That little, TINY white dot...

CitrinePeridot

Please, have mercy. Really & truly. I'm telling you that I am having to invest an exorbitant amount of time having to utilize that white dot unto the white snow to pick things up. I even tried changing my cursor size within my Windows settings to see if that would remedy this to some degree. Kill a rabbit with a stone? I first have to be able to even pick it up, and I have spent up to 10 seconds of game time, at the risk of hypothermia if I have many things I'd like to fetch, to get it. I don't have a snowball's chance in Hades of hitting a rabbit, because I do good just to pick up the stone, you guys. Just picking up sticks for my fires is a chore that makes me apprehensive due to this. I've seen other video play through clips, and it appears theirs is as big as mine was in the V .183 Alpha that I had been playing. I don't know why the difference or the change, but can the little dot please be made a tad bigger. I'd very much appreciate it. I've gotten real good at hitting boulders and downed trees with my stones, but they just don't do it for an empty, grumbling tummy. Thank you so much!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, CitrinePeridot said:

Please, have mercy. Really & truly. I'm telling you that I am having to invest an exorbitant amount of time having to utilize that white dot unto the white snow to pick things up. I even tried changing my cursor size within my Windows settings to see if that would remedy this to some degree. Kill a rabbit with a stone? I first have to be able to even pick it up, and I have spent up to 10 seconds of game time, at the risk of hypothermia if I have many things I'd like to fetch, to get it. I don't have a snowball's chance in Hades of hitting a rabbit, because I do good just to pick up the stone, you guys. Just picking up sticks for my fires is a chore that makes me apprehensive due to this. I've seen other video play through clips, and it appears theirs is as big as mine was in the V .183 Alpha that I had been playing. I don't know why the difference or the change, but can the little dot please be made a tad bigger. I'd very much appreciate it. I've gotten real good at hitting boulders and downed trees with my stones, but they just don't do it for an empty, grumbling tummy. Thank you so much!

Maybe make the dot also Light Dim Blue so it does not merge with the background, i did this on team fortress 2 and it helps a lot !

13 hours ago, CitrinePeridot said:

but can the little dot please be made a tad bigger.
Am I the only one, however, who is having a lot of difficulty with that dot?

It used to be even worse.. they finally added a thin black line around it after tons of complaints about how it was practically invisible against the snow.

10 hours ago, Kaiservadin said:

Maybe make the dot also Light Dim Blue so it does not merge with the background, i did this on team fortress 2 and it helps a lot !

Nice idea.. hopefully this is something a mod can address if Hinterland can't be persuaded.

I'm pretty sure the dot disappears once you hold down the aim button....at least mine does....

I don't go by the dot to throw rocks at rabbits anyway, I go by just above the knucle on the thumb/where the thumb bows up. The rock typically goes just above there.

I also have the best luck by running around the rabbit and trying to head it off, so I am in front of it and it's hopping twords me. Then I crouch and wait for it to hop twords the sweet spot in front of my thumb and then throw.

If you practice doing those things, your odds of getting a rabbit should go up....

9 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

I'm pretty sure the dot disappears once you hold down the aim button....at least mine does....

Actually, the dot is invisible most of the time, and only time it shows up is if you are looking close to something that you can harvest or open. Or during aiming, it shows up permanently (I think at least). 

What I think is the biggest issue is your sensitivity, guys. I used to have mad problems with this because mine was too high - I switched it to be relatively low, and now I no longer have a big issue with missing hits or picking things up. As far as rabbit stone hunting go, yes, it is better to use your knuckles, but if you want to go with a bow, or rifle, most people will need that HUD. It is actually a lot of fun to play the game with HUD disabled, by the way. And a real challenge. At least for me personally, this issue was mostly solved by changing the sensitivity.

Also, whenever picking things like sticks up from the ground, or the stones, I tend to crouch before picking it up - this suprisingly also helps quite a lot with picking tiny or thin items from the ground.

OP, another trick which comes to mind when picking stones up - when you are picking stones up to keep them, press "H" to "holster" them before picking more up. Dont try to pick more stones while holding a stone in your hand... you will likely miss and just throw your current stone away. By holstering it this wont happen.

Additionally, when you are stone hunting rabbits and dont have a stone in your hand, it can be rather obnoxious to press "2" for weapon hotkey to try and find the stones. Easier way is to pick up a new stone from the ground - find a stone, press left click once, and the item window opens up - now, press spacebar. This will automatically equip the stone into your hands. This is immensely useful when hunting rabbits with stones. 

Aim down with your fingers like Thrasador mentioned, and throw the stone. If you hit the rabbit, sprint towards it and hit the key "H" to holster the stones you have in your hand. Now, you will have much easier time picking that rabbit up. Deal with the rabbit, then drop it to the ground (easiest way by pressing hotkey "3" for using baits) to stop being smelly, smelliness makes the other rabbits run away from you from farther distance. Now, take a look at the stone you hit the rabbit with, or some other closeby stone - click left click, open the item window, then click the spacebar. 

And you have a dead rabbit carcass to pick up later on, you have a stone in your hand and you are not smelly - basically you are ready to hunt more rabbits with your stones. 

Oh wow. That's a lot to digest there. LOL I didn't realize so much was involved. It's no wonder I've been having such poor luck as my stomach rages on. As for hot keys, I've yet to use them. So, they're not going to come natural for me. I will have to learn those. Whew! So much to learn, you guys. What an adventure.

Its just a matter of getting used to them - but they can make your life a whole heap easier, so take some time to get used to them. You wont regret it. Once I started using the holster key with stones, and the space key to re-equip them, rabbit stone hunting became so easy its just a matter of 4 IRL minutes or so to harvest the entire rabbit hunting spot altogether. I can get a run around three rabbit groves a day, and the only really obnoxious thing that is left afterwards is stripping the meat of those rabbits. That thing takes way too much time to do... 

2 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Actually, the dot is invisible most of the time, and only time it shows up is if you are looking close to something that you can harvest or open. Or during aiming, it shows up permanently (I think at least). 

Nope it disappears when holding down the aim button, I just tested it to make sure. It would make more sense to show up when trying to aim, but that probably would make it "too easy" according to Hinterland.....so it disappears.

What I think is the biggest issue is your sensitivity, guys. I used to have mad problems with this because mine was too high - I switched it to be relatively low, and now I no longer have a big issue with missing hits or picking things up. As far as rabbit stone hunting go, yes, it is better to use your knuckles, but if you want to go with a bow, or rifle, most people will need that HUD.

Who's the "guys" only one person is having trouble aimimg the Dot to pick stuff up, Troy can't see the dot. I turned my sensitivity down to 12 after playing for 20 seconds. Then I turned it down more via the Steam controller settings.

OP, another trick which comes to mind when picking stones up - when you are picking stones up to keep them, press "H" to "holster" them before picking more up. Dont try to pick more stones while holding a stone in your hand... you will likely miss and just throw your current stone away. By holstering it this wont happen.

People using controllers don't have that issue. Pick up and throw are mapped to two different buttons on controllers.

Additionally, when you are stone hunting rabbits and dont have a stone in your hand, it can be rather obnoxious to press "2" for weapon hotkey to try and find the stones. Easier way is to pick up a new stone from the ground - find a stone, press left click once, and the item window opens up - now, press spacebar. This will automatically equip the stone into your hands. This is immensely useful when hunting rabbits with stones. 

I just use the radial. It's pretty easy....

If you hit the rabbit, sprint towards it and hit the key "H" to holster the stones you have in your hand. Now, you will have much easier time picking that rabbit up. Deal with the rabbit, then drop it to the ground (easiest way by pressing hotkey "3" for using baits) to stop being smelly, smelliness makes the other rabbits run away from you from farther distance. Now, take a look at the stone you hit the rabbit with, or some other closeby stone - click left click, open the item window, then click the spacebar. 

I don't think I've ever had an issue with picking up a rabbit other than not getting there fast enough....

As far as the smell of rabbit scaring other rabbits, that sounds a lot like a made up untested @Mroz4k non-fact to me. I don't believe I have EVER read anywhere including in a patch note, on the forums, in a Wiki, or in a video by game veterans about smell affecting ANYTHING other than wolves. Pretty sure rabbit smell scaring rabbits is in your head. I have killed 5 or 6 rabbits in a row with the other 4 or 5 rabbits on my person, and they NEVER reacted any differently to me. As far as dropping them to avoid wolves tracking you, that's not a terrible idea.....but I generally don't bother doing it.

I'll ask @JAFO and @Timber Wolf if they know anything about dead rabbit smell scaring other rabbits away from you farther than normal....

21 minutes ago, CitrinePeridot said:

Thank you also @Mroz4k for mentioning the sensitivity thing. That seems to be exactly what it is I am dealing with.  :-)

Just an FYI, pretty much every game these days has a slider somewhere for look/aim sensitivity. Sorry I didn't mention it, I consider adjusting sensitivity as common knowledge in video games at this point....

Even after adjusting it in game, I played around with it more in the Steam controller settings. Not sure that part is an option for you though, since you are not using a controller.

2 minutes ago, CitrinePeridot said:

I'm sure that's true. I've just always gone with the defaults within any game, always somewhat concerned I will somehow screw it up if I tamper with it. LOL

Naaahhh, always tailor your games to you....

If you screw it all up (not sure how you would, lol) you can always just reset things to defaults....

Personally I'm one of those people who can't play a game at all if I cannot invert the Y-axis.

Don't know why....maybe my brain is just wired backwards....or I played too many flying games, but I pull down on a stick to go/look up and push up on a stick to go/look down.

If I can't invert the Y axis....I just can't play....

40 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Should be a slider under options....controls or something....

Yep, it should be somewhere in there. Truth is, almost all the options in TLD have riddiculous settings... the mouse sensitivity is through the roof, same with the sounds... Like I have both of my sensitivity and several of my sound options down to few percents...

What I can trully reccomend is investing some money into a gaming mouse which often these days have a button (usually under your pointdexter´s knuckle) which can switch mouse sensitivity in three modes. I use the lowest sensitivity when I am mostly just gathering things, but if I am on a journey or hunting, I use a bit higher sensitivity, as it allows me to look around the place more easily, be more aware of my surroundings (as I walk I always scan the horizon all the time for predators and things of interests like corpses, loot containers or natural resources), and more easily turn around my arrowpoint to adjust for animal movements. 

But these are just personal reccomendations, its up to invididual person to figure out what works the best for them :D

You know, that actually touches on another issue I'm finding myself having. I have lupus which struck my hands. Things like typing here don't bother me as much as other activities as my fingers are not required to remain in one spot, apply pressure, and repeat the same movements. I'm wondering if it might not be a good idea for me to consider that as I have difficulty with the placement of key spacing. They require me to crook or hook my fingers down, and mine don't always want to accommodate those actions. I don't want to change any key settings, because most people's advice is based on the defaults, and I'm not trying to confuse the crap out of myself trying to keep up with all that. That said, I don't necessarily want to have to start over in yet another way by introducing yet another new aspect. I'm doing good in the game just to be able to back away from something much less anything else. I'm committed, because I love this game. It's just a tad challenging in ways that are in no way Hinterland's fault.

14 minutes ago, CitrinePeridot said:

You know, that actually touches on another issue I'm finding myself having. I have lupus which struck my hands. Things like typing here don't bother me as much as other activities as my fingers are not required to remain in one spot, apply pressure, and repeat the same movements. I'm wondering if it might not be a good idea for me to consider that as I have difficulty with the placement of key spacing. They require me to crook or hook my fingers down, and mine don't always want to accommodate those actions. I don't want to change any key settings, because most people's advice is based on the defaults, and I'm not trying to confuse the crap out of myself trying to keep up with all that. That said, I don't necessarily want to have to start over in yet another way by introducing yet another new aspect. I'm doing good in the game just to be able to back away from something much less anything else. I'm committed, because I love this game. It's just a tad challenging in ways that are in no way Hinterland's fault.

If you are playing on PC, I would look into getting a gamepad or remapping your keys so they are all easy to reach....it won't be hard to retrain your fingers either way. Especially if you are putting things where you want them because they "make sense" to you that way.....

Another thing I love about gaming mouses is that many of them also have additional "keys" to which you can set some functions. The one that I have has a special key to change the sensitivity, as well as two other side-buttons for my thumb. I dont use them for TLD but in other games it is a habit I made a good use of. I will probably start using them for TLD as well once I get a new PC, I can imagine that "holster" will be one of the functions I will key to my thumb button. Not sure about the other one yet. But holster function is a very useful key for general hunting.

18 hours ago, Thrasador said:

I have killed 5 or 6 rabbits in a row with the other 4 or 5 rabbits on my person, and they NEVER reacted any differently to me. As far as dropping them to avoid wolves tracking you, that's not a terrible idea.....but I generally don't bother doing it.

I'll ask @JAFO and @Timber Wolf if they know anything about dead rabbit smell scaring other rabbits away from you farther than normal....

I've never noticed any difference in rabbit behaviour when I'm already carrying their friends in my backpack. They'll still come really close to you, so long as you're crouched.

Archived