Can't crouch and shoot the bow?

godhelpme89

Thanks @Timber Wolf, I was thinking more along the lines of several wolf attacks over a short period of time. I also attempt to avoid wolf dancing, but sometimes it can't be helped. I too thinking @Mroz4kspoiler ideas would be great. I've been on those slopes before at a 75 degree angle and every time I am thinking, this is like spiderman. One of those falls should definitely trigger your spoiler item.

For my thought, I was really thinking about the bear attacks having a maiming deficit/penalty. I know they have a random chance to destroy items, bedrolls, etc. and on different playing levels, that could mean the end of a run. But physically getting mauled by a bear, even a black bear, that's something where there should be a penalty of some type after a couple of those run ins. Like missing fingers or something. A decrease in accurate firing bow/rifle. Missing hand, or a missing foot/toes for movement penalty. I have only killed successfully one bear without getting mauled and each time (on Voyager) I think, could have been much worse.

3 minutes ago, Mike in GA said:

But physically getting mauled by a bear, even a black bear, that's something where there should be a penalty of some type after a couple of those run ins. Like missing fingers or something. A decrease in accurate firing bow/rifle. Missing hand, or a missing foot/toes for movement penalty. I have only killed successfully one bear without getting mauled and each time (on Voyager) I think, could have been much worse.

I get where you are coming from in terms of reality, but I really dont want to see this have some lasting effects, because I feel like bear maulings, as well as the wolf struggles, are sometimes just inevitable. Meaning that on a long-enough run, you cant avoid but to be mauled a few times, especially if you are actively hunting the bears. I suppose the bear attack could have more dire concequences, like for example giving you a fracture right away, but I would rather not have permanent effects as a result of somewhat random occurence. 

Unless we are talking the same thing Timber Wolf suggested - where the permanent afflictions become as a result of getting mauled too many times in a smaller amount of time. Which is something I could get behind - it would make hunting bears so much more riskier.

@Mroz4kTo have that balance, I would think it would need to be the latter. Using your in-game body with little/no long term risk . I agree with the inevitable run-ins. For instance, I was at the fishing huts right off the lake in CH. I have run through CH, but never set up camp there. I was cooking the daily haul of fish, since I'm attempting to land the pictured largest catch somewhere on this forum or the steam forum. Anyway, I was shocked to hear a bear growling and charging me while I was in the middle of the cooking screen. I always wondered if that could happen, and now I know. Almost knocked my laptop in the floor it startled me that much. Thankfully, I was able to escape into the cabin. I didn't know the bear would track that far inland in CH. I chalk it up to the learning curve. Not sure if the fire would have kept the bear away or not. I'm still learning, but not allowing unnecessary physical wildlife fights. I still have yet to do the shoot and run mechanic in game for bear hunting. The last mauling I was trying to shoot the bear from distance and screwed up the keys trying to get inside a cabin. :( bear snack

7 minutes ago, Mike in GA said:

I'm attempting to land the pictured largest catch somewhere on this forum or the steam forum. Anyway, I was shocked to hear a bear growling and charging me while I was in the middle of the cooking screen.

Yup, bears sure love the smell of them fishes :D, and when cooking, time is still progressing so it can definitely charge you - but the fact you are next to a fire source should also generally deter it - problem is that it no longer is a sure-proof way to get rid of them. Used to be able to trap the wildlife like this.
B|:flaregun:   :fire: :wolf:

I like the idea of having repeated maulings/struggles in some short period of time causing permanent damage - it just goes as a warning to people to try and do their best to avoid confrontation with the predators, and adds an element of real risks, going hunting for them specifically. 

Just as a point of reference for this conversation......I walked the homes on the far side of CH near commuters lament......saw a wolf and was about to hit the bait button, jumped and chewed on. As I was tracking this wolf, ran across a bear, which I shot (rifle), but it didn't die. Came out the next morning and the bear was patrolling the area again. Shot it again with the rifle and it died. Thought this was the only bear. A couple days later I decided to finally try Quonset... :) got wolf jumped and while I was quartering that wolf, got mauled by a SECOND bear! Tada! I would have a maiming based on the above, or would need to be very careful to not get jumped again for a long time.

I'll pm ideas as they come to me!

• 1 year later...
On 17.9.2017 at 10:29 PM, snakevondoof said:

Ive found that the fastest way (for me atleast) to raise my archery skill was to just use arrows on rabbits

I remember my archery skill was raising when I produced arrows. Might not be an option in more difficult settings of the game, but it worked well for me in pilgrim-mode. B|

On 9/11/2017 at 6:22 AM, godhelpme89 said:

I find it a bit odd that in a game that seems to respect wildlife, I have to kill dozens of wolves that I don't need in order to hunt deer successfully.

true that, but it's an integral part of the game mechanic unfortunately.   Just wanted to mention that  you can speed up the leveling up process by reading the archery skill books and by crafting as many bows and arrows that you can manage.   If you don't feel like killing wolves, you can always try Pilgrim mode.  Not as exciting or difficult as the  voyager and stalker modes, but you dont get attacked by wildlife so the hunting and stalking mechanic feel a little more real to me in that respect.    You'll get the hang of crouch walking stalking your prey until you're in range to get to a good shot and as your standing up you'll already be aiming and firing on your target before the animal knows what hit them.  A fun thing to do is to herd the deer towards the wolves, let the wolf take down the deer and as he is enjoying his lunch, you put a arrow in this belly instead!  

Archived