So is general development for the game over at this point?

Thrasador

Like I understand the last three episodes are still going to be released, but are regular updates now over for the base game?

Is there still hope of getting more clothes to craft, like a hat for instance? Or a sled to move our gear between bases? Or flint, or any other tools? Are we still getting a bullet press? Bow fire starting? Seasons? Moose?

If none of those things are very likely to be added at this point, will the community get modding tools at least, so we can add some or all of those things on our own time?

Not trying to piss off the devs, I'm merely curious if the game is pretty much finished now and is "as is" or if work is still planned for the future.

Also, sorry if this was already asked and answered. I forgot what the answer was if so....

Hey @Thrasador:painkillers:There is a topic in News and Updates titled below which touches on the subject if you haven't seen it yet. Raphael states that he will be playing his cards close to his chest for the time being in regards to releasing news about future development too so we could be waiting awhile for any updates directed at the community in general :toque:

"Video Interview with Gamasutra: Raphael van Lierop of The Long Dark talks surviving a rough launch"

I couldn't listen to anything past 15 minutes. When Raph started talking about the disappointment of players because they had different ideas then he did in their head, I simply could not listen to it.

It is clear that he hasn't reconciled the team's decisions or found it worthy of himself to take responsibility for the fact that Hinterland laid out a roadmap and then decided to take a different path, revamping the UI, delivering only some of those roadmap items, that were already in the works, and launching on another platform while delaying again the story mode. Generally what disappointed the bulk of those disappointed wasn't the countdown, though that certainly did upset a subset of the community who's patience was already stretched past the limit by the on-time delivery delays, but more so the rehash of changes which were already optimum and made less optimum. 

This is what that roadmap was... http://www.dualshockers.com/hinterland-sets-a-long-term-roadmap-for-the-long-dark-support/

Discussion on the fabled roadmap. https://steamcommunity.com/app/305620/discussions/0/133259227517215604/

Here is proof that it actually existed since evidently they don't believe it should live in infamy on the site. 

The fact that they took this down from the Hinterland site is also disappointing. Like it never happened.

The mis-direction and mis-characterization of that disappointment is equally unfortunate. At this point being a strong supporter of the game, continuing to be a supporter, I have no illusions that the creative direction is going to stick to what they originally promised or suggested was their aim, or that they will be capable of understanding why not delivering what they declare or suggest they are declaring will create difficulty with those who also support the game. 

It is frustrating when the founder and creative director who is responsible for the game, and due respect without him the project would not have been done by Hinterland and may not have been done by another developer, tries to "spin" the response to his, theirs, and team decision's to abandon that roadmap and then pretend like the late stage ideas never existed and were never shared with the community in an effort to drive sales and support for their development which clearly did not stick to said roadmap. 

Beyond this we have example after example of where the same director assigns blame of the situation on the "internet community" as a whole or certain places on the internet which provide feedback and helped make the game better without any credit on the "credits" of the project, and without taking responsibility for that. 

So please, enjoy the game as it is, but don't expect them to deliver on the promises made, or actually follow through on anything they have suggested they are going to do because if it isn't a new revenue stream or a new product line or spin-off read (BIG CANADIAN DOLLAR SIGNS) it not likely to really happen. 

"Now, they need to rest.

To that extent, the entire team will be taking September off to recuperate. We’ll have some minimal community and test support in place during this time, but right now I need the team to recover their stamina and fire for these new challenges ahead. In October, we’ll continue our work on The Long Dark — Episode Three, Survival Mode, and whatever the future holds for the Quiet Apocalypse.

Until then, we hope that the love we’ve poured into the game over the years, and your love for it while it was in Early Access/Game Preview, still shines through, despite an imperfect launch, and that you continue to enjoy and believe in The Long Dark, as I do.

Sincerely,

Raphael"

Ok, but you are going to finish patching Wintermute first before you take your break right?

The flare cache and elevator at the end of Episode 2 are still broken.....

Guys? Hello?

(Did they go on break already?)

14 hours ago, Thrasador said:

Like I understand the last three episodes are still going to be released, but are regular updates now over for the base game?

Is there still hope of getting more clothes to craft, like a hat for instance? Or a sled to move our gear between bases? Or flint, or any other tools? Are we still getting a bullet press? Bow fire starting? Seasons? Moose?

If none of those things are very likely to be added at this point, will the community get modding tools at least, so we can add some or all of those things on our own time?

Not trying to piss off the devs, I'm merely curious if the game is pretty much finished now and is "as is" or if work is still planned for the future.

Also, sorry if this was already asked and answered. I forgot what the answer was if so....

Quoting from the just-published new Dev Diary:

It’s also time for us to get back to Survival Mode. We still have a lot of things we’d like to add — more regions, more wildlife, new and improved survival mechanics, modding support, etc. This means going back to our old balancing act between Story and Survival, and where to put our resources.

Looks like there's lots more goodies coming for Survival Mode..

Archived