Things about TLD you never knew and just realized

Frosty

So most of you probably know these "tricks" already, but I played for weeks before realizing that:

--you can sleep in a car by bringing up the camping radial.  I've also heard a fire outside the car will warm you (not tested) 

--you can thaw out a frozen deer with a campfire and then harvest it by hand (total game changer) Actually I have died many times because of extreme freezing while harvesting deer meat before I realized to always have a fire near while harvesting

--backing away from a wolf with a lit flare I've never had it charge me, but if I turn and run it will charge

-- you can heat up lots of canned stuff for a life saving warmth bonus.  Now I appreciate the value of all liquids you can re-heat too.  That rose hip tea is ten times more useful as a hypothermia preventer than as s pain killer.

--burnt out torches can be turned back into sticks !(haven't tried this but just read it)

--you can light a new torch from a dropped lit torch (discovered this myself and was so proud)

-- coal respawns (also just read this and haven't observed it)

--always leave your cabin crouched!  This has saved me from wolf gank repeatedly (never seen that suggested and it's my creed man)

--also with wolves if you sprint and crouch, then sprint and crouch behind a tree or break line of sight you can lose them pretty consistsntly

--a wolf that hasn't barked at me will always run from a rifle shot even if it misses and won't give a fark once it has growled 

-- starve yourself a bit before bed if you know you can sleep safely as you will regain health during sleep anyway!  Oh the calories I wasted before realizing this!

Forgive me if this is super obvious to most readers.  I've only got 278 hours in game, but reading tips like this greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the game.  Maybe this will help a noober

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Revantulet said:

I've only got 278 hours in game, but reading tips like this greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the game.

Welcome to TLD forum @Revantulet :peaches:

Great tips, I've been playing regularly since full release in August and am nearing 400 days in my current Sandbox and I am still learning new things too, such as the torch ground lighting method you mentioned. 

Btw I noticed your topic about Archery and if you want to practice there is an Archery Target at the Farm with the big Red Barn in Pleasant Valley :coffee:

On 12/31/2017 at 6:59 AM, Revantulet said:

starve yourself a bit before bed if you know you can sleep safely as you will regain health during sleep anyway!  Oh the calories I wasted before realizing this!

Two challenges you can set yourself in different long games:

- how high can you get your average calories per day stat (never starve)
- and the opposite - how low can you get this stat (extreme starvation)

On 12/31/2017 at 7:59 AM, Revantulet said:

I've also heard a fire outside the car will warm you (not tested) 

I have tested this.. it's saved my life a few times. Just be careful not to put it where you'll step in it when you exit the car!

(My preferred method is to pop the hood and build the fire on top of the engine.. the hood will help shield the fire from the wind. But make sure you wake up every hour or two to check it's still burning..)

OK Just learned this last night playing--

Your eyes adjust to darkness!

Spawned in DP into a blizzard.  Ducked into the coal mine and thought -- dang its too dark to get through this without a torch.  Was nasty outside so I wasted an hour breaking down one of crates by the door (not the best use of calories I know).

Anyway, after the sound effect finished and the little time meter thing finished I could see pretty well.  It was totally different!  I realized my eyes had adjusted to the  dark.  I was able to go through the mine and even recognize the lumps of coal on the ground with no light source.

I am amazed every time I play how deep this engine is.  Just amazing.

---------------------

Oh and in my above post I said that wolves wont be scared off by the gun after a growl...that's not true....they will be...just not after they start their final charge.

On 9/3/2017 at 4:32 PM, MrWolf said:

This also works with bears.  I recently had a bear meandering down a narrow path toward me and veered him off course by throwing some rocks.

After 600 hours in the game, today I noticed the hole in the roof of the TWM Mountaineer Hut.  No wonder it's so cold in there.

That is uncanny. I discovered this same fact this morning on a doomed interloper run. It was night and I was disorientated and looked up by accident and spotted the moonlit hole. Years ago I had heard a game developer say that if you wanted to hide something, then put it above a player's normal sight-line, because players never look up!

EDIT: I thought that this was a new post, so I guess it is not quite as uncanny as I first thought haha.

1 hour ago, Revantulet said:

Anyway, after the sound effect finished and the little time meter thing finished I could see pretty well.  It was totally different!  I realized my eyes had adjusted to the  dark.  I was able to go through the mine and even recognize the lumps of coal on the ground with no light source.

I am amazed every time I play how deep this engine is.  Just amazing.

You may find that instead of your eyes adjusting it is the cave becoming phosphorescent (?). But this seems to happen only at night. Other interior locations share this property - no need for a light source to move around at night. When morning comes it appears to be a different story. Below are two screenshots in a cave - one at midnight and the second the next morning. Both are centered on the bedroll and no light source has been used in the interim. In the midnight shot the bedroll is clearly visible but next morning it is as black as the ace of spades.

midnight_cave.thumb.png.075089515fd80c4d763b02ec1191aa0a.pngmorning_cave.thumb.png.cb1e34877c4778224772b37d0c471ada.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2017 at 5:36 PM, Mroz4k said:

Dont forget the partly opened window, with nothing but a pretty "makeshift" lid on it made of planks that most definitedly let the air through. Or the fact that the doors dont fit the doorframe well, and also has a hole in it. No wonder that location is not very windproof, I would most definitedly patch that roof up, and stuffed moss or even show in throught the holes to seal them off if I could.
And yea, good point with the bears - though I kind of expected that to be obvious, predators act alike. Just wonder, if hitting a bear with a stone counts like an attack and makes them charge. I wonder...

It would be awesome if Hinterland added more "construction" mechanics, like patching up shelter (like the Mountaineer Hut).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived