A Dam Hard Challenge

Stormwolf1O1

4 hours ago, Mixxut said:

Interloper is impossible since you can't spawn on ML and finding bedroll is gonna be awful

Yep, I considered it but it I'm not sure I could even survive the trip to ML without picking up matches.  I'm actually quite impressed @RossBondReturns made it as far has he did!  Here's what you start with on Interloper, btw:

20170905043925_1.thumb.jpg.bbf6a4a4cec95fad3945e4c2a17d9fad.jpg

I started a new Interloper run yesterday (finally, I have Aurora!) and passed through the dam.  I got some tool and clothing loot.  My food loot was a single packet of beef jerky.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I started in P.V. and made it to the base of the dam...fought wolf with the pry bar and lost.

I'm doing it again right now...Mountaineers Hut...just waking up.

IMHO since the Interloper player is gonna be in such poor shape no matter when they make it to the dam...the odd of them surviving more than a day are slim.

However say the Interloper player makes it in and survives a night w/o the bedroll...then what?

Should they have to search for it in ML....or should their hours in the dam count even w/o a bedroll?

2 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

I started in P.V. and made it to the base of the dam...fought wolf with the pry bar and lost.

I'm doing it again right now...Mountaineers Hut...just waking up.

IMHO since the Interloper player is gonna be in such poor shape no matter when they make it to the dam...the odd of them surviving more than a day are slim.

However say the Interloper player makes it in and survives a night w/o the bedroll...then what?

Should they have to search for it in ML....or should their hours in the dam count even w/o a bedroll?

The only items you're allowed to have and work with during the challenge are those found within the interior of the Upper and Lower Dam, so yes it's extremely challenging to make it there in one piece on Interloper. But doing so is quite an achievement and certainly gives you bragging rights!

13 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

In case you're wondering I'm trying Interloper...and I just died on the rear doorstep of the dam...so technically the challenge never even started.

In Interloper half the challenge is just getting to the Dam.

Oh and by the way I would've had to leave the dam...anyway and check Camp Office for the bedroll because there was nothing in the Winding River Cave.

Oh well, back to it.

Oh man, you don't even start with a bedroll? Oh geez... yeah, I think the winner of the Interloper run is the person that gets closest to the dam before dying. XD

So I recorded another run...but failed to record the section INSIDE the dam!

From TWM ---> PV ---> Winding River ---> Carter Dam!

So after PMing @Stormwolf1O1 about it I'm going to post a screenshot.

And then edit what footage I have together and upload it.

For the record it gave me another TWM start and I'm at the Farmhouse in PV at 80 condition! (Blizzard outside...so taking a break to write this post and think over my options).

This is Interloper.

screen_d7badff3-66ea-457b-8683-ddc9b73499e2.png

19 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

So I recorded another run...but failed to record the section INSIDE the dam!

From TWM ---> PV ---> Winding River ---> Carter Dam!

So after PMing @Stormwolf1O1 about it I'm going to post a screenshot.

And then edit what footage I have together and upload it.

For the record it gave me another TWM start and I'm at the Farmhouse in PV at 80 condition! (Blizzard outside...so taking a break to write this post and think over my options).

This is Interloper.

screen_d7badff3-66ea-457b-8683-ddc9b73499e2.png

At least you got there! I would have never made it to ML from TWM

3 minutes ago, Mixxut said:

At least you got there! I would have never made it to ML from TWM

Since you'll never see it (forgot to restart the recording I record in 15 minute intervals) I took advantage of the lower possibility of wildlife in a blizzard.

I fired off my only flare...this would both keep me from loosing all my meager condition...but also perhaps fend off any possible wolves.

I ran as much as possible between the Cave and the Dam...but as I crossed the top of the dam my flare stopped producing enough heat...and my condition started to drop again.

I flat out got frostbite on my hands...and made it in the window with...around 10 condition...the whole of the dam video segment woulda been in 10 or less condition.

It was a brutally slow and painful death to watch.

Realizing how difficult it is to complete the challenge on Interloper, perhaps I should make it mandatory that it's done on a run where you start in Forlorn Muskeg, just to make it simpler to get to the Dam with the most possible condition. You'd be allowed to stop at Poacher's Camp/Camp Office, wherever to warm up for a bit if you'd like, and eat or drink anything you find along the way, as long as nothing is physically brought inside the Dam from the outside once you arrive. How's that sound, thoughts??

2 minutes ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

Realizing how difficult it is to complete the challenge on Interloper, perhaps I should make it mandatory that it's done on a run where you start in Forlorn Muskeg, just to make it simpler to get to the Dam with the most possible condition. You'd be allowed to stop at Poacher's Camp/Camp Office, wherever to warm up for a bit if you'd like, and eat or drink anything you find along the way, as long as nothing is physically brought inside the Dam from the outside once you arrive. How's that sound, thoughts??

Sounds good...but I don't mind mine being all the way from TWM...it's been insane...but I tend to roll with the punches.

Originally I was gonna dump all the new clothing I'd found along the way... but if I had taken the time to do that...I'd have died just outside the window ;)

The only supplies I used once I got in the dam were from inside the dam lol...water and wood.

5 minutes ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

One other thought, I'd say if they come across a bedroll at the camp office they should be allowed to use it. Otherwise Interloper attempts would be pretty short regardless. 

1 minute ago, SweetNightmare said:

One other thought, I'd say if they come across a bedroll at the camp office they should be allowed to use it. Otherwise Interloper attempts would be pretty short regardless. 

Also there are 3 other potential spawn points for the Bedroll in ML in Interloper that I have heard of:

Fishing hut near the lone cabin on the lake.

Hunters Blind (I believe the one near Trappers).

Trappers Cabin itself.

42 minutes ago, SweetNightmare said:

There may also be a bedroll at the ice fishing hut on the Lake, furthest from the Camp Office. Either spot, if a bedroll is found I'm cool with people using it on Interloper, no problem.

39 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

Also there are 3 other potential spawn points for the Bedroll in ML in Interloper that I have heard of:

Fishing hut near the lone cabin on the lake.

Hunters Blind (I believe the one near Trappers).

Trappers Cabin itself.

I may be wrong, but I think one of the Logging Camp trailers may also be a potential bedroll spawn? 

Playing this challenge on Pilgrim, on an older version of the game to see how things differ. That means Fluffy can/will spawn and be the world's most annoying room mate on harder difficulties, an interesting factor to add in. Not on this Pilgrim run though, thankfully.

Took a few pictures of what I've collected, as I had plenty of free time to organize. :)

Screenshot_10.thumb.png.cc3eb6d53965e9ed16ccd29310ca1540.png

Screenshot_11.thumb.png.42ddc40708f527b4a54e8a40d30a64b5.png

Screenshot_12.thumb.png.78ec5eb55d7d6cc88aa0be88ba766694.png

On Day 4. The food and drinks (other than a crap ton of water) is all I have left. Wish me luck! Will report on how things went as soon as I die.

Edit: No more Jerky lol.

I gave it a shot on Interloper.  I ignored everything on my journey to the dam, thinking that I can only survive on things found inside the dam.  My short life started pleasant enough, but it wasn't to last.  I spawned on a clear, calm evening at the waterfall in FM.

screen_fbc0235c-2394-466b-a218-e677ff23375f_hi.thumb.png.5be67bb738fe7412fe071bcc57670a0c.png

I sprinted as often as possible toward ML and the dam.  The aurora appeared as I neared the Camp Office and I encountered the first wolf at the derailment just past the Camp Office.  It stalked me until I climbed some rocks and inched my way down the other side.

As I neared the dam, I veered right a ways before the dam, thinking the side by the trailers would be the safest approach.  Nope.  I saw a green wolf in the distance, between the two trailers.  I doubled back and looped around to the bridge.  Luckily, no wolves were in that area and I never saw the one by the trailers again.  I slipped through the gate into the yard in front of the dam unscathed, thinking the hard part of the journey was done.  At least I had a beautiful view of the moon as I entered the dam.

screen_811bd56a-b63d-4455-b947-53585a1d43c1_hi.thumb.png.06006024bdd9671969fe0636d377d90e.png

I entered the dam with 63% condition and 65% hypothermia risk.  Unfortunately, the hypothermia won.  With the aurora, lights inside the dam made it fairly easy to see my way around.  None of the red wires were sparking in that area so I was able to move around with no problems.  In all, I found a pack of beef jerky, box of herbal tea, a box of water purifying tablets, and a storm lantern with .16L of oil.  I went upstairs to the office area and a brief few minutes with the lantern was the only time I wasn't freezing.  Then the hypothermia took hold, exhaustion set in, and that was that.  I ventured downstairs in the final minutes to find sparking red wires.  I tried to turn back and might have made it up one or two stairs before fading into the Long Dark.

screen_6f5c35d8-a151-4099-9abe-5c14f438e0c8_hi.thumb.png.6de57f458f208dbfe5b2735615392755.png

22 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I gave it a shot on Interloper.  I ignored everything on my journey to the dam, thinking that I can only survive on things found inside the dam.  My short life started pleasant enough, but it wasn't to last.  I spawned on a clear, calm evening at the waterfall in FM.

screen_fbc0235c-2394-466b-a218-e677ff23375f_hi.thumb.png.5be67bb738fe7412fe071bcc57670a0c.png

I sprinted as often as possible toward ML and the dam.  The aurora appeared as I neared the Camp Office and I encountered the first wolf at the derailment just past the Camp Office.  It stalked me until I climbed some rocks and inched my way down the other side.

As I neared the dam, I veered right a ways before the dam, thinking the side by the trailers would be the safest approach.  Nope.  I saw a green wolf in the distance, between the two trailers.  I doubled back and looped around to the bridge.  Luckily, no wolves were in that area and I never saw the one by the trailers again.  I slipped through the gate into the yard in front of the dam unscathed, thinking the hard part of the journey was done.  At least I had a beautiful view of the moon as I entered the dam.

screen_811bd56a-b63d-4455-b947-53585a1d43c1_hi.thumb.png.06006024bdd9671969fe0636d377d90e.png

I entered the dam with 63% condition and 65% hypothermia risk.  Unfortunately, the hypothermia won.  With the aurora, lights inside the dam made it fairly easy to see my way around.  None of the red wires were sparking in that area so I was able to move around with no problems.  In all, I found a pack of beef jerky, box of herbal tea, a box of water purifying tablets, and a storm lantern with .16L of oil.  I went upstairs to the office area and a brief few minutes with the lantern was the only time I wasn't freezing.  Then the hypothermia took hold, exhaustion set in, and that was that.  I ventured downstairs in the final minutes to find sparking red wires.  I tried to turn back and might have made it up one or two stairs before fading into the Long Dark.

screen_6f5c35d8-a151-4099-9abe-5c14f438e0c8_hi.thumb.png.6de57f458f208dbfe5b2735615392755.png

Quite an adventure, albeit short-lived! Interloper is certainly a challenge all by itself, let alone waiting until you reach the Dam to gather any food and supplies. 

I read, or heard somewhere that the well fed human body can survive for about 40 - 50 days without food, and if you don't exert yourself. Dying of starvation in just ten days in this game is so unrealistic, unless it was thirst you died from, which will kill you in real life in only a few days. Dying of thirst in this dam challenge shouldn't happen quickly either since you'd know that you have to boil as much water as possible within the first few fires that you can make. You can though, survive without water for up to 14 days if you are in a colder climate and you have a high body-water percentage. The more body fat you have means less body water percentage. Anyway, what I'm saying is that in this cold climate, and the fact that we begin a new game well fed and hydrated, we should be surviving a lot longer than ten days without food or water, especially considering that we wouldn't run out of food for a few of those days.

Well my latest run isn't even over.

I looked at every possible spawn location for the damn Bedroll in Mystery Lake...and the bedroll was in NONE of them.

So I will start a new attempt...talk about frustrating.

I made it to the dam just fine...for the record.

Also in the Interloper challenge you can survive off the land...locations...things...until you get to the dam.

Then you must dump everything you picked up that you haven't used before you enter the dam except for a bedroll.

Then the challenge itself starts. Survive off the stuff within the dam for as long as possible.

On interloper there's not a whole lot there too survive off .

37 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

Well my latest run isn't even over.

I looked at every possible spawn location for the damn Bedroll in Mystery Lake...and the bedroll was in NONE of them.

So I will start a new attempt...talk about frustrating.

I made it to the dam just fine...for the record.

Also in the Interloper challenge you can survive off the land...locations...things...until you get to the dam.

Then you must dump everything you picked up that you haven't used before you enter the dam except for a bedroll.

Then the challenge itself starts. Survive off the stuff within the dam for as long as possible.

On interloper there's not a whole lot there too survive off .

The bedroll spawns I know of in and around ML are camp office, the farthest fish hut (by the bear), the hunters blind near Alan's cave and the cave in Winding River.  Pretty sure every start should have a bedroll in one of those four places.

36 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

The bedroll spawns I know of in and around ML are camp office, the farthest fish hut (by the bear), the hunters blind near Alan's cave and the cave in Winding River.  Pretty sure every start should have a bedroll in one of those four places.

Oh boy...that is the hunters blind I did not check.

Tell you what I'll try and make it back from Trappers over to that other hunting blind.

I'll probably die in the process.

2 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

What the heck? I've been playing this game since 2014 and I've never seen a bedroll spawn in any ice hut or any hunter's blind. How come I never get those :|

Archived