Can't crouch and shoot the bow?

godhelpme89

47 minutes ago, godhelpme89 said:

That's odd. So I have to shoot charging wolves till I get to level 5, just so I have chance to hunt deer?

Drop a decoy (a piece of meat or a gut) after the wolf spots you but before it charges.  Then take a few steps back, because it will attack you if you are too close to the decoy.  It'll walk slowly to the decoy, and slowly away after it takes it.  Any time during the slow walk is ideal to shoot the wolf.  If you miss completely it'll still walk away with the decoy and you have a little time to break contact with it.

As for hunting deer - you have to ideally scare a deer towards some boulders, or in a thicket of trees - it will start running away from you, but once it runs into too much resistance in terms of terrain, it will often start running the exact opposite way instead - towards you, often slightly to the right or left. The ideal way to take down a deer is to chase it this way, and once its starts running in your direction, you ready a bow in the height of its head and some distance ahead of the deers path. It takes some skill to learn it but it is really not that difficult once you figure it out. The ravine (transition zone between Mystery Lake and Coastal highway) has several deer in a forest area near the entrance to Mystery lake - there is lots of boulders and trees in here, and the deer cant run away too far - it is the ideal place to hunt deer with bows.

Another option is to sneak behind a deer, as closest as you can, then quickly get up and shoot it in the ass as it starts running away. Whatever works the best for ya.

1 hour ago, godhelpme89 said:

That's odd. So I have to shoot charging wolves till I get to level 5, just so I have chance to hunt deer?

Make sure that the wolf cannot spot you before you stand up and take a shot. Far as I know, wolves have 90 degree peripheral vision. Position yourself so that the wolf passes by you, but not too near that it can spot you (about 5-6 meters AWAY FROM THE POINT WHERE IT PASSES YOU). Once it has passed you, you are pretty much out of sight. Only then can you stand up and shoot it.

Here's a diagram to help you picture it:

59b57205cb9d5_WolfHuntingDiagram.png.65d28161b1e2b49820d526133040ad52.png

Do not move (change position) while standing up, the wolf will hear you if you do.

As far as deer hunting goes, GELTaz has a video that can help you with it. A bit outdated but still useful:

Like I said, not all of the information is useful due to being outdated but you can just experiment with it.

^^ this 

also several times if you wait for the Deer to start eating while you are crouched behind you can stand up and it won't notice you for a long while. Aim and shoot. I also believe tail shots can be insta kills, happens about 50-50 for me. Otherwise just track as usual. 

Excellent advice on the wolves also. While facing the wolf while backing away drop bait and walk a little further back. Aiming while it's moving in for the dropped bait will not aggro a wolf charge. Very very easy way to kill wolves. Then harvest and eat!

I usually purpose the day for wolf hunting like this, helps thin them out some and gives me a nice coat and food. 

5 hours ago, godhelpme89 said:

Thanks for all the help.

I find it a bit odd that in a game that seems to respect wildlife, I have to kill dozens of wolves that I don't need in order to hunt deer successfully.

You most certainly dont have to. In fact, it is a sign of a trully skilled player who can hunt only enough animals so that they have enough for themselves. It is simply easier to kill off the wolves first - but there are ways to avoid doing that. Several locations in the game has deer and no predators close-by - if you can discover these spots and hunt them, you can achieve that. 

Its just a point of fact that hunting wolves is generally much easier then hunting deer, but you can chose to take rocks rather than baits, and you can force wolves to go out of your way for a while by redirecting them with a thrown stone.

You can also throw a stone in front of a deer, to scare it into running in your direction, as you ready the bow for standing up and shooting it from point-blank range.

Hunting can be generally done two ways - you can attempt to hunt from a distance, which is really difficult... or you can choose to hunt from a point-blank range which takes a bit of practise, but is much easier.

17 hours ago, godhelpme89 said:

I find it a bit odd that in a game that seems to respect wildlife, I have to kill dozens of wolves that I don't need in order to hunt deer successfully.

Then you're doing something really strangely.. I almost never make use of wolves when I'm after deer. When I want deer, I stalk and shoot the deer. Wolves don't enter into the picture at all. As @Mroz4k mentions above, there are several locations where you'll find deer without predators nearby.

My preferred technique when bow-hunting deer, before level 5, is to get behind the deer while crouched down and sneak up on it. I'll try to get as reasonably close as I can, without spooking it. When I'm close enough and it puts its head down to graze, I stand and take the shot.. right up its arse.. 90% of the time it drops on the spot. Of course, that depends on the accuracy of your shot, but after a while you get pretty good at putting the arrow right where you want it, and the close range definitely helps.

18 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

You most certainly dont have to. In fact, it is a sign of a trully skilled player who can hunt only enough animals so that they have enough for themselves. It is simply easier to kill off the wolves first - but there are ways to avoid doing that. Several locations in the game has deer and no predators close-by - if you can discover these spots and hunt them, you can achieve that. 

Its just a point of fact that hunting wolves is generally much easier then hunting deer, but you can chose to take rocks rather than baits, and you can force wolves to go out of your way for a while by redirecting them with a thrown stone.

You can also throw a stone in front of a deer, to scare it into running in your direction, as you ready the bow for standing up and shooting it from point-blank range.

Hunting can be generally done two ways - you can attempt to hunt from a distance, which is really difficult... or you can choose to hunt from a point-blank range which takes a bit of practise, but is much easier.

This would feel to much like an exploit to me. Guess I'll stick to fishing and rabbits.

12 hours ago, godhelpme89 said:

This would feel to much like an exploit to me. Guess I'll stick to fishing and rabbits.

I'll assume you're talking about the close-range stalking of deer here.. because using stones to distract wolves etc is a perfectly logical tactic that Hinterland themselves introduced.

In which case, by all means take longer distance shots at the deer.. but be smart about the location you do it in. There's absolutely no need to have to tangle with wolves every time you want some venison.

On 9/12/2017 at 3:13 AM, JAFO said:

Then you're doing something really strangely.. I almost never make use of wolves when I'm after deer. When I want deer, I stalk and shoot the deer. Wolves don't enter into the picture at all. As @Mroz4k mentions above, there are several locations where you'll find deer without predators nearby.

My preferred technique when bow-hunting deer, before level 5, is to get behind the deer while crouched down and sneak up on it. I'll try to get as reasonably close as I can, without spooking it. When I'm close enough and it puts its head down to graze, I stand and take the shot.. right up its arse.. 90% of the time it drops on the spot. Of course, that depends on the accuracy of your shot, but after a while you get pretty good at putting the arrow right where you want it, and the close range definitely helps.

I think what he was trying to say is he has to kill tons of wolves to get his skill up to lv5 so he can then stalk deer and shoot them from crouching position.

What you should be telling him is you can crouch to approach deer and hide behind trees, and then pop up and shoot the deer while standing real fast.

They usually don't notice you right away when you stand, as long as you don't take any steps while standing....

On 12. 9. 2017 at 3:31 PM, godhelpme89 said:

This is not an exploit at all. Deer were hunted this way for millenia... Sometimes people will just build a blind and shoot from it with a bow, but some will rather slowly but surely sneak up close to the deer for a more precise shot. Dave Canterbury in one of his videos of replying to comments claimed that he hunts deer with a bow from a distance of five meters, because he wants to make sure he can hit the vitals and end the deer´s suffering as swiftly as possible.

Scaring the deer towards your position has also been done in the past - hunters would often work in groups, one group intentionally scared the deer to run directly into the line of fire of prepared hunters.

On 9/11/2017 at 10:22 PM, godhelpme89 said:

Thanks for all the help.

Crouching is not a barrier to hunting deer, so that's the end of all of your claims. It is true that leveling up without hunting wolves is indeed dramatically slower, but it can be done. Pacifist play is more difficult, but if you feel that strongly, you'll do it happily.

Now, thankfully you weren't around in the early evolution of man; we all would have starved to death! ;) It is not an exploit to use your brain to get what you need. Many animal species use diversion, distraction and teamwork to get their food and man is no different. If the scenario that TLD sets up were real, I suspect that your ethics would soon adjust themselves to ensure survival.

Past this, it's a game. Anything you can do in the game by the game's own mechanics is fair and if it is a capital-E exploit, it will get fixed. TLD wolves are driven by hunger and instinct (coded, if you like); leveraging this truth to your advantage is not an exploit, it's intelligent game play. Just as in reality, wolves and men are not on an equal footing; they may have the brawn, but we have the brains, as it were.

Archery skill can be increased by hitting an animal or by crafting bows and arrows. Research books can add to this as well. Letting wolves make the kill then driving them off (difficult as they will return), bouncing frightened deer off of natural barriers (relatively easy under the right conditions), quickly standing and releasing a shot (easy: a deer's butt can easily result in a critical hit) or even - as I have done before I was at a higher level - hail-Mary shots from distance (super-easy and fun: it takes a surprisingly short amount of time to figure out arc/distance ratios).

To close, yes, the shortest path to leveling up has one killing as many wolves as possible, but doing so isn't a precondition to acquiring skill.

Ive found that the fastest way (for me atleast) to raise my archery skill was to just use arrows on rabbits, its a little wasteful but if you know where to look for birch saplings then it all works out fine.

I also went on a wildlife genocide (ill post a few pics ;) )

I went through a bow and a half before getting my skill to 5. and around 70 hits with arrows.

plus I read one or two books

(sorry bad quality photos)

screen_63e726ef-7c3a-4b1e-89fa-42f121b4c79f_hi.png

screen_57425e65-ff42-4ad2-aba8-b9cbc61ce6c4.png

On 9/12/2017 at 1:13 AM, JAFO said:

This is how I hunt deer with a bow in game, and it is extremely effective. In real life very little differs from this in game tactic with the obvious exception of shot placement. Stalking deer in real life is extremely difficult, but when one gets close enough to make a quick, clean, and ethical kill it is worth it.

On 9/16/2017 at 0:41 PM, Mroz4k said:

Scaring the deer towards your position has also been done in the past - hunters would often work in groups, one group intentionally scared the deer to run directly into the line of fire of prepared hunters.

This tactic is called "brushing" I have hunted elk this way on more than one occasion. One person walks through the timber to bump the animals out (or as the term implies, 'brush them out') the other side where one or sometimes 2 other hunters are already set up waiting for a good shot.

13 hours ago, Cattleman said:

This tactic is called "brushing" I have hunted elk this way on more than one occasion. One person walks through the timber to bump the animals out (or as the term implies, 'brush them out') the other side where one or sometimes 2 other hunters are already set up waiting for a good shot.

Hmm.. I wonder if it's a derivation of the more commonly used term, "flushing" the game out?

6 hours ago, JAFO said:

Hmm.. I wonder if it's a derivation of the more commonly used term, "flushing" the game out?

Very well could be... It seems to me that terms such as this often tend to be localized to where they are used... Sometime a term that is very common somewhere, may not even be recognized just a few hundred miles away.

I happen to use wolves because on Voyager I can eat them with no risk of parasites. However, if/when I move up to stalker or loper, I will still use this method and take the risk of parasites I would think. Its not always an instant kill, there have been many times the wolf will attack me after being hit with an arrow and then quickly die, or it will run off. Had one run off across CH toward the commuters lament area, only onto that small island I couldn't get to because of the thin ice :( lost that arrow.

It's almost the same theory as stripping off clothing and knife fighting wolves so no clothing gets damaged. I don't consider that a capital E exploit, its a gamble heavily slanted toward the player, but there is a cost, possible infection, wounds, etc. Nothing permanent though, like maiming, (which would be a cool addition to the game from multiple wolf attacks, kind of like frostbite penalty) but infection healing items are finite, so its a cost for naked knife fighting. Granted the wolf loses its life, and you lose some antiseptic, but eventually you will run out if you play long enough.

$2 word of the day: Equifinality is the principle that in open systems a given end state can be reached by many potential means. Happy Hunting however you choose!

On 9/19/2017 at 0:26 PM, Cattleman said:

In my neck of the woods (Minnesota) we call the people who flush out the deer "drivers" and the people who are waiting for a shot the "posters".  I suppose this stems from American Football terminology, wherein "drives" and "posts" are commonly used lingo.

32 minutes ago, Mike in GA said:

Nothing permanent though, like maiming, (which would be a cool addition to the game from multiple wolf attacks, kind of like frostbite penalty)

Speaking as somewhat of an expert on this subject - I very much like the idea of permanent maiming.  Perhaps a person could come away from one wolf attack without lasting damage, but not several of them.  Fantastic idea, @Mike in GA!

1 hour ago, Mike in GA said:

infection healing items are finite

Infection items are infinite in the TLD, through beachcombing. You can find both peroxide bottles and cloth, useful for bandage, on a edge of water.

29 minutes ago, Timber Wolf said:

Speaking as somewhat of an expert on this subject - I very much like the idea of permanent maiming.  Perhaps a person could come away from one wolf attack without lasting damage, but not several of them.

I wouldnt like this very much, because of its random nature, being unpredictable. Several attacks in a row is something I would understand - seeing as that is the risk for going brazenly against the wolves, taking those hits - but for people who are trying to be very careful, occasional wolf tumble is unavoidable - you know, all those times when all of a sudden wolf walks out right from behind the tree he was hiding behind for a while and is smack-right in your face... struggles are often unavoidable in that kind of situation.

Here is what I think would be cool:

What I could get behind are "fractures" - not a permanent maiming, but an affliction that will work as a longer, tougher sprain. I imagine that a tussle with a wolf while having a sprained wrist in the first place could easily result in a fracture - which would prevent the player similarly like a sprained wrist does, only though it could not be healed through painkillers, painkillers would only give the player back the functionality for an hour or so... at a cost of 6 painkillers.

Would be cured by sleeping at least 6 hours a day for the next two weeks, and re-applying a split every couple of days. Imagine going in a game for 14 days without being able to climb ropes, or being able to equip weapons (fractured wrist) - so in order to hunt, you would need to pop a lot of painkillers, or resort to other food sources for the time being like fishing.

Potentionally I could see "permanent maiming" be a result of overstressing a fracture, or improperly treating it (I imagine you would need to create a split and keep it repaired.) 

Permanent punishments should not be a subject to random occurences, but rather as a punishment for improper care for one´s own health. I can see "permanently maimed" condition with wrists, increasing sway of weapons, and "permanently maimed" condition with ankles, decreasing movement speed - and these would be stackable, the same way frostbite is.

12 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

I wouldnt like this very much, because of its random nature, being unpredictable. Several attacks in a row is something I would understand - seeing as that is the risk for going brazenly against the wolves, taking those hits - but for people who are trying to be very careful, occasional wolf tumble is unavoidable - you know, all those times when all of a sudden wolf walks out right from behind the tree he was hiding behind for a while and is smack-right in your face... struggles are often unavoidable in that kind of situation.

I was thinking more along the lines of permanent penalty for several attacks in a short period of time, or repeated attacks on a regular basis - to make it more difficult for players like myself that consider wolves and wolf attacks to be nothing more than a nuisance. ¬¬

But I really like your ideas in the spoiler section.  You put much more thought into it than I ever have!  So, I want to talk more about what you wrote, but I'm not sure if I have to put all of my responses in a spoiler thing.  What's the etiquette on that? :)

27 minutes ago, Timber Wolf said:

But I really like your ideas in the spoiler section.  You put much more thought into it than I ever have!  So, I want to talk more about what you wrote, but I'm not sure if I have to put all of my responses in a spoiler thing.  What's the etiquette on that? :)

Oh, I thought you said you would like to see permanent maiming be a result of a single wolf struggle - I can totally get behind "several wolf struggles in short period in row" be a subject to a permanent maiming - like you said, this would make most players consider whether to continue on, dealing with wolves or instead go home and rest for a while to make sure they dont suffer a permanent damage.

No idea on forum ettiquette, but I have a feeling this whole thread is not much about the "cant fire a bow while crouching" anymore. 

This is actually one of my FA related ideas I had on how to make the TLD FA system a bit more in-depth and punishing/realistical. I would like to see things like "bandages" be used slightly unconventionally, to, for example, temporarily "treat" the sprains in the field, etc.

So I will bring it up in my old thread on how to make bandages more useful. 

while putting that original discussion on hold :D I want to discuss the fractures as well.

Archived