil that water first before drinking it. Even if the water was from a fresh tank, the water in that reservoir is usually still - it only flushes out when the toilet flushes down. All in the meantime, it stands there, and is a spawning pool for bacteria.

34 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

I am pretty sure we all knew that. But that was not the point - the point was even those reservoars would not have "potable" water, it would be non-potable. Because no matter what you do, a still water will eventually develop bacteria in it unless its hermetically sealed (no bacteria can get in there, like a water bottle, for example) - meaning the water you would drink, fresh out of the reservoir could still give you dysentery. Hence @Stormwolf1O1 is correct, you should most definitedly boil that water first before drinking it. Even if the water was from a fresh tank, the water in that reservoir is usually still - it only flushes out when the toilet flushes down. All in the meantime, it stands there, and is a spawning pool for bacteria.

I did say the older ones would be sketchy. Just, making it non-potable would further drive the assumption its coming from the bowl.

Just now, MarrowStone said:

I did say the older ones would be sketchy. Just, making it non-potable would further drive the assumption its coming from the bowl.

That was not the point, either. And who cares what assumption it makes - like I said, if the toilet was unused, there would be no water in the bowl anyways. In time, it evaporates away - thats why there is a foul odor in a house if noone was around for a while and there is a water flushing toilet inside. 

Point here was that, whether it comes from a bowl or the tank, that water is not "safe" to drink.

1 hour ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

I noticed today while playing a very early alpha version of the game that the toilet model was different, at least for some of them. There was no tank, only pipes going above the bowl leading into the wall. So indeed, "potable" water is being gathered from the bowl of the toilet... :/

Nope. The tank is still out there somewhere, just not visible. That "flushing" water needs to come down from somewhere, through those pipes. My grandmother has a new toilet made in the "old style", and because she has a tiny bathroom, the tank itself is hidden behind a wall - the wall is openable and the tank is hidden behind it. This would be the case.

There would be no water if the house was unused for 14 days, it evaporates quickly. The bowl would not contain a liter of water anyways - there would be half of a liter at most. The water in a bowl is there only to fill up the "U" turn of a pipe. This water is there to prevent the odor, coming from the sewage system up the pipes and through the hole in the toilet into your apartment. Thats why you go out for a holiday and come back after 10 days or so, the water in a bowl evaporated and your house smells like crap because the smell is coming from the sewage system up through the bowl. 

I am a shitty person, it is not surprising I know a thing or two about toilets.

While it is probably best to boil that water just in case, if desperate you could probably drink it and be fine.

However I think there needs to be a wider discussion on more sources of water. For example I just bashed a hole in the ice to go fishing why can I not just fill up a couple of litres of non potable water? Or all those water falls I keep passing why can i not get some water from there? 

1 hour ago, PleXD said:

"Quote"

Two plausible sources of water yes, but not without their risks (which could make gameplay interesting):

Dipping a container into the fishing hole (most likely only big enough for a liter water bottle) would most likely get your hands wet, or the bottle might be lost under the ice. Unless the player has some other means they would risk frostbite on the hands. (Ik there are other ways to get water from the hole but to keep the gameplay interesting and balanced, some added risk/reward never hurts)

Getting water from the falls could make a mechanic where being near the sprays of water steadily makes your clothes wet and freeze.

But honestly, after firewood, water is already the most plentiful resource. (However, renewable water is unobtainable without fire so addidng an alternative means to gathering it is still justifiable!)

Good points MarrowStone the more water you get the wetter/frozen you become. I am always looking at my stash of water purifying tabs and am like I should use those. But I have wasted a match to get the fire going and it is easy just to boil it. 

On 18. 9. 2017 at 7:11 AM, PleXD said:

While it is probably best to boil that water just in case, if desperate you could probably drink it and be fine.

Thats literally the exact thing you can say about non-potable water. "if desperate you could probably drink it and be fine"

On 18. 9. 2017 at 7:11 AM, PleXD said:

However I think there needs to be a wider discussion on more sources of water. For example I just bashed a hole in the ice to go fishing why can I not just fill up a couple of litres of non potable water? Or all those water falls I keep passing why can i not get some water from there? 

This is clearly an issue of game balance here. The idea with melting snow being a water source is that it relies on fire specifically. It is also not realistic that a melted snow is non potable - melted snow would be a clear, potable water right away... the need to boil it was added to make the game more challenging.

Filling up the water itself from a fishing hole would give players access to almost unlimited easy source of water. Thats a problem game balance wise. So, the cold hands would make sense as an offseting factor. There would need to be more disadvantages to it them just that, though.

water falls would be a very risky source of water to begin with - get too close, your clothes are drenched fully and you are freezing. Or the ice below you cracks and you are dragged into the depths - sureway death right there, as you would be pushed further and further away from the ice hole.

3 hours ago, DogFoodEaterPs4 said:

Ok, well let's be honest. Anyone who has drank American beer knows what drinking from the toilet is like. AAAAHHHH SNAP! Shots fired!

I come from a country well known for the beer we produce. I have drank american beer too during my visit in States - it was not that bad. Its different, more of a water then in the beer I am used to, but not bad. I found canadian beers to be much worse then american ones.

6 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

I come from a country well known for the beer we produce. I have drank american beer too during my visit in States - it was not that bad. Its different, more of a water then in the beer I am used to, but not bad. I found canadian beers to be much worse then american ones.

Your comments wound me deeply. ;) I hope at least we are distinguishing *craft* beer from mass-market fermented rice water. I am rather proud of the  Canadian craft brew selection (although I may be biased as a family member is a lead brewer at a small BC operation. )

32 minutes ago, Mel Guille said:

Your comments wound me deeply. ;) I hope at least we are distinguishing *craft* beer from mass-market fermented rice water. I am rather proud of the  Canadian craft brew selection (although I may be biased as a family member is a lead brewer at a small BC operation. )

I agree. Especially since Molsen and Coors are the same brand now! :D

But there are so many good brews in Canada with regional/limited distribution. Although these days you can find Mill Street and Moosehead anywhere so that is changing :) 

12 hours ago, Mel Guille said:

Admiteddly, the only canadian beer I ever had access to was also purchased in US, and that was a simple brand, cant even remember the name anymore - I was mostly just "prodding" Mr DogFoodEater for his joke about the american beers :D didnt meant to offend anyone. (What I mean to say is I have no right to actually judge canadian beers myself :D, if I meant it for real, I would be one hell of a hypocrite) 

Lets be honest, we cant even compare the quality of general mass produced beer to some of the local breweries. People who make their own beer put a lot more effort and love into their craft then those mass produced "flavoured waters". If ya all ever come to Czech Republic, you can get decent beer in a shop, but what you really want is to hit a pub and order some of the local beers, there are thousand of different branches, and they are a whole other experience altogether.

Also, there were some pretty horrible american beers as well, some taste really just like a flavoured water...

11 hours ago, Carbon said:

Nothing beats Pilsener in a stubby. :/

You would be surprised :D

Pilsner Urquell (predecessor of Pilseners) is pretty good beer, but I wouldnt put it up as one of the best. Better then average for sure, but still cant reach the level of most local breweries. But that may well be just my personal opinion.

12 hours ago, cekivi said:

Especially since Molsen and Coors are the same brand now!

Didnt know Coors was canadian. I didnt like Coors that much. It wasnt bad, but I didnt buy it again. But that was almost two years ago. Maybe it tastes different now...

8 hours ago, Cattleman said:

As far as dark beers go Guiness (probably spelled wrong) is a good one.

Thats an irish brew, but made worldwide. Had it before, its pretty good, but its hard to put into comparison to czech dark beers. My guess is that local irish pub brands will be much better. Czech dark beers are a bit different in taste to Guiness - so cant put it into comparison.

Hi Gang! Glad to see my fellow survivors are also very well read in the game of drink! I'm also glad we have a sense of humor.

@Mel Guille So the next new regions should have a craft brewery. I think it is about time the beer mechanic was introduced into the game. Maybe a cure for cabin fever? If it's a Canadian beer it would be realistic that it cures infection from wolf bites as wellB|.

maxresdefault.jpg

Archived