Things about TLD you never knew and just realized

Frosty

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, kurja said:

A camp fire scares wolves away;
however fire in a stove in a broken down house, does not.

R.I.P

If this is a pot belly stove, I believe those should scare wolves away as well, though maybe from shorter distance. Because that fire counts as "windproof fireplace" and I know that barrel fires which are also considered windproof fireplace do scare animals away. 

One needs to remember nothing is "certain" - I had a bear kill me while I was teasing it from behind a campfire, he just decided not to give a shit.  Fire is not a 100% sureway defense in my experience.

18 hours ago, JAFO said:

There's an archery target behind the barn in PV. Generally along with some arrows, both in the target and on the ground. The best way to practice is to get yourself set up there (in a Pilgrim game started just for this purpose) with a bow and some arrows. Before starting, save by entering the barn. Exit, and practice shooting until your arrows are all trashed. Without saving, exit the game and then reload it. You'll be back in the barn again, with the bow and all your arrows in good condition. Repeat as many times as you like.

The only tidbit I wanted to add, is I hear the arrows are NOT in the target if you play on Interloper. I hear it's the same with any deer near hunter blinds that you sometimes find with an arrow and/or a broken arrow. On Interloper they take away those arrows too. In the dam behind the metal bulkhead door that went to the lower level before the dam was remodeled there was a couple arrows in the door and on the ground. I don't think those were in Interloper either. I'm not even sure they are there now on any playthrough...I haven't looked since the dam remodel.

Are they still there?

I want to say I found arrows in a new deer....pretty sure it was Broken Railroad....there are several new dead deer on that map (new because the whole map is new), I think one had an arrow or two. I can't remember if it was the deer by the hunter blind (probably) or the deer behind the Hunter's Lodge on the pond, or on the way to the cave back there sort of near the Hunters Lodge area (maybe).

So basically on any playthrough except Interloper it's is(was?) possible to gather 8-10 arrowheads without forging any. Possibly more due to possible random loot drops when searching containers. Which is nice....it would be pretty ideal actually if you never randomly lost arrowheads....

I just realized how awesome the "Space" Button is to eat/drink something that's laying on the ground. Right now I have my little fishing hut stocked to the roof with fish and meat and instead of picking some pieces up, go to the inventory, eat one and close inventory I simply click on a fish and hit space to eat. Same with water, just have some bottles standing around at places you visit regularely and you won't need to haul water around, giving you precious weight space for other stuff.

20170910121454_1.jpg

20170910121443_1.jpg

6 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

I just realized how awesome the "Space" Button is to eat/drink something that's laying on the ground. Right now I have my little fishing hut stocked to the roof with fish and meat and instead of picking some pieces up, go to the inventory, eat one and close inventory I simply click on a fish and hit space to eat. Same with water, just have some bottles standing around at places you visit regularely and you won't need to haul water around, giving you precious weight space for other stuff.

20170910121454_1.jpg

20170910121443_1.jpg

Damn that's a lot of fish :D 

I love that too and is how I always eat before leaving the base for the day. I place the meal items on a table and eat them from off of the surface without accessing radial menu or backpack:coffee:

18 minutes ago, Kaiservadin said:

I did not know you can take out batterys and just try it right clicking and was amazed !. Maybe they will shock wolfs or something.

battery.jpg

Hopefully they do something in the future let's cross fingers on that one, it would be interesting to see what they come up with:lantern:

• 2 weeks later...

Same with fishing huts without a door... I shot one from inside and it came right in after me... Then when I came to it had gotten stuck inside with me and I had to make a hasty exit to avoid a second mauling... At least I knew where to find it the next day after I healed up and came back for it... I even did a little fishing while I waited for the fire in the stove to thaw it out.

• 2 months later...
On 06/12/2017 at 11:53 AM, Frosty said:

I didn't know you can use items dropped on the ground as a compass:oA steam user discovered and shared this a few days ago and it may just save a life during a storm or when lost at night:lantern:

downloadfile.thumb.jpeg.d43441e93da550bb2a0e8629814c8e4b.jpeg

That is cool! I wonder how long it'll take the devs to break this :D

Personally, I'd like to see a more realistic sky box. I'm not talking about the art style, I think it's great. I mean in the sense that there don't appear to be any real constellations, and that the sun and moon always rise due east. I'd really like to see the sky respond via real precession; say sandboxes always begin on Feb 2nd (halfway between winter equinox and spring solstice) and that the sun, moon, and sky move realistically because of it.

6 hours ago, stratvox said:

That is cool! I wonder how long it'll take the devs to break this :D

Personally, I'd like to see a more realistic sky box. I'm not talking about the art style, I think it's great. I mean in the sense that there don't appear to be any real constellations, and that the sun and moon always rise due east. I'd really like to see the sky respond via real precession; say sandboxes always begin on Feb 2nd (halfway between winter equinox and spring solstice) and that the sun, moon, and sky move realistically because of it.

Ya it's a nice trick that I've already used to escape a bad situation. I left the Old Spence Homestead in FM heading NW to reach the tracks leading into BR when I ran into a Bear as a thick fog rolled in, leaving me disoriented while manuvering around it :/

I was lost in the marsh with no landmarks visible to me so I dropped an arrow where the tip always indicates North and I managed to reach the tracks and enter BR safely:)

I am curious how long this has been in the game as between this forum and the Steam community there are a lot of observant players discovering and sharing stuff like this, so I am surprised it hasn't been noticed sooner.

A more realistic skybox would be great 9_9 but I would settle for them correcting the PV Sunset and Sunrise so it matches the orientation of the map. EDIT - According to new update notes this has been fixed:)

I got really turned around there my first visit until learning it wasn't accurate. I wonder if this trick will work there or noto.O

On 12/8/2017 at 10:42 AM, private duksworth said:

i found out from some one that crows flying across the world can men weather patterns. i think its about 4 crows for 4 hours till a blizzard.

It's not that precise.. all the flying crows mean is that a change in the weather is coming soon. Could be good, could be bad. And the number/direction of the crows means nothing.

3 minutes ago, JAFO said:
On 12/7/2017 at 5:42 PM, private duksworth said:

i found out from some one that crows flying across the world can men weather patterns. i think its about 4 crows for 4 hours till a blizzard.

It's not that precise.. all the flying crows mean is that a change in the weather is coming soon. Could be good, could be bad. And the number/direction of the crows means nothing.

This was first brought up several versions ago.  I have never been able to relate -  the number, appearance, placement, or any other factor of crows flying -  to any kind of weather pattern.

That being said - I would very much like to see this kind of thing implemented into the game. :)

1 minute ago, Timber Wolf said:

I really haven't been a proponent of customization, because I've played too many games that became lame after having god like abilities.

I'm guessing you meant to post this in another thread? If so, the vast majority of mods available for TLD actually make things harder/more realistic. A few are basic quality-of-life improvements, like being able to designate a default struggle weapon or harvesting tool ahead of time.

God-like ones are easily avoided.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/8/2017 at 7:37 PM, JAFO said:

I'm guessing you meant to post this in another thread? If so, the vast majority of mods available for TLD actually make things harder/more realistic. A few are basic quality-of-life improvements, like being able to designate a default struggle weapon or harvesting tool ahead of time.

Yep, that was a misfire on my part.  Anyway, since mod talk is frowned upon here, I won't continue this discussion - but I do see what you are getting at.

3 hours ago, Timber Wolf said:

Yep, that was a misfire on my part.  Anyway, since mod talk is frowned upon here, I won't continue this discussion - but I do see what you are getting at.

Yes, mod talk is frowned upon. While mods are on the list of things to eventually incorporate into the game they are not supported at present. 

Archived