Snow Shelters - Safe or Not?

Stormwolf1O1

When snow shelters were added to the game, I believe in the trailer for that update Raph said something about wildlife still being able to attack you from inside, and to watch out for an angry bear that may drag you out, etc. I recently was using my snow shelter next to Quonset to avoid Cabin Fever, and had a close call with an Aurora wolf who was checking things out.

So the question is, while huddled in a snow shelter, is it possible to still be attacked or are we safe?

Screenshot_1.thumb.png.aae6ca23072e1879a7aeb419a7a73d7a.png

17 minutes ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

is it possible to still be attacked or are we safe?

I like the snow shelters and use one when nearby Bear caves when tracking them and even observed them from inside safely as it serves as a hiding spot.

It is like being crouched while also being blocked from the wind while being outside essentially based on my observations, and you can shoot rifle from inside too:huntingknife:

However, I believe if you are spotted and chased into the shelter by a predator it will attack you while inside but I haven't experienced this myself:wolf: 

Also you may be attacked while sleeping but the Bear skin bedroll should repel wolves at the very least...so don't sleep in shelter using Bear bedroll within Bear patrol territory unless you want one hell of a rude awakening :D

52 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Also you may be attacked while sleeping but the Bear skin bedroll should repel wolves at the very least...so don't sleep in shelter using Bear bedroll within Bear patrol territory unless you want one hell of a rude awakening :D

This should be fairly okay to do, just make sure its not bear mating season.

I love using shelters. They are great when finding a structure to use is not practical or, as some have mentioned, you are dealing with pending cabin fever.

My fav spot to build one is under the covered building never to the farmhouse in PV.  True, I could just stay in the farmhouse, but being outside is what I love. Just have to be sure to keep it repaired. The advantage to building one where I did is that it is somewhat protected from the wind storms, so repairs are marginal and easy to maintain.

the one thing I wish for most (I know it has been said and asked for by many) is a way to destroy ruined shelters. Even if you get little back or even nothing back, just to be able to clear out primo spots that for some reason has fallen into disrepair.

I dont like using snow shelters because they waste cloth, a rather valuable resource in TLD. Though renewable, it is rather hard to come by by the end-game. But I didnt know snow shelters allow people to sleep in them without bedroll, if I knew that I would have probably used them a lot more in Interloper, before obtaining bedroll.

54 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

I dont like using snow shelters because they waste cloth,

It's not too bad if you ensure not to let it drop under 75% condition which will require further cloth to repair the shelter. It takes about 2 days to go under the 75% mark so as long as you maintain it properly before then it will just require sticks:lantern:

Also when dismantling the shelter you get a cloth return of 2 pieces and 10 sticks so it really is only 3 cloth to build it and keep it functional if you maintain it properly :flaregun:

On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 11:48 AM, Stormwolf1O1 said:

So the question is, while huddled in a snow shelter, is it possible to still be attacked or are we safe?

Yes, you can be attacked while in the snow shelter.  I always wondered this, too, and my question was recently answered as I sat in a snow shelter harvesting a deer I'd just quartered.  Playing Interloper, I killed a deer with my bow and arrow just outside the Camp Office in Mystery Lake.  I already had a snow shelter behind the office and the weather was decent, so I quartered the deer and took it to the shelter to warm up as I harvested.

I didn't see or hear any wolves during the hunt or short trip into the shelter, but the scent must have attracted a wolf from the lake.  I entered the snow shelter and began harvesting the meat. Not long into it, I was suddenly thrown into the screen to choose a weapon for fighting the wolf.  I don't remember what I chose - I was thrown off by the unexpected attack.

On a side note, the attack within the snow shelter ended with a strange bug.  After the wolf fled, I seemed to be hovering above the snow shelter and couldn't move.  I was losing blood and my condition was slowly decreasing, but I could do nothing... mouse movement did nothing, keyboard keys did nothing.  The environment sounds were still normal and I could hear the wolf yelping in the distance, so the game didn't seem to be locked up.  I had to open Task Manager and kill TLD.  I figured I'd come back to the point where I'd just been attacked by the wolf, but re-entered at the save prior to that, when I had entered the Camp Office before I had gone out to hunt the deer.

Archived