Faithful Cartographer - Seeking Expert Aid

Arzanot

faithful_cartographer.png.48305e5c9b0a1e8af39f86d389838e5d.png

I realize there is already one, if not several threads regarding this particular painful achievement.
This requires  a new thread though, because it's alot of information, and I've run out of research and cross referencing to solve this on my own.

I started a Voyager run to complete achievements and to farm for the 6 badges.
My current stats with every possible mapping done ingame:
stats_current_sandbox.png.0615f3775b53b42ae34da295c90ffc75.png

The final location I found was Abandoned Camp in Forlorn Muskeg, near Low Blind, but alas, no achievement triggered upon finding it.
All named locations don't necessarily recieve their name on the zoomed out map, but rather a larger icon that always shows, so it's hard to determine if that could be a factor.

I'm seeking some fresh eyes to potentially spot the missing locations, although I assume Milton is included in this somehow, and therefor isn't achieveable. Much like the flare cache still isn't fixed.

The following are my mappings of the individual zones. They're put in spoiler tags, because they are very thorough, and spoilers should never be forced.

Broken Railroad (starting point)

BR.png.d9ea6f9f5f0404a7b660bc0620bf5987.png

Forlorn Muskeg

FM.thumb.jpg.ec59930185950756234403322792d3f6.jpg

Mystery Lake

ML.thumb.jpg.8ce250c94cfa8a23b39184e210af84e2.jpg

Ravine

RA.png.6fea877e8af994e459bf43bb347db45c.png

Winding River

WR.png.445b256bce627eef209b22448bd0805e.png

Pleasant Valley

PV.thumb.png.f783e81f87627325722be4b4ad6237c8.png

Timberwolf Mountain

TM.thumb.jpg.6cafbcf4a4a9fc70bb9cdd1bf0aa6dbf.jpg

Coastal Highway

CH.png.2ab45c3e6875d88367dd56e7676b16a2.png

Crumbling Highway

CrumH.png.f9786d294e51174b79c2df86bd2248a4.png

Desolation Point

DP.png.5f53a506d88df037fc69ae00327acfb0.png

Zoomed in maps for each section, as I've mapped them out. You can zoom with little to no detail loss. Some names may be hard to read, but that's simply what it looks like ingame. Mapping is still a very new feature, so it will likely be improved later.
If you notice anything missing, please let me know. I have submitted all this to Hinterland aswell.  [Awaiting a response].

Broken Railroad (start)

BR.thumb.png.f320fd6833fb92bc64157ef5deba7255.png

Forlorn Muskeg

FM.thumb.png.3cb519694aadecf301c804e61a3fe078.png

Mystery Lake

ML.thumb.png.4ac0ab4f6f51bc90eee965c1dfd76d38.png

Ravine

RA.thumb.png.4f4187f2545f33aea0d34f2e65df6f9f.png

Winding River

WR.thumb.png.aa7f064a8197e7115113bf2266a2eaf4.png

Pleasant Valley

PV.thumb.png.ed496a948f3452ac1c5cb9d7c01a3a84.png

Timberwolf Mountain

TM.thumb.png.b1688c60a0cb36549f9fb5c35b6cdf93.png

Coastal Highway

CH.thumb.png.ec4534438a28ca82fbe34250a923a333.png

Crumbling Highway

CrumH.thumb.png.16981f5bfab8f38d4a15fdaa3eac2b33.png

Desolation Point

DP.thumb.png.b88ee2b336a81605370827c53d290d43.png

I know this isnt what you want to hear, as it would require basically going back through every single location, but it is my belief, from observations in game, that when you do the survey, if you are not standing right where the "trigger" for bring the location name on screen, or discovering it, if you will, the game doesnt give you credit for mapping that location.  I cannot prove this, but it has been my experience that IF you are standing IN THAT SPOT, you get a much larger and more detailed entry on the map than if you are simply close by, or if the spot is merely in your view.  I havent gotten this achievement yet, and likely won;t be working on it for some time, but I have gone over your maps, and you clearly have been very diligent in getting every single square inch mapped, but the devil is in the details in this case I believe. 

@Arzanot amazing job with the mapping.  I don't know the solution to your problem, but I have something you can try.  It's possible to get on top of Alan's Cave in ML by walking up the rocks.  When on top, you still see the Alan's Cave location text. 

Follow the rock wall south from Alan's Cave to the point it starts to bend W to the creek.  Should be easy to spot the way up on to the rocks.

@TROY - I'll check out a few locations, thx for the tip. I'll post back if it actually adds names to my map.
@TROY - Update. Tried out about 10 locations, that have their own icon on the minimap, but no name added on the map. Stood in the exact spot(s) that trigger the location title on the left top of the screen. To no avail I'm afraid. Didn't further progress my mapping.

@Ruruwawa - That black spot on the map near Alan's Cave has been hurting my OCD soul :) Thx for the tip!
@Ruruwawa - Update. Atleast Alan's Cave stands clearer on the map now.

There's an area straight up the mountain from 'Clearcut'. It's called 'Lookout'.
I've pondered over what locations actually get names on the map, and it seems to depend on the area around the location.
a) Are there other named locations close by, that could interfere with this locations name, were it name-mapped.
b) Will an Icon interfere with the named location when not zooming in.

'Lookout' sits in a spot that has zero interference, yet I can not map it with a name.

Has anyone out there got a mapping where 'Lookout' actually shows on the map?
It's around this area.

lookout.png.b38c648594d12f102b2ebaf61e80494e.png

Lookout is a named location. Not all locations with names show their names on the map, and not all locations that seem prominent on the map are actually named. Like the Riken for instance.  You never actually "discover" it, for mapping purposes

You know, I missed this originally, but I popped in here tonight to cross reference your maps to my own, and I noticed something. You "world explored" is kinda low. Even considering that there is no way to hit 100% unless you are out of this universe lucky (as burned down buildings that you cant discover by entering count against the total) you should be in the mid 90's, at least.  Now, this may only mean there are places that you didn't "enter" to discover. Or, it may mean you've missed some locations despite having opened up the entire map.  This brings us back to my theory of where you are actually standing when you make the map being important. I don't know. I've inspected your maps, and nothing pops out at me. It may simply be that this achievement is bugged, as according to steam, no one has earned it yet.  Of course, steam doesnt speak for other platforms but its a good indicator as the most experienced players are pc, by and large.

Kinda lost interest. I've double checked the maps, and entered any place I could find, using the combined knowledge of TLD players.
Zero new locations in or outdoor.
The 500 day achievement seems like a huge waste of time, having hoarded everything to the farmhouse in Pleasant Valley.
It's a shame that the game doesn't age well past 120+ days.

The reality of an eventual fix is likely NOT going to be retroactive, so I'd have to start from scratch and map everything again. If it then turns out to be like the "Flare Cache fix" patch, I would not survive that :).

Awaiting a more polished game and the continuation of Wintermute instead.

5 hours ago, Hotzn said:

Isn't Draft Dodger's Cabin a named location? Can't see it anywhere on the maps. Or am I looking in the wrong spot?

Yes, it is.. should be between Skeeter's Ridge and the river. But it's not showing up, even on the zoomed-in map.

5 hours ago, JAFO said:

Yes, it is.. should be between Skeeter's Ridge and the river. But it's not showing up, even on the zoomed-in map.

That cabin doesn't figure on the map. It's just a discovered location, atleast the 5 times I've mapped it.
The location discovery doesn't trigger untill you go indoors.

20 minutes ago, Arzanot said:

That cabin doesn't figure on the map. It's just a discovered location, atleast the 5 times I've mapped it.
The location discovery doesn't trigger untill you go indoors.

So you're saying it doesn't count as a "named location"?

Ok then.. but I can see why people are so confused.. particularly as to what counts for purposes of gaining the achievement.

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

So you're saying it doesn't count as a "named location"?

Ok then.. but I can see why people are so confused.. particularly as to what counts for purposes of gaining the achievement.

My guess is as good as yours, I can only relay the information I've found.
It's 100% a discovered location.
It 100% doesn't show on the map.
I'm 100% sure I have no clue if it counts as a named location :)

I'm 99,9% sure I have all named locations mapped.

Keep providing fresh insight, it's always appreciated.

We'll have to wait till October, when the devs get back in action, and we probably get some achievement patches.

• 2 months later...

Archived