Wear on Clothing & Sleeping...

CitrinePeridot

I just want to know if you are in an interior environment and take all/most of your clothing off before laying down to sleep if that affects or reduces the amount of wear on your clothing. I did this in the free version of the two location one I had, and I always had this belief that it did. Also, my temp never dropped to a level that was a danger to me. So, I was always  in the habit of doing so to reduce the amount of wear on my clothing (was my thought).  In this one does that have any effect whatsoever whether you are in Survival mode or Story mode? Thank you for any insights on this.

ROFL I've actually done that...(  *clearing throat*  ) maybe more than once?  ;-)  That alone should have been enough to frighten any predators away, no? Ok. So, I wasn't in error in thinking that it did have an effect. I just made it a part of my getting up routine. Haven't done it in this one as of yet as I was unsure. Thank you.

I cant actually say for certain that it does not, but I don't believe it. Clothing degrades even just sitting in a drawer at your base, at a far faster rate than is acceptable, much less believable.   The only way to test this would be to get the exact same set of clothing on two different saves, and repair them all to 100% at the exact same time of day, then never leave whatever interior location you are in, and remove the clothing on one save, and not the other.  If you step outside, the weather automatically becomes an uncontrolled variable and ruins the experiment. 

Sorry @Timber Wolf, but the error was complimentary. :) It was the other bastion of research @Drifter Man.

There are some sparse tables regarding clothing lower down in the OP. The thread is old, but as far as I know, the decay rates haven't been altered. This doesn't say much, as I am hardly in any inner circles, but I do keep up with the change logs and I have seen nothing explicit about clothing degradation rates being changed. Perhaps Patrick or Mel are the ones who can best comment on this.

Another thread here that might be interesting. Again, dated.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=558517894

On 05/09/2017 at 0:42 AM, CitrinePeridot said:

I just want to know if you are in an interior environment and take all/most of your clothing off before laying down to sleep if that affects or reduces the amount of wear on your clothing. I did this in the free version of the two location one I had, and I always had this belief that it did. Also, my temp never dropped to a level that was a danger to me. So, I was always  in the habit of doing so to reduce the amount of wear on my clothing (was my thought).  In this one does that have any effect whatsoever whether you are in Survival mode or Story mode? Thank you for any insights on this.

Putting your clothes in a container (or maybe just taking them off and leaving in the backpack) reduces the degradation rate compared to wearing them constantly. However, clothes still decay even when not worn. When I tested in Voyageur long time ago, the rate was about 5 times slower in a container than when worn. (http://www.hinterlandforums.com/forums/topic/8877-1000-days-in-the-dam-an-exercise-in-inventory-control/?page=24, about halfway through the page).

More recently I noticed that a cotton toque put in a container in Interloper decays at 1% per day, about twice as fast as when worn. I didn't measure systematically.

7 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

Putting your clothes in a container (or maybe just taking them off and leaving in the backpack) reduces the degradation rate compared to wearing them constantly. However, clothes still decay even when not worn. When I tested in Voyageur long time ago, the rate was about 5 times slower in a container than when worn. (http://www.hinterlandforums.com/forums/topic/8877-1000-days-in-the-dam-an-exercise-in-inventory-control/?page=24, about halfway through the page).

When you recorded these numbers, did you stay inside the dam the entire time or go outside with the clothes on?  My feeling is if you are indoors, there isn't a difference in degradation whether wearing or storing the clothes.

7 hours ago, Drifter Man said:

More recently I noticed that a cotton toque put in a container in Interloper decays at 1% per day, about twice as fast as when worn.

Now I'm a little confused.  This seems contrary to what you were seeing in your Voyager run.

2 hours ago, Timber Wolf said:

Now I'm a little confused.  This seems contrary to what you were seeing in your Voyager run.

Because I am pretty sure it changed since then.

I remember times when taking clothes off was a neccesity, because the game had very finite resources and one of the first to run out always was cloth. So, taking clothes off to conserve them was a neccesity for long runs. Then the game updated and we got different modes - and during these times, it seemed that storing clothes away was one of the ways to decrease the condition loss but it was not as notable as before. This was before Feats were implemented.

Then I stopped playing for a while, so I dont know what happened in between then. But when I came back to the game, feats were a thing and so were challenges. 

I am not one to go doing meticulous researches, I usually experience these things through just normal gameplay, and if I notice something I need to confirm, I test it a couple of times in separate games. When I came back to TLD, I still had that early gamemode routine of taking my clothes off for night, but in time I noticed there was hardly any difference between keeping them on and taking them off, only that the second option was much more annoying. I am not sure when I first noticed this, but it was in the pre-cartographer era for sure. I think I know when this change occured.

If I am to take a logical guess, this has changed in Resolute Outfitter update. That update dealt mostly with clothes, and introduced our current clothing system, as well as new items to wear. Many clothes have been changed in what they can do, we could now layer the clothes, and it seems that many clothes were changed to be "worse" - for example, since Resolute outfitter, the wolf coat dropped quite a lot in terms of "warmth and air resistance" protection, but not so much in weight.

Resolute outfitter falls in between the updates that brought badges and feats and the Cartographer update, and I know for a fact this is the first major update I have been around for since my last long-term vacation from the game. Different clothes age differently since Resolute Outfitter, and I believe that leaving clothes lying around or in containers now may even degrade them further. I am also pretty sure that Resolute Outfitter was the update where wetness and frozen clothes were introduced, which is yet another thing that has an effect on how quickly the clothes degrade.

Again, speaking from experience rather then using facts (so take me with a pinch of scepticism), but I believe that this "remove clothes to sleep to conserve them" is at this point a custom maintained by this community through reccomendations by seasoned players, and may no longer be accurate.

Now I wish I could go testing. I hate being without a PC...

Resolute Outfitter was an update that came in december of 2016. Drifter´s challenge was around a year earlier. That also fits timeline-wise.

Thank you all for the insights, links, etc. It could be that there have been some changes to that, but the reason I even began doing that was that I could have just repaired an item in V .183 Alpha, go to sleep, & wake to find it was no longer at 100%. So, I just made it a habit. I will have to check out these links. thank you guys.  :-)

On 08/09/2017 at 10:18 PM, Timber Wolf said:

When you recorded these numbers, did you stay inside the dam the entire time or go outside with the clothes on?  My feeling is if you are indoors, there isn't a difference in degradation whether wearing or storing the clothes.

No, I was normally going about with my life. For several hundred days :) Whenever I repaired a piece of clothing I was wearing, I just took note of the repair amount and went on.

On 08/09/2017 at 10:18 PM, Timber Wolf said:

The two runs were several game versions and two levels of difficulty apart - that may be the explanation.

Archived