Things about TLD you never knew and just realized

Frosty

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Thrasador said:

Normally no, you just move them they way you relocate any items in your house...

I did it 9_9 I don't think I used the correct button before. This was back when I was even more cluelessO.o

Another lesson learned :fire: 

Hopefully the batteries will serve a function in some form in the future 

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

I have tried this in Story and Sandbox and can't interact with it do you need tools or the pry bar ? :flaregun:

That confirms my recent experiences too.. it used to be possible to right-click on it and move it around, then place it where you wanted. But that's no longer possible. I'm guessing whatever plans Hinterland had for the battery have been shelved.

50 minutes ago, JAFO said:

That confirms my recent experiences too.. it used to be possible to right-click on it and move it around, then place it where you wanted. But that's no longer possible. I'm guessing whatever plans Hinterland had for the battery have been shelved.

I think he just said he thinks he was trying to move them with the wrong button....and I think he did move one once I told him how to move them....

They have been movable for quite some time. No one knows why they have been movable....they serve no purpose.....unfortunately.

I could see them being useful for a number of applications....including light and fire....

Also the acids inside them could also be useful....

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

That confirms my recent experiences too.. it used to be possible to right-click on it and move it around, then place it where you wanted.

It worked when I used the L2 button on ps4 which highlights objects for movement, however there is no reticle while aiming at the battery which must have confused me the first time I tried and I probably hit X button instead :/

1 hour ago, Thrasador said:

I could see them being useful for a number of applications....including light and fire....

Also the acids inside them could also be useful....

That would be cool, I woud like it to recharge the flashlight somehow during the Aurora. After being depleted on wolves it takes awhile to fully recharge and High beam drains it much faster :fire:

16 minutes ago, Frosty said:

It worked when I used the L2 button on ps4 which highlights objects for movement, however there is no reticle while aiming at the battery which must have confused me the first time I tried and I probably hit X button instead :/

Hmm.. maybe it's just borked in Story mode then. I'll have to check.. I haven't played in a week or two.. mostly been Subnautica'ing.

Here's something I just worked out: the hacksaw is insanely good. You can repair it 25% with 1 metal and quality tools. Then the quality tools can be repaired 20% with 1 metal, which equates to 10 hacksaw repairs. So a single hacksaw repair costs you 1.1 metal, or 4.4 metal from 0%>100%.

That 25% in turn equates to 5 fir limbs, or 15 fir logs, or 33hrs+ of burn time. So a single hacksaw from 100%>0% used solely for wood harvesting would mean 4.4 metal = 60 fir logs = 135hrs+ of fire for 30hrs work!* But... that's it's least efficient use.

If you use it on meat, 25% equates to 25hrs of meat harvesting. And since it takes ~1hr to harvest 4kg of meat, you get 400kg of meat from a single hacksaw from 100%>0%*. That's 400,000 calories of venison right there, i.e. 2500 per day for 160 days. From 4.4 pieces of metal. Let me repeat that: nearly half a million calories. If you have a hacksaw, you can effectively eat metal.

But it gets even better. The hacksaw cuts metal. So provided you find quality tools somewhere, and something metal to cut up, it completely pays for itself. 

Edit: oh, I nearly forgot. When it's ruined you get 2 metal back. Seriously.

Edit2: sorry, my numbers were slightly off. Also: did I mention you can use it to cut saplings too? All hail the hacksaw!

*NB:  this is based on firestarting, cooking & harvesting skills maxed out. One hour of outdoor fire burn time actually lasts 2hrs (based on starting the fire and passing time for 1hr) so it's actually more like 270hrs total. That's over 11 days!

2 hours ago, Cray said:

Here's something I just worked out: the hacksaw is insanely good. You can repair it 25% with 1 metal and quality tools. Then the quality tools can be repaired 20% with 1 metal, which equates to 10 hacksaw repairs. So a single hacksaw repair costs you 1.1 metal, or 4.4 metal from 0%>100%.

That 25% in turn equates to 5 fir limbs, or 15 fir logs, or 33hrs+ of burn time. So a single hacksaw from 100%>0% used solely for wood harvesting would mean 4.4 metal = 60 fir logs = 135hrs+ of fire for 30hrs work!* But... that's it's least efficient use.

If you use it on meat, 25% equates to 25hrs of meat harvesting. And since it takes ~1hr to harvest 4kg of meat, you get 400kg of meat from a single hacksaw from 100%>0%*. That's 400,000 calories of venison right there, i.e. 2500 per day for 160 days. From 4.4 pieces of metal. Let me repeat that: nearly half a million calories. If you have a hacksaw, you can effectively eat metal.

But it gets even better. The hacksaw cuts metal. So provided you find quality tools somewhere, and something metal to cut up, it completely pays for itself. 

Edit: oh, I nearly forgot. When it's ruined you get 2 metal back. Seriously.

Edit2: sorry, my numbers were slightly off. Also: did I mention you can use it to cut saplings too? All hail the hacksaw!

*NB:  this is based on firestarting, cooking & harvesting skills maxed out. One hour of outdoor fire burn time actually lasts 2hrs (based on starting the fire and passing time for 1hr) so it's actually more like 270hrs total. That's over 11 days!

It's also 66% the weight of a hatchet.  I usually carry a hatchet only if I plan to break down furniture or wrestle wolves.

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 0:26 PM, omoon66 said:

You just saw that hole? That was the first thing I noticed going into it :D

I guess I'm always looking down for loot when I enter a building and realized I rarely look up.  I'm introverted, even in the quiet apocalypse.

On 4. 9. 2017 at 7:34 PM, Stormwolf1O1 said:

There is an additional spot in Mystery Lake where a rifle can spawn - behind the Lonely Lake Cabin. Found it for the first time today.

Speaking of rifle spawns in Mystery Lake, only recently found out that a rifle can spawn, leaning against a wall under the bridge of the Dam. But not sure if that is still accurate - I havent been to ML since Wintermute and changes done to the Dam. Cause my damn laptop died on me :D
Also found a dead dude with a rifle in Forlorn muskeg, two of them recently, actually. One in the river to the side where the vagoons with logs are (were? Not sure since now I think that area is a connection to broken railroad, havent been there yet either), and one in a trees somewhere south of the Trappers camp. Oh, and another guy with a bow next to him, this one happened just before my "floe shelter story" I spoke of in a different thread. Also rather recently. Turned out that FM only has the rare loot happen around the corpses.

28 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

Also found a dead dude with a rifle in Forlorn muskeg, two of them recently, actually. 

I believe I found one of the rifle corpses you speak of on Toarda's FM map, across the tracks from Low blind.

Screenshot_3.png.1a0c9aa3ca09661b64dfa0dffce89513.png

(Sorry for the super low res pic, it's the lower-most icon on the map)

Not too far away from him, going towards the center but remaining a distance away from the tracks, is the bow corpse.

Screenshot_4.png.0929e35539d6d366652233e12a91fb2b.png

Yea, I never studied Toarda´s FM map, because by the time I was mostly interested in researching the FM, it was simply way to blank to help. I also decided to make it a fun and discover these things on my own through my own experience. And finally, not always are those maps entirely precise.

Actually, the bow corpse I found is not the same one, at least I dont think so - mine was not located on an ice, it was on a little island and it was closer to the Trappers camp, rather than this corpse. I found it funny... the corpse had new sneakers on, a bow and some arrows, I think three in total - one lying on the ground, two more in inventory. I could totally picture a previous player, someone from these forums, going out for a bow hunt into FM and just dying there. Heh.

1 minute ago, Mroz4k said:

mine was not located on an ice, it was on a little island and it was closer to the Trappers camp, rather than this corpse. 

"Trappers camp" really threw me off for a second there LOL. I know you mean Poacher's Camp, I gotcha, but for a second I wondered how we went from talking about FM to talking about ML

40 minutes ago, shade_grey said:

Rabbits are a good way to improve your archery quickly. They never run off with your arrow and even if you miss, it will be easier to retrieve your arrow since they aren't very tall so your arrow is less likely to end up going very far if you overshoot.

On the contrary, this is a pretty terrible idea, sorry to say.
Because the "hitbox" for rabbit is rather large, you are potentionally going to lose your arrow with it, glitching into the ground if you hit the rabbit to the side where he "drops" on. I had some arrows lost this way. Better way to improve bow hunting is to just shoot a running deer up like a pincushion. Takes a bit of skill but can be done, especially in good hunting locations with lots of trees where deer just run from tree to a tree, in chaos. Like the cross-section between ML and Coastal, my probably most favorite hunting spot of all.

Just now, Stormwolf1O1 said:

"Trappers camp" really threw me off for a second there LOL. I know you mean Poacher's Camp, I gotcha, but for a second I wondered how we went from talking about FM to talking about ML

Damn, my bad, got the callouts wrong, then. :D

I was gonna say... wait... if it is the Trappers camp... COULD IT BE THE SAME TRAPPER? 
I was totally going to go on about some illuminati backstory theory of how some trapper who lived there in ML went on an epic hunt to change the layout of the sandbox so much to have several locations named in his honor. 
Dammit. You killed my illuminati theory before it even started. :wolf:

17 minutes ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

I just practice on rabbits! :rabbit:

Yup I have too and @shade_greyshared a good tip but the arrows can be precious before reaching the forge and I kinda agree that it wastes them that way:P

And off topic I wished upon a star and wondered what it would be like to practice with a target like at the barn in PV:lantern:

That would certainly give a bored survivor something to do also ;) I would practice those distant shots with the target especially :flaregun:

49 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

Because the "hitbox" for rabbit is rather large, you are potentionally going to lose your arrow with it, glitching into the ground if you hit the rabbit to the side where he "drops" on. I had some arrows lost this way.

This used to happen in some versions... but not in the current one. If it does happen once, then you could just stop until the glitch is fixed.

I have to say though, I've lost more arrowheads to runaway wolves and dear then to rabbits, even when playing in versions where the glitch was happening.

49 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

Better way to improve bow hunting is to just shoot a running deer up like a pincushion.

This works but it requires a special hunting spot like silent clearing (CH), little island (DP), the clearing in front of Alan's cave (ML), and the area in Ravine that you mentioned where the deer seem to have trouble leaving those areas. You also need a lot of arrows (3 or more), and the presence of mind to remember where each of your arrows landed in order to avoid losing them.

This might be considered an exploit, but I found out by accident that if I hit the bear with an arrow and then run inside a building and wait a while, the arrow will be on the ground outside at the point the bear reached before I entered the building. I suppose you could use this to practice without losing arrows. Be careful though - angry bears move FAST.

8 hours ago, Frosty said:

Something I hope to realize that I didn't know in the Future: I didn't know I could craft an archery target out of materials to improve and practice my skill and the arrows decay 75% less per shot against its surface

#wishlist:)

There's an archery target behind the barn in PV. Generally along with some arrows, both in the target and on the ground. The best way to practice is to get yourself set up there (in a Pilgrim game started just for this purpose) with a bow and some arrows. Before starting, save by entering the barn. Exit, and practice shooting until your arrows are all trashed. Without saving, exit the game and then reload it. You'll be back in the barn again, with the bow and all your arrows in good condition. Repeat as many times as you like.

6 hours ago, Cray said:

This might be considered an exploit, but I found out by accident that if I hit the bear with an arrow and then run inside a building and wait a while, the arrow will be on the ground outside at the point the bear reached before I entered the building. I suppose you could use this to practice without losing arrows.

I wouldn't class it necessarily as an 'exploit', as I doubt you'll find the arrow there every time. Whether or not the arrow falls out of the bear is a matter of where you hit it, and at what angle.

What you do need to be aware of, is that there is currently a bug where if you shoot a bear (or sometimes even a deer) then go inside a 'loading screen' building, the animal will not die. The workaround is to not stay inside for more than 60 RL seconds before exiting the building again. After that, you can enter the building again, or do whatever, and the animal will bleed out and die as it should.

On 5. 9. 2017 at 7:08 AM, JAFO said:

I do believe I have heard someone somewhere say there was a plan that batteries would be useable for starting fires (I imagine only during Aurora), but that was probably just a gossip anyways.

19 hours ago, shade_grey said:

This used to happen in some versions... but not in the current one. If it does happen once, then you could just stop until the glitch is fixed.

I have to say though, I've lost more arrowheads to runaway wolves and dear then to rabbits, even when playing in versions where the glitch was happening.

Good point with the wolves. Good thing about shooting wolves is that if you bait them in with a lure, it is relatively easy to hit them in a noggin, which is an instakill, I believe.
I guess I am just insanely unlucky with the arrowing of rabbits.

Archived