The Long Dark Original Soundtrack Now Available

Admin

OST_image_2.png.4029ebd36bb219387d4b6af1d149e9bb.png

Hello all,
We've released the soundtrack for Survival Mode and Episodes One and Two of The Long Dark.

Find it on Steam as DLC for the game, or

Get the Soundtrack on Bandcamp.

---

Original score for The Long Dark. Music for The Long Dark - Volume One, features 100 minutes of music composed by Cris Velasco (Mass Effect, God of War, Overwatch, Resident Evil 7, etc.) and Sascha Dikiciyan (Borderlands, Quake III, Mass Effect).
Volume One includes the entire soundtrack for WINTERMUTE Episode One: "Do Not Go Gentle", and Episode Two: "Luminance Fugue", as well as all the ambient exploration music from Survival Mode.

Total Volume One Run Time: 100 minutes (1 hour, 40 minutes)

---

The direct link to the Soundtrack's Steam Store page is here:  
http://store.steampowered.com/app/690180/Music_for_The_Long_Dark__Volume_One

The direct link to the Soundtrack on Bandcamp is
https://hinterlandstudio.bandcamp.com/album/music-for-the-long-dark-volume-one

We hope you enjoy it!

- The Hinterland Team

• Upvote 5

Yes, sure i enjoy -- but ... does this mean, that there will be no physical release of the soundtrack? No jewel-case and a nice booklet to put in the CD shelf? In an early announcement it sounded like you are planning to release a physical release as well, but of course i could have misinterpreted the announcement ...

• Upvote 2

Already purchased. Thank you.

My favourite musics :

- "You see things others would miss" (Do not go Gentle): I always cry.

- "The past" (Wintermute A and E)

- "Memories" (Wintermute) A and E

- ''Echoes" (Wintermute A and E)

- "Tomorrow'' (Survival)

- ''Trepidation'' (Survival)

- "Travel" (Survival).

- and of course ''Beginnings" (Survival). It's becomes a cult now.

However I don't find the music from the end credits of Wintermute episodes.  And I don't find the music from the trailer called '"echoes'' (

).

Edited by Vinceofpyrenees

Is there really NO physical release? I don't want to complain, i want to buy it. But for this game, that is full of art and that has so many lovely aspects, especially in the world design, i really expected that there will be a physical release. Digital feels like some kind of drossiness, because you can't touch it, can't see it in the shelf, can't show it around, can't getting delight by the artwork of the CD, ... It's just a file on my computer like everything else and i would look forward to get a real CD from the The Long Dark Soundtrack.

Maybe you can release the complete Soundtrack when the Story Mode is finished?

Edited by Karl Grylls
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Karl Grylls said:

Is there really NO physical release? I don't want to complain, i want to buy it. But for this game, that is full of art and that has so many lovely aspects, especially in the world design, i really expected that there will be a physical release. Digital feels like some kind of drossiness, because you can't touch it, can't see it in the shelf, can't show it around, can't getting delight by the artwork of the CD, ... It's just a file on my computer like everything else and i would look forward to get a real CD from the The Long Dark Soundtrack.

Exactly why i would like to have a CD as well. They could release it as limited edition maybe 150 or 200 copies, not so much to be a collectors item, but to keep the risk low ... really hope that we get at least an official statement regarding this.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, aurora said:

Exactly why i would like to have a CD as well. They could release it as limited edition maybe 150 or 200 copies, not so much to be a collectors item, but to keep the risk low ... really hope that we get at least an official statement regarding this.

Yes, i agree. I find my suggestion to release the complete soundtrack on one CD after Story Mode is complete quite good. When there are enough who would buy it, then they should release it. But that depends on how many will buy the digital soundtrack and if there are enough people who are interested in having a physical copy. For the last point, there could be a poll, so the developers can measure if it's worth it or not. The users could do it as well, but in my opinion it has a much better value when the dev's do it. And when they (maybe) say in this poll that they - depending on the result - will see if they can bring a hard copy on the market, it would have a much more stronger effect.

For now, i wouldn't buy the digital copy, because i am afraid that after i have bought it, there will come a physical copy as well. So i would have wasted some money. But when they clearly say that there will no physical copy, i have to buy the digital one.

Edited by Karl Grylls

There's no physical media copies of the game or soundtrack at this time, but it's something we've talked about and would like to look into in the future if we can.

Thank you everyone who mentioned it, it's helpful to know that we have community members who are interested! :coffee:

• Upvote 5
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mel Guille said:

Thank you everyone who mentioned it, it's helpful to know that we have community members who are interested! :coffee:

Just like the old clothing in the Hinterland Store ;):D

Thank you for answering, i will wait then until there is a hard copy, as well as for the clothing. And for the coffe cup in the pre-wintermute style :)

Edited by Karl Grylls
  • Upvote 1

Hype! This is so cool! :D

One question for backers: will Steam be the only option to redeem the sound tracks through Humble Bundle? I don't use Steam so it's something I'm wondering about.

I would definitely buy the soundtracks (a second time) if there's a physical release or a flac release on Bandcamp. :D

• Hinterland
5 hours ago, brad_gagne said:

Ok stupid question but... how do I actually find or listen to the soundtrack once it's downloaded in Steam??  Not seeing anything new in AppData/Local/Hinterland/TheLongDark

Look in your Library, where you would normally fine Games, Software, etc. There is a Music category. Once you've bought the Soundtrack DLC, you should find it there.

No dice.  I ordered it a long time ago through Humble Bundle, does that change things?  I followed the instructions, entered my code, and when I go to The Long Dark it shows the DLC as installed (see screenshot attached), but when I go to Library>Music it's empty.

Soundtrack installed.png

11 hours ago, brad_gagne said:

No dice.  I ordered it a long time ago through Humble Bundle, does that change things?  I followed the instructions, entered my code, and when I go to The Long Dark it shows the DLC as installed (see screenshot attached), but when I go to Library>Music it's empty.

Soundtrack installed.png

You'll want to go to Steam Settings>Music and then rescan your game files. This should get the music to show up in your Library under "Music" - the tracks will be listed under "WINTERMUTE", so keep an eye out for that. 

4 hours ago, Peter Pan Pan said:

I have TLD on the Xbox. Steam won't let me purchase as I don't own the Steam version. Please please can you find a way for us Xbox players to buy this music  -thank you. I am waiting here with my money!

@liam We're working to make the Soundtrack available on iTunes as well - we'll be sure to let everyone one know when it goes live on that platform. :coffee:

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Patrick Carlson said:

You'll want to go to Steam Settings>Music and then rescan your game files. This should get the music to show up in your Library under "Music" - the tracks will be listed under "WINTERMUTE", so keep an eye out for that. 

@liam We're working to make the Soundtrack available on iTunes as well - we'll be sure to let everyone one know when it goes live on that platform. :coffee:

Please do not forget GOG users :) Thanks! Would love to buy the soundtrack there.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Hey @Blinkin - as a Backer, did you receive/redeem a Steam version of the game? I know you play on GOG typically.

Right now Steam keys (via Humble Bundle) are the channel for delivering the Official Soundtrack to Kickstarter backers. 

Hey Patrick. Yes I did but it has been swapped with a GOG key as soon as the DRM free version came out on GOG.
I've checked my old email conversations about it (9 march 2016) and the original Steam key has been revoked a few days after I claimed the GOG key.
Since it has been released on Steam as a DLC this might be a problem.

But at the other side I'm willing to buy the soundtracks 'again' (backing is not buying but you'll get the idea haha) if they'll get released on other platforms like Bandcamp. So it shouldn't be a problem, at least not for me. :) I can wait, it's worth it. :D

7 hours ago, Patrick Carlson said:

Thank you!! This did the trick.

Glad to hear that there is an ITunes release planned. Will definitely be checking here and the store regularly. I'm also homestly amazed that the game has 1:40:00 of music; it's amazing how much work you guys put into this game for the soundtrack which is longer than lots of games and for the gameplay is not a central or obvious feature most of the time. 

Great job Hinterland.