Compass ( Enables minimap )

Kaiservadin

On 14. 9. 2017 at 0:29 AM, Xanthos said:

Actually i am pretty good with maps because of my motorized hobbies. It is because of this experience that i notice that these important landmarks are missing. Now that i think of it, there should already be a compass in the game, the sun. Never paid attention to it so far. I normally navigated on the sun when touring around in my home country was quite a lot of fun to test my high-school geography knowledge.

I would be careful about that one. I didnt test this myself, but someone I consider very knowledgeable reported that in different regions, the sun comes up on a wrong side then it should. It is not united mechanic (but like I said, I cant confirm that myself).

54 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

someone I consider very knowledgeable reported that in different regions, the sun comes up on a wrong side then it should. It is not united mechanic (but like I said, I cant confirm that myself).

Certainly that used to be the case.. but Hinterland stated that this was one of the things they intended to fix for the Wintermute release.. I haven't seen any confirmation that they've done so, but nor have I seen any evidence to the contrary.

1 hour ago, Mroz4k said:

I would be careful about that one. I didnt test this myself, but someone I consider very knowledgeable reported that in different regions, the sun comes up on a wrong side then it should. It is not united mechanic (but like I said, I cant confirm that myself).

If you use the orientation of the regions based on how they appear on the in-game maps, with N at the top, then the position and track of the sun is reliable now.  Except for Broken Railroad, where it rises in the west and sets in the east -- basically 180 degrees wrong. :P 

https://hinterlandgames.atlassian.net/browse/TLDP-4133?

1 hour ago, Ruruwawa said:

If you use the orientation of the regions based on how they appear on the in-game maps, with N at the top, then the position and track of the sun is reliable now.  

This is something that has been confusing meO.o I have been charting out the regions for the 1st time starting with Coastal Highway. When looking at the player created map with the top being N while also referring to the Sun's current position it all makes sense:)

But once I started charting Pleasant Valley I got really turned around when using the Sun as a point of reference to determine direction on the player map and downloaded White-Berrys excellent maps and while comparing both maps together using landmarks I determined that North is not the Top on either of the maps as the Sun rises and sets with E being the Top of the mapo.O

59bc208f648a5_PVSunrise2.thumb.jpg.bb9cfb9142d298c105ecd9b22fffa3d4.jpg

Here is the Sun rising over the Farmstead - that is the enclosed Porch side (my fav part of farm) of the Farmhouse facing the opposite direction relatively

59bc21485815f_PVSunset.thumb.jpg.8a1b86d50df587dbede58d082fecc690.jpg

Here the enclosed Porch side of the Farmhouse is facing the Sunset - that is Heartbreak Bridge which actually runs North to South if we go by the position of the Sun in both pics

E

Pleasant_Valley_map_by_whiteberry-toarda.thumb.png.5e12cf2d361bd4830b5691241d9a1b2e.png

W

If you rotate the Whiteberry map and look at the player map using the landmarks and the Road as reference points it will show the player map looks like this with North not being at the Top if you use the position of the Sun as a reference for direction

Am I crazy or am I a poor navigator?:S

44 minutes ago, Frosty said:

This is something that has been confusing meO.o I have been charting out the regions for the 1st time starting with Coastal Highway. When looking at the player created map with the top being N while also referring to the Sun's current position it all makes sense:)

But once I started charting Pleasant Valley I got really turned around when using the Sun as a point of reference to determine direction on the player map and downloaded White-Berrys excellent maps and while comparing both maps together using landmarks I determined that North is not the Top on either of the maps as the Sun rises and sets with E being the Top of the mapo.O

59bc208f648a5_PVSunrise2.thumb.jpg.bb9cfb9142d298c105ecd9b22fffa3d4.jpg

Here is the Sun rising over the Farmstead - that is the enclosed Porch side (my fav part of farm) of the Farmhouse facing the opposite direction relatively

59bc21485815f_PVSunset.thumb.jpg.8a1b86d50df587dbede58d082fecc690.jpg

Here the enclosed Porch side of the Farmhouse is facing the Sunset - that is Heartbreak Bridge which actually runs North to South if we go by the position of the Sun in both pics

E

Pleasant_Valley_map_by_whiteberry-toarda.thumb.png.5e12cf2d361bd4830b5691241d9a1b2e.png

W

If you rotate the Whiteberry map and look at the player map using the landmarks and the Road as reference points it will show the player map looks like this with North not being at the Top if you use the position of the Sun as a reference for direction

Am I crazy or am I a poor navigator?:S

You may be right, and I was definitely lazy.   The sun  in PV used to always be wrong but I assumed they fixed it when then corrected the orientation.  I guess not. :D

16 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

You may be right, and I was definitely lazy.   The sun  in PV used to always be wrong but I assumed they fixed it when then corrected the orientation.  I guess not. :D

OK cool I was just about to post a question on another thread about this cus like you say it seems to be the case that N is top of the map and it just makes sense the survivor would draw it this way. 

But I have only charted CH and PV so far and while learning the landmarks for navigation I have been using the sun so it was frustrating when I first got to PV and everything seemed off:coffee:

Archived