Things about TLD you never knew and just realized

Frosty

After around 1,500 games days I have just discovered that I can open the hood of cars after seeing it mentioned here.  Not that it does any good. There is a battery there but I can't do anything with it.

Another seemingly redundant feature is the sun shade inside cars.  I have never found anything behind a sun shade.

Have I missed something?

What other redundant features are there?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, peteloud said:

After around 1,500 games days I have just discovered that I can open the hood of cars after seeing it mentioned here.  Not that it does any good. There is a battery there but I can't do anything with it.

Another seemingly redundant feature is the sun shade inside cars.  I have never found anything behind a sun shade.

Have I missed something?

What other redundant features are there?

yeah who knows maybe it's just a feature they added for possible future game play is all I can think of.

The sunshades can be used to "mark" cars.  You have 4 possible states, that you can ascribe your own meanings to:

Both up: unlooted

Left up/Right Down: Looted inside, but not trunk (locked)

Left Down/Right Up: Looted, but something of value left inside

Both down: looted everything (including trunk)

Though, I usually use this:

Both up: unlooted

Both down: looted everything but trunk

Both down and Battery on Roof: everything looted.

8 hours ago, Doc Feral said:

Last time I tried (a few days ago) I couldn't remove the battery. Was it a canceled feature or a very new one? Or did I try with the wrong car?

Did it yesterday in v1.39.  Have been doing it ever since Wintermute at least.

Trouble with opening the hood is that if you have to take refuge in that car, you can't see much.

Believe it or not, one detail I discovered not too long ago is that you can cook raw meat without having/needing a cooking pot. This is because I rarely use the radial menu. I have to admit, the procedure could be made a little more user-friendly. Holding the spacebar to keep the radial menu visible, then selecting the piece of meat with the right mouse button to place the meat in the designated spot(s) near a fire isn't particularly easy to discover. (And even when discovered, I managed to confirm I wanted to eat raw meat twice).

With this hindsight, I laugh at the me of two months ago, lost in the fog of Forlorn Muskeg with 5 kg of raw meat, trying to find a cooking pot… — nah, it's too embarrassing an experience to describe in detail… :D

–Rick

On 4.11.2018 at 10:46 AM, peteloud said:

After around 1,500 games days I have just discovered that I can open the hood of cars after seeing it mentioned here.  Not that it does any good.

I often open the hood to mark cars I already looted. Doesn't work with all of them though

On 11/4/2018 at 4:46 AM, peteloud said:

Have I missed something?

I've heard a couple different people suggest that there is a super, insanely low chance that a candy bar can be found behind sun shades.

B I G  I F  T R U E ?

Really though, I've played over 1100 hours now and looted my fair share of cars, including turning down the shades. Not a single candy bar there, or anything else.

1 hour ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

Really though, I've played over 1100 hours now and looted my fair share of cars, including turning down the shades. Not a single candy bar there, or anything else.

From Milton Mailbag #8:

Question from @okapi:

People are asking a lot more important questions than me... but I always wondered, what is the point of being able to search the visors in the cars? They never have anything in them. In my first hours with the game I would check them every time.

The idea was that sometimes you would find Notes or Keys under them. We may still do that.

On 6.11.2018 at 4:57 AM, Stormwolf1O1 said:

I've heard a couple different people suggest that there is a super, insanely low chance that a candy bar can be found behind sun shades.

B I G  I F  T R U E ?

Hmm I've found the occasional cardboard matches or candy bar behind the shades, definitely on Stalker, most definitely in Interloper too.

Car batteries can be removed but only for placement, not picked up and put in your inventory. So it only works with the right mouse button and you won't read "car battery" on the screen. And yes, for some reason it doesn't work with pickup trucks. I tried myself yesterday.

I just realised yesterday that getting parasites disables 'rest as a resource', meaning you can sleep as much as you want, regardless of your fatigue level. 

In my particular game, this was a massive advantage and let me regain all my condition (up to the point where it's limited at the top end due to the affliction).

If I'd known this before, I'd have deliberately given myself parasites many other times!

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I discovered that you can cure pelts and gut inside the Stone Church at Desolation Point.

A wolf followed me up there so I decided to drop all my smelly stuff so I could sneak my way back to the lighthouse. Also noticed that the wolf didn’t come inside the church yard railings. Still not sure if it’s really safe from wolves there without a fire. The wolf would detect me in the church yard but never made it in. That could be because it kept being distracted by the bunnies.

1 hour ago, Czhilli said:

Last night I discovered that you can cure pelts and gut inside the Stone Church at Desolation Point.

A wolf followed me up there so I decided to drop all my smelly stuff so I could sneak my way back to the lighthouse. Also noticed that the wolf didn’t come inside the church yard railings. Still not sure if it’s really safe from wolves there without a fire. The wolf would detect me in the church yard but never made it in. That could be because it kept being distracted by the bunnies.

One of those soft inside locations, never knew that but makes sense that the church counts as one.

I noticed something similar with Quonset Garage (where the water is always free). You can safetly inbetween the pumps and the front door without bears or wolfs getting to you, those two pallets next to the door were unbroken so i don't know if those are needed or not. 

On 22. 11. 2018 at 1:16 PM, Czhilli said:

You might find it interesting that you can cure pelts even in many outdoor caves if you place them in the back of the cave. One of my top most favorite deer hunting  grounds is the Mystery Lake side of the Ravine connection region to Coastal Highway. There are often three deer and many rabbits there, no predators,  and a pretty warm outdoor cave which allows curing. I would visit there,  hunt,  drop the new pelts to cure,  and pick up the cured pelts from the previous hunt. Saves me the need to drag fresh pelts with me to the base when I still need to cure them first. 

2 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

One of my top most favorite deer hunting  grounds is the Mystery Lake side of the Ravine connection region to Coastal Highway.

I know that cave really well. I’ve spent many happy nights there and relaxed, wolf free, days hunting in it’s a environs :). It’s where I learned that you could cure in caves.

The church was interesting for me because it’s exposed and gets colder than back of caves. It’s a nice find because it’s a much safer spot to get to when carrying smelly stuff than the lighthouse, Hibernia or the Riken. With fuel for the fire barrel it’s also a much safer spot for avoiding cabin fever than the cave up the road from Hibernia which the local bear doesn’t seem to like me using.

• 2 months later...

How long have stones been in game? Well a few days ago I discovered you can scare aggroed wolves throwing stones at them (if you're hidden and you don't miss them).

I was crouching on a rock when a wolf noticed me and aggroed, but it couldn't reach me so it kept running against the base of the rock. Throwing stones near it to distract it didn't work, but when I threw one on its nose it got scared and ran away! :o I tried hitting it just for the lulz, I had no idea that could really work!!

This was just over a month ago, but a oh so important discovery. After about 100+ hours in the game I realized you could light a fire with a lit torch. I realized this while scrolling past the matches to find my fire striker and low and behold there is the torch option! All those wasted matches...

4 minutes ago, XaldinVii said:

This was just over a month ago, but a oh so important discovery. After about 100+ hours in the game I realized you could light a fire with a lit torch. I realized this while scrolling past the matches to find my fire striker and low and behold there is the torch option! All those wasted matches...

Yeah I recently discovered that all of those hand flares I have been hording could be used in place of matches if need be :)

Archived