Where in the world is Will?

Carbon

6 minutes ago, TheHunter280 said:

@Mroz4k 

Résultat de recherche d'images pour "you goddamn right"

Most accurate precision of a spot I've seen in my life, You are up for the next one

Thank you for the kind words, I am actually quite surprised myself that I got it well. Like I said, Coastal Highway is my probably least memorized of all the regions, including the newer ones like Forlorn Muskeg which I saw through and through. Not including Broken railroad map which I have never seen before due to the fact my PC died after Wintermute launched. :|

Currently reliving my nostalgia, playing the old versions of the game.

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I assume you have the Good Old Games version of Long Dark then? Sadly, Steam doesn't allow play of previous versions :( 

Also, if your screencap is from a prior version, make sure it's in the picture's description as a hint. You don't want it to be too hard ;) 

2 hours ago, cekivi said:

If folks are running short on screenshots you can always up the difficulty by allowing captures from previous game versions. There's more than a few places that don't exist anymore ;) 

Really? What are some examples? I play 3 different versions of the game and haven't seen many geographical differences in terms of places being removed. The Ravine has been vastly expanded since early alpha, but what else is there?

7 hours ago, cekivi said:

So I assume you have the Good Old Games version of Long Dark then? Sadly, Steam doesn't allow play of previous versions :( 

Also, if your screencap is from a prior version, make sure it's in the picture's description as a hint. You don't want it to be too hard ;) 

Nope. :D This particular one comes from my personal collection of screenshots I took in 2015. :D that is the fun, it is not from my Nostalgia version of the game.

I am going to give a hint, but I don't think its necessary to say its old version of the game or not because if you compare the screenshot by eye to a current one, you can see the clear difference in the graphics. Giving a hint because it is already hard enough with the hint in place.

And thanks, @Timber Wolf , this will be most helpful in the future! I will need the old versions of the game for a special project.

6 hours ago, Stormwolf1O1 said:

Really? What are some examples? I play 3 different versions of the game and haven't seen many geographical differences in terms of places being removed. The Ravine has been vastly expanded since early alpha, but what else is there?

The terrain did change quite a lot, actually. For starters, Mystery Lake had some major remodelling - the surrounding areas around derailment, the train track area between the derailment and the Dam, the river entrance to Mystery Lake, the areas which now have ropes, etc.

Here comes an easy one, one of my current favourite screenshots of the game. I took this last night in the nostalgia version of the game I am playing atm, from 2014.

trapper.thumb.png.c9c53217d8609f8276e617a35e0f027d.png

But I know there is a way I can take even better one, will try to do it tonight. There is a point around 4 AM in the morning when the sky goes into this cool green tone, which almost feels like the aurora.  You can see it quite well on this screenshot.

clpd.thumb.png.fde2fb3f535c93e5eb7fb2699858d31d.png

Love how intense and dark the nights used to be in the early versions. Truly difficult to navigate in.

On Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 9:00 PM, Carbon said:

The shots can be challenging, but not impossible, so a shot of a rock face at 2 centimeters isn't cool. Additionally, shots should be from survival mode, not story.

Some Peeps playing this game obviously need a reminder of the rules:S

On Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 9:00 PM, Carbon said:

This kind of thread has the benefit of increasing map knowledge as well as just – IMO at least – being fun and enduring.

It was fun for a week then like most threads of this type on forums it became a competition to 'stump' everyone else.

Kind of hard to increase your map knowledge with pics of the sky with a tree branch in the corner of the screen or ones of absolute darkness  O.o

"Now here's an easy one" 

6cfed3534dfee2fc895936c3ed5ae185_anna-wintour-gif-pandawhale-eye-roll-meme-gif_500-241.gif.40896fa508b71b91bdc973dc10c6bbdb.gif

8 hours ago, cekivi said:

@Stormwolf1O1: Most of the regions were tweaked when rope climbing was added with terrain being changed to allow for use of the mechanic. Pleasant Valley was one of the obvious places where this occurred. There's also a structure that was in the alpha that is no longer present in the launched game ;) 

The original Lookout in ML, right?

On 10/7/2017 at 2:37 AM, Mroz4k said:

Here comes an easy one, one of my current favourite screenshots of the game. I took this last night in the nostalgia version of the game I am playing atm, from 2014.

trapper.thumb.png.c9c53217d8609f8276e617a35e0f027d.png

But I know there is a way I can take even better one, will try to do it tonight. There is a point around 4 AM in the morning when the sky goes into this cool green tone, which almost feels like the aurora.  You can see it quite well on this screenshot.

clpd.thumb.png.fde2fb3f535c93e5eb7fb2699858d31d.png

Love how intense and dark the nights used to be in the early versions. Truly difficult to navigate in.

YES! I agree 100%. They should really make moonlit nights rare and have the moon not give off so much light. Right now it's super easy to navigate at night. And having those blue-green skies looks awesome. Especially with the mountains in the background.

On 10/7/2017 at 10:27 PM, RossBondReturns said:

The latest "easy one" is of Trappers Cabin from a version of the game where night makes it next to impossible to travel.

If I'm right I will post a new screenshot with a few more clues and a lot more daylight.

You are right. And it was very easy, I don't see why people are complaining so much. It is pretty clearly the Trapper´s in the middle of the picture, with the smoke, coming out of the chimney... and a bit of indoors light from the window. Besides, there is no location in the game that would have such an opened view of the house on a cliff with no trees next to them.

Good job. :D 

I wonder if someone will guess the other one. I will drop another clue - that it is a picture from Coastal Highway as well. 

Archived