That little, TINY white dot...

CitrinePeridot

16 hours ago, JAFO said:

Well, they can and do.. but most people these days think they're too old-fashioned. But when it comes to controllers, I'll take one of these over a console-style controller every time. Feels more natural in my "old-fashioned" hands. And no matter what brand it is, no matter how fancy it looks or how many buttons it has, they all work exactly the same!

May I introduce you to the humble joystick... This is what the one I have looks like.

saitekevo.jpg

(and no, I don't use it for TLD.. keyboard and mouse does me just fine for that)

WOW.....that's quite the "joystick."

It's almost like you are compensating for something.....lol j/k :P

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, JAFO said:

Well, they can and do.. but most people these days think they're too old-fashioned. But when it comes to controllers, I'll take one of these over a console-style controller every time. Feels more natural in my "old-fashioned" hands. And no matter what brand it is, no matter how fancy it looks or how many buttons it has, they all work exactly the same!

May I introduce you to the humble joystick... This is what the one I have looks like.

saitekevo.jpg

(and no, I don't use it for TLD.. keyboard and mouse does me just fine for that)

That's an impressive joy stick there I have to say. I remember the one I used when I battled it out as Raiden on Mortal Kombat. Loved that game, and loved the versatility of the simpler times. You could really get down with it. LOL

7 hours ago, Prestermatt said:

Wow.  I haven't used a joystick since my Commodore 64 days...

Well, for some games they're still pretty much indispensable.. as anyone who's tried playing Elite: Dangerous with a console style controller can tell you.. ;)

3 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

:D So that will work for everything....including PS4?

Come on now.. even a PS3 controller won't work with a PS4.. however, it's possible to buy an adaptor that will let you use any USB controller with a PS4.

3 hours ago, Thrasador said:

WOW.....that's quite the "joystick."

Yeah.. I'm very happy with it.. 12 buttons, thumbstick, throttle, and the stick twists for z-axis control.. handy for helicopter sims especially.. but my long-term gaming-rig plans involve getting a Saitek X-56 Rhino:

x56-space-flight-vr-simulator-controller.png.4e76b22adbfe11e3c393bab04e22214f.png

Just now, JAFO said:

Yeah.. I'm very happy with it.. 12 buttons, thumbstick, throttle, and the stick twists for z-axis control.. handy for helicopter sims especially.. but my long-term gaming-rig plans involve getting a Saitek X-56 Rhino:

x56-space-flight-vr-simulator-controller.png.4e76b22adbfe11e3c393bab04e22214f.png

Holy Mary, mother of God.....now that's compensating....lol!;)

On 9/10/2017 at 10:50 PM, Prestermatt said:

Would you recommend the Steam Controller for someone willing and able to go through that process?

Further to the discussion above, here's a video showing one way to set up the controller for FPS games like CS:GO, Unreal 4, Call Of Duty, BF, etc. It makes good use of the inbuilt gyros for up/down aim and recoil control. It's a very good tutorial in that he's good at explaining what he's doing and why. It also provides a good overview of the extreme amount of control and configurability the controller has. You can also get a sense of why some people don't like the SC.. it takes a lot of effort and experimentation, not to mention really thinking about your gameplay, to get the best out of it.

His CS:GO profile is available in the Community Profiles library for the game (slightly updated from what he shows here), and it's interesting to see that whereas the majority of other CS:GO profiles have less than 100 upvotes, his has received well over 3000 upvotes.

On 09/09/2017 at 2:06 PM, Thrasador said:

Naaahhh, always tailor your games to you....

If you screw it all up (not sure how you would, lol) you can always just reset things to defaults....

Personally I'm one of those people who can't play a game at all if I cannot invert the Y-axis.

Don't know why....maybe my brain is just wired backwards....or I played too many flying games, but I pull down on a stick to go/look up and push up on a stick to go/look down.

If I can't invert the Y axis....I just can't play....

I'm the same way. I blame Descent.

Archived