Chicken & Dumplings/Corned Beef Hash

CitrinePeridot

What does it matter, when it goes rotten in a matter of weeks? *spreads some pessimism*

You save it all up in a cupboard, for a rainy day, live exclusively of meat for weeks and then, when you run out of meat and open that cupboard, all those cans have deteriorated and give you food poisoning.

That's actually a fair point you've made. They do go bad fairly quickly, and the Chicken & Dumplings in particular would be a bigger can usually. I was just thinking that, if we're going to have canned foods, wouldn't it be nice to have kinds that would be like a meal instead of a single item. I appreciate you putting some perspective on this, and you're right. 

3 hours ago, Hesha said:

What does it matter, when it goes rotten in a matter of weeks? *spreads some pessimism*

You save it all up in a cupboard, for a rainy day, live exclusively of meat for weeks and then, when you run out of meat and open that cupboard, all those cans have deteriorated and give you food poisoning.

I don't hoard them for a rainy day.. I'll hang onto them until needed, but for me, they're "travel rations". On long multi-day journeys, they save me having to hunt for food, and they mean I don't have to worry about attracting predators. So they're also a tool, not just foodstuff.

Having not experienced issues with that given I have a beginning start in Story mode & the easiest level in the non-story mode, I never thought of that to be honest, but that too is a good point. One I will have to remember. My favorite carry along had always been the MRE if I had one for the duration it lasted and the calories it packed. 

3 minutes ago, JAFO said:

I don't hoard them for a rainy day.. I'll hang onto them until needed, but for me, they're "travel rations". On long multi-day journeys, they save me having to hunt for food, and they mean I don't have to worry about attracting predators. So they're also a tool, not just foodstuff.

Sure, that's what they are in the game. That's what I'm so annoyed about. Your preserved, canned, indestructible food goes rotten in your cupboard and a piece of meat pulled off a rotting, ravaged deer carcass can lie around your base for 20 years and if you cook it before eating, it will be perfectly safe to eat. Sure. Makes sense.

4 minutes ago, CitrinePeridot said:

ROFL Doesn't it though?  *grin* That was good. Good point and well put. Yet, given what he pointed out and knowing beforehand how it is within the game, I appreciate his "heads up" insight for something I will in the future be dealing with.

You should look into one of the wikis about that, there is some a ranking of food by weight. Basically the "best" food is Salty Crackers (600kcal/100g) followed by energy bars and then a ton of things at 350/300 kcal per 100g. Like Sardines or Granola bars. So basically the best stuff to take on a long trip is salty crackers, sardines, beef jerky, mre and granola bars (and cattail stalks, but you might find them on the way anyways)

You see? That right there actually touches on a difference in the approach I originally took to this game, though not intentional. More accidentally. Let me take the version I had for instance. I noted on the site I downloaded it from that many were complaining of there being an update that had not (& apparently never was) posted. Yet, I just wanted to see how good this game was in its "present form" presented at the site. People were, after all, asking for the updates. So, promising was my view of it given that. I downloaded it and began playing. It wasn't until I had become acquainted with both locations within that version before I decided that, yes, I too would like the updates. I typed in TLD, and there popped up maps. Oh. So, there were maps all along, huh? Yes, indeed. I did not know that, but by this time I had really no use for them other than to see that I had, in fact, found all the noted "goodie spots" and locations. This is also why I get tickled when people think I am so very afraid of dying in this game. Are you kidding me? I have died, numerous, NUMEROUS times just from misjudgment, misdirection, and the elements alone in this game in my quest to explore it. LOL Of course, with the finding of the maps, I was then curious again about that update. Never did find that actually, but I did see that Story mode would soon come out. Needless to say, I was excited. So, I have not fully explored nor have I utilized all the info out there on this game. I do like the idea of approaching this as if I am that survivor who really has no access to all of that. Yet, in coming here, I also enjoy reading all the exploits others have been on, and admire reading their knowledge and insights on survival. 

3 hours ago, CitrinePeridot said:

Sorry for delay in response. I realized that I had not responded to this one before it logged me out that day due to inactivity. Thank you for saying so. I appreciate that. I enjoy your posts as well. 

No problem :) I hadn't really expected a response...

But finally I found that food list I promised you, there are the top foods by weight / kcal ratio:

1) Salty Crackers (600kcal per 100g)
2) Energy Bar (500kcal per 100g)
3) Beef Jerky / MRE (350kcal per 100g)
4) Cat Tail Stalk / Condensed Milk / Sardines / Granola Bar (300kcal per 100g)

Everything else I usually eat when I find it, but you should consider that even the second worst processed food (Tomato Soup at 120kcal per 100g) is still 33% better than the best respawning food, which is bear meat (900kcal per 100g). Obviously cooking skill has an impact on that and I guess you almost break even once you hit level 5. So it might be a good idea to collect a ton of firewood and spent 72 hours or so cooking up tiny bits of meat that you've pulled of a carcass with the harvest-Esc method...

The only processed food that's as "bad" as bear meat, but still better than any other meat or fish, is the peaches.

Well, in my current Survival mode I found the cooking book and researched it fully. So, I don't know where that puts my cooking skill, but I'm assuming since it's 5 times to research it fully it puts me at that? I don't know where within the game to check my stats on my skills. That is new to me as well. Thank you so much for taking the time to both provide and explain that to me. Otherwise, not knowing all these resources for info within the game existed, I was going by trial and error as well as observation. Obviously I was off by quite a bit on what conclusions I drew about the best thing to take with me for emergencies. (I chose the MRE.) I'm a little lost in some of those numbers and the break down of them, but I'm slowly learning here. LOL 

Also, it would help me getting to know how this forum format works a bit better. I was in the process of doing my daily run through of notifications to respond to them. Something (in R/L) came up, I stepped away, and, when I came back, it had once again logged me out. By then my notifications that I had not yet responded to had scrolled down to off the little notification screen. It took me some time to track down where exactly all those were that I had not responded to. *sigh* Yet, I kept thinking I'm missing that one (yours), and for the life of me I couldn't recall under which of the threads I had started that it'd happened. So, I ended up having to use the "Threads I Started" under condensed, and there it was. LOL 

You may not have expected a response, but I'm not going to not respond to a compliment. That would be entirely rude, and I don't care to be associated with that type of snotty attitude wherein one takes in compliments and doesn't have the grace to thank the person and return the favour. That's just simply not me.

On 09/09/2017 at 4:42 PM, CitrinePeridot said:

Well, in my current Survival mode I found the cooking book and researched it fully. So, I don't know where that puts my cooking skill, but I'm assuming since it's 5 times to research it fully it puts me at that? I don't know where within the game to check my stats on my skills. That is new to me as well. Thank you so much for taking the time to both provide and explain that to me. Otherwise, not knowing all these resources for info within the game existed, I was going by trial and error as well as observation. Obviously I was off by quite a bit on what conclusions I drew about the best thing to take with me for emergencies. (I chose the MRE.) I'm a little lost in some of those numbers and the break down of them, but I'm slowly learning here. LOL 

No, skills take fare longer to max than reading 5 books. Reading a book gives you a fraction of a skill, on the last level the increment by which the book advances you is to small, you can barely see it. I think to increase your cooking skill from 4 to 5 you have to cook like 300 meals. And this, by harvesting 100g bits of meat rather than the standard 1kg bits, you get to cook 10x as many meals and thus increase your skill 10x more - at the expense of firewood and time, obviously, but since you can make water in your fire and have plenty of meat to eat once you cooked it, that isn't really an issue.

You can check your skills by pressing "j" for journal and then selecting the second option from the top, the first option with the numbered days being the journal.

Yes, but the game doesn't actually let you cut smaller than 0.5 kg. So what you do is click "harvest" and when the timer has completed about one fifth of a rotation you press Esc, which cancels the harvesting, but puts a fraction of the harvest job into your inventory. Takes a little practice, but this way you usually get bits of about 90 to 150g.

• 1 year later...
On 9/17/2017 at 4:51 AM, loriaw said:

Basic nutrition appears to have been completely ignored. What food is available would not keep a person alive for any long period of time. Even eating pounds of meat per day would eventually leave a person so malnourished that they would not have the stamina or strength to obtain more. 

We need vegetables and fruit, or at least vitamins that can be looted the same as pain pills and antibiotics. Wild garlic, onions, pine nuts, frozen berries, etc. would help as well. And fat. While it could be assumed that some fat would be eaten with cooked meat, the complete lack of it would leave a person constantly feeling hungry in a very short amount of time.

Salt. That is all.

Carbs of any sort are something else that is glaringly missing. No bread (even stale or moldy), no flour, no pancake mix (in spite of all the pancake pics on the walls), no rice or random boxes of pasta. 

Something else that (to me at least) should be in this game would be a few left over apples in the orchards at PV (or a basket in the basement that would have to be picked through). Random small gardens with an rng amount of missed ground vegetables (potatoes, carrots, onions) or spices. 

Nut trees with a few that the missing squirrels didn't get (or a stored cache). 

Even in the dead of winter there is food to be found if you know where to look for it. There is a lot more than just cat tails. 

Barring the addition of wild foods, there should still be a much more varied loot list. How about some green beans, or carrots, a bag of mushy onions, or some varied soups? A box of baking mix? A bag of rice? A bottle of cooking oil? Noodles? Bouillon? Now, I have no idea if/how cooking 'some' rice or 'a few biscuits/pancakes' could be implemented ~ I just know that these are things that are missing. Perhaps dividing them the way the coffee and tea is currently handled would work.

At the very least, without vitamins, the entire concept of survival on nothing but meat would not ever be a possibility with the current food available. Most people have not got generations of adaptation to only eating one type of meat with little else (like some Native peoples). 

Wolves, bears, and blizzards are definite hazards ~ so is nutritional depletion and a lack of necessary vitamins, minerals, and salt. The human body does cease to function without at least some of the basics.

You can't live on meat, would be the common wisdom - there in fact hundreds, if not thousands of people on a Carnivore diet - all meat and they have been for years - many in excess of 10 years. (no, I'm not recommending it - but I do think it's realistic, and possibly affected by genetics - so take that with a huge grain of salt).   A vast amount of our understanding of nutrition is... flawed.  For example you need significantly less thiamine if you're only consuming animal proteins and fats, and those levels are available in the diet.  Blood tests show that carnivore diet participants have about 1/2 the recommended level - a bit of research shows that for what they're eating, that lower number is fine.  Same goes for vitamin C - and it seems, pretty much everything else - we'll see. Nutrition "best practice" is and will remain a moving target for quite a while I think. 

Archived