"Dumpster" Diving Hobo Stew!

CitrinePeridot

Maybe it's just games that feature perpetual cold weather, but I start getting cozy, warm clothing along with stew in my head. LOL

With temperatures at or below freezing, many things will remain preserved pretty good. Why not include the option (especially at like the lake houses) for gathering the ingredients from bottom cupboards, under the sink, etc. to make some "Hobo Stew"? What would it be like to find a few, select potatoes, carrots, and the like and combine them with a soup bone left in frig? A stew pot could be snatched up and taken to one of the houses that have a fireplace. I don't know what it is, but the idea of throwing together "findings" into a nice, warm, rich stew just appeals to me. (This isn't a commercial. LOL) So, how about it? A dumpster diving hobo stew option?

I love this idea!  Despite the fact that raw potatoes and carrots don't actually like being frozen and don't keep well that way, the interior temps of most buildings are just high enough to prevent them from being ruined.  This is a great suggestion!

Great idea, cold weather always makes me think of Brown stew and hot spuds.

It could also make a great mini side quest in story mode. Have one of the NPC Manning a Perpetual stew pot.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_stew

perpetual stew, also known as hunter's pot[1][2] or hunter's stew, is a pot into which whatever one can find is placed and cooked. The pot is never or rarely emptied all the way, and ingredients and liquid are replenished as necessary.

So long as you can keep putting ingredients like raw meat / Can Meat, mushrooms and water in the stew pot every day, Your character would get a warm meal (providing a greater number of calories) and the warm bonus associated with it. As well as the heat from the cooking fire. In addition to trust points with the NPC to further expand on the story.

It would be a way of making use of the offal from deer and rabbits. Imagine all those calories going to waste in the snow.

1 hour ago, Amon Triskel said:

It could also make a great mini side quest in story mode. Have one of the NPC Manning a Perpetual stew pot.

So long as you can keep putting ingredients like raw meat / Can Meat, mushrooms and water in the stew pot every day, Your character would get a warm meal (providing a greater number of calories) and the warm bonus associated with it. As well as the heat from the cooking fire. In addition to trust points with the NPC to further expand on the story.

It would be a way of making use of the offal from deer and rabbits. Imagine all those calories going to waste in the snow.

I have not yet tried the story mode. I came late in the game on this, and I am currently finding my way(s) in the survival mode under the easiest setting. The wheel thing, controls, etc. are all things I wish to acquaint myself with. At any rate, now THAT sounds like a wonderful idea! Wouldn't that be cool?  :-)  To "come home" to a nice, hot stew after a long day of being chased by wolves & such? Or, the feeling of being able to contribute to that perpetual pot? Looked at your link. Don't claim to know what that large piece was floating on the top there. Literally sat back looking at that, & decided maybe it's best not to know. LOL  ;-)  For those in story mode, that sounds quite beneficial. Thank you.

I am not familiar with this forum format. So, I apologize in advance that I have as of yet given any (?) rep or what have you. If someone could please tell me how to go about doing that, there are several I've already read that I would wish to do that on/with. Thank you again.

@CitrinePeridot  You simply click on the little green arrow in the bottom right of each post to "rep" for that post. It goes to the person who posted it. If you change your mind, simply click the red arrow that it changes to.  Welcome to the game and the community. :) 

P.S.  In the case of Hunter Stew or as the old woodsmen around here used to call it "good luck soup",  (sarcasm at it's finest) It's best to not question the origin of things in it. It's best to not question it at all.  It's also usually advisable to avoid it altogether on really cold nights. In the old days, and even in modern times at hunting/fishing camps, the only facilities are outhouses, and spending half of a freezing november night running to the outhouse and sitting on ice cold planks is not fun.....

14 minutes ago, CitrinePeridot said:

I have not yet tried the story mode. I came late in the game on this, and I am currently finding my way(s) in the survival mode under the easiest setting. The wheel thing, controls, etc. are all things I wish to acquaint myself with. At any rate, now THAT sounds like a wonderful idea! Wouldn't that be cool?  :-)  To "come home" to a nice, hot stew after a long day of being chased by wolves & such? Or, the feeling of being able to contribute to that perpetual pot? Looked at your link. Don't claim to know what that large piece was floating on the top there. Literally sat back looking at that, & decided maybe it's best not to know. LOL  ;-)  For those in story mode, that sounds quite beneficial. Thank you.

I am not familiar with this forum format. So, I apologize in advance that I have as of yet given any (?) rep or what have you. If someone could please tell me how to go about doing that, there are several I've already read that I would wish to do that on/with. Thank you again.

Do yourself a HUGE HUGE favor.... right now.   Stop playing survival, and go and enjoy the story mode.  Most of the complaints about it so far have been from folks that already experienced in the game. The first two chapters are tailored specifically to learning the game, and I suspect are much more enjoyable for a newcomer.  Those first couple chapters are designed to introduce you to the cruel new world and how to survive in it. 

Thank you. I have had the free version of the sandbox that featured only two locations possible for a little less than 6 months, and I have loved it. So much has been added to this game since that version, I am simply not confident enough to do that just yet. LOL For one, the controls are quite different. I do intend to try the story mode, Troy.  :-)  In fact, I look forward to it. Yet, even in the version I had, I was at the easiest setting to acquaint myself with the game. As for any complaints, well, I have my own opinion as to this game which doesn't leave much room for those who step outside of constructive feedback into other realms of feedback. ;-)  

2 hours ago, Amon Triskel said:

I have been wondering though how a perpetual stew would work in sandbox mode. In story mode, Gray Mothers house sets up the precedence for a perpetually burning fire. since it is to be assumed that Grey Mother keeps the fire stoked. 

In sandbox mode, this would be quite difficult and quite heavy on fuel to have to keep the fire burning round the clock. It could quite possibly be done if You had a stew/soup pot that you may have to find or craft. The stew inside it could be allowed to cool and then be reheated when you had more ingredients to add. But if you let it go cold for too long it would spoil. Potentially costing you hundreds of calories worth of food. 

What do you guys think ??

I have this thought in regard to that: In the story mode, a perpetual stew would work. So, it could be set up to be "perpetual". However, in the survival mode, perhaps a small pan/pot could be utilized for a one-time serving of the "findings". Would this work? Also, with those ingredients being light in weight, one could have some (?) option to add them to that pan/pot at a later time? 

Sadly, sandbox is a bit of an issue for this idea. As with most idea's,  it's easier said than done.  A real woodfire can be kept going for a long time with very little wood, and the bed of coals stays hot enough to keep a stewpot simmering for a loooong time, and hot enough to rekindle the fire without building a new one for a loooong time. But, not with the wood we have available in the game. It requires good seasoned hardwood to accomplish this. green cedar and fir arent well suited for it.  They are hot and fast burning woods.

Without getting into that level of realism in the game, it ought to be easy enough to add an option to the woodstoves so that we could maintain a "minimum" fire in them for far less wood than normal.   Reduced heat output, no water boiling, but maintaining for 2 or 3 times longer than normal for the wood. Of course, this then crops up the next problem: the 12 hour burn maximum.   This minimum burn fire would need to have its maximum burn time extended to at least 24 hours.

I'm not intending for it to be "perpetual" in the survival mode to begin with. Hobo stew would be a per serving, one time meal. Whenever one decides to add the ingredients to the pan/pot, the result would be a one-time meal. A perpetual pot was suggested by another primarily for the story mode. (Please read above.) So, keeping a fire going was never my intention. 

2 hours ago, CitrinePeridot said:

I'm not intending for it to be "perpetual" in the survival mode to begin with. Hobo stew would be a per serving, one time meal. Whenever one decides to add the ingredients to the pan/pot, the result would be a one-time meal. A perpetual pot was suggested by another primarily for the story mode. (Please read above.) So, keeping a fire going was never my intention. 

I could definitely see something like that coming in future updates. Since the dev's are planning on bringing in season somewhere down the line. They are going to have to introduce other methods of cooking to take advantage of seasonal wild veg. So with that, I expect a follow on will be dried goods such as rice, seasonings, stock cubes etc left over in abandoned in kitchens. Perfect for making Hobo Stew.

Its the quiet apocalypse, when the lights went out and the long dark descends, I very much doubt those that fled had any interest in taking rosemary and sage.

Archived