A Dam Hard Challenge

Stormwolf1O1

With Fluffy officially being gone from the Dam, it's now able to serve as a relatively decent base again. Not being in the most optimal location and with the fire barrel being a little bit of a walk from other parts, it's easy to see why the Dam is not one of the most popular base spots in Mystery Lake. However, a thought came to my mind - how long could one last in the Dam if they went there from the very start, looted everything, and rationed their food? If the only items you're allowed to have are those from within the Upper and Lower Dam, would they be enough to survive for a decent amount of time?

Say you start the challenge using Pilgrim difficulty. There's bound to be a substantial amount of food and tools, possibly even the rifle, in the Dam. And you start out with a bedroll, so no problem there. But how about on Stalker, or even Interloper? 

I thought it would be fun to try this idea out and see just how long I can last, then describe the experience and state how long I survived until I ultimately died from something. The goal is to beat the outstanding record of the highest number of days. I will edit this post when the record is beaten to show who the current record holder is for each difficulty (because obviously, Pilgrim will be easiest so they must be separate records).

I think this will be a very fun community challenge, and will enhance our knowledge of how much and of what supplies spawn in the Dam on various difficulties. :)

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Current Records:

Pilgrim: SweetNightmare, with 34 Days

Voyager: Mixxut, with 10 Days

Stalker: Asti0, with 10 Days

Interloper: RossBondReturns, with 5 Days

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you're claiming a new record, please post a screenshot of the Journal at the end of your run as proof.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Fuarian said:

I'll try Stalker when I'm done my 2nd Story playthrough. Also, am I allowed any natural resources from the world? i.e. Cat Tails, Rosehips and Shrooms, OMB etc...?

Idk, he mentioned the rifle (meaning outside resources should be available for taking) but he also said we have to ration our food so that could mean either we cant use the rifle or outside stuff anyways or we can. Judging by him only surviving 7 days he probably meant we cant really leave the dam once we enter. But cabin fever would set in pretty quick if we didnt.

I thought i recognized your name from somewhere, you're all over the comments section of any long dark related youtube video! Unless some imposter goes by your name on there.

So Stormwolf, let me see if I've got this right!....................   We can ONLY consume food we find inside the dam! And we can only make water from melting snow inside the dam ......is that right??? And once we're in the dam, we can't leave?

And if we spawn away from the dam on Mystery Lake, you must go there immediately and not collect ANYTHING along the way, correct???

If that's right, it sounds like an interesting challenge. Just might have to give it a try! :)

8 minutes ago, cowboymrh said:

So Stormwolf, let me see if I've got this right!....................   We can ONLY consume food we find inside the dam! And we can only make water from melting snow inside the dam ......is that right??? And once we're in the dam, we can't leave?

And if we spawn away from the dam on Mystery Lake, you must go there immediately and not collect ANYTHING along the way, correct???

If that's right, it sounds like an interesting challenge. Just might have to give it a try! :)

Yep. Only stuff from dam. 

I'm assuming that if you survive long enough to get "cabin fever" you can at least go outside the front door of the dam and make a fire to sleep next to as long as you don't collect anything outside the dam, right?

I've have gone out 1 time into the front yard area of the dam to check out the "Northern Lights" ..... got some great pics!  :)

1 minute ago, cowboymrh said:

I'm assuming that if you survive long enough to get "cabin fever" you can at least go outside the front door of the dam and make a fire to sleep next to as long as you don't collect anything outside the dam, right?

I've have gone out 1 time into the front yard area of the dam to check out the "Northern Lights" ..... got some great pics!  :)

Upper dam for cabin fever. And if you get it you have to stay in dam that's the point of the challenge. And  you can't get cabin fever in your first days of survival. At least in easier difficulties.

7 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

Idk, he mentioned the rifle (meaning outside resources should be available for taking) but he also said we have to ration our food so that could mean either we cant use the rifle or outside stuff anyways or we can. Judging by him only surviving 7 days he probably meant we cant really leave the dam once we enter. But cabin fever would set in pretty quick if we didnt.

I thought i recognized your name from somewhere, you're all over the comments section of any long dark related youtube video! Unless some imposter goes by your name on there.

Yes, I am everywhere. :)

8 hours ago, MarrowStone said:

I found 9 rifle bullets in the Dam on Voyager. No rifle. :( And yes, Cabin Fever is definitely an issue on higher difficulties. Maybe I should alter the rules a bit...

18 minutes ago, WanderingPalm said:

This sounds like a fun challenge. I wonder how the Aurora figures into people's survival times? When I do it, I'll be sure to note how many Auroras I experienced, too.

I'd surely be the idiot who accidentally burns to death early on by stepping on a live electric wire. :P

21 minutes ago, WanderingPalm said:

This sounds like a fun challenge. I wonder how the Aurora figures into people's survival times? When I do it, I'll be sure to note how many Auroras I experienced, too.

I had aurora every night. It almost killed me once.

Archived