Added feats

Chefsgonewild

So, I like the feats, the concept of playing the game enough you get small bonuses to the characters, but I'd like to see more variety. Maybe a carry weight upgrade? Say, after walking so far over the 30 kg, a small bonus, say 10-20 percent? Maybe something the decreases the rate of the exhaustion stat? Something you still really have to work and survive for, and doesn't "break" the mechanics and difficulty. Especially since the higher difficulties only allow so many bonuses per play through, a larger variety would force your choice and thus play style. Any thoughts?

Yep, it's been discussed before.  I think additional feats could add a lot of replay potential.   Especially feats that make the game harder.   For example, I'd love a feat that let me slap Interloper loot rules on one of the easier modes.  And a feat that let me put stalker/interloper fire warmth rules on pilgrim/voyageur.  That way I could personalize the difficulty a little for a new experience.

I find them satisfying to earn too.  More content is good.

• 4 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, Ruruwawa said:

Are you thinking of something like the firestarting feat, so it's faster to get to cooking 5?

No, I was thinking like a 50% less chance of food poisoning from the start.  But that would work, too.  I just want to be able to eat that 9% peanut butter and not worry about it.

6 hours ago, Prestermatt said:

No, I was thinking like a 50% less chance of food poisoning from the start.  But that would work, too.  I just want to be able to eat that 9% peanut butter and not worry about it.

Maybe it changed with the Wintermute, but used to be possible to eat spoiled food from the ground (hitting spacebar to eat it on pick-up) and once you had 5 level cooking, no more food poisoning... :D

39 minutes ago, Mroz4k said:

Maybe it changed with the Wintermute, but used to be possible to eat spoiled food from the ground (hitting spacebar to eat it on pick-up) and once you had 5 level cooking, no more food poisoning... :D

Doesn't Cooking 5 only apply to things you've cooked?  So, not peanut butter, condensed milk, etc.?

I know that processed foods are a small part of the game, so I'm not too serious about this one, but I do think it would be funny to see "Iron Stomach" on the Feats list. :D

21 hours ago, Prestermatt said:

Doesn't Cooking 5 only apply to things you've cooked?  So, not peanut butter, condensed milk, etc.?

I know that processed foods are a small part of the game, so I'm not too serious about this one, but I do think it would be funny to see "Iron Stomach" on the Feats list. :D

Good point. Not really sure, but I believe someone told me that you cant contract the condition when your cooking skill is at level 5. This would require some testing - I might just do that once I get my PC up and running. But I guess you are right, it makes more sense.

With ragards to difficulty settings i would like to have detailed options to personalize the world as is getting common in a lot of othere games.

For example the wolves give me the idea that someone forgot to close the local dog-asylum. They are quite numerous and respawn quickly. I would prefer to see less of them (and longer respawn times) but more dangerous. Such that a wolf howl does make me nervous.

Added to such a system could be a difficulty indicator.

• 1 month later...

Ahh, this is the topic I have been looking for. Oh my suggestions for feats. Though, I think I was a bit more liberal with the things I think would make good feats.

Predator- Completely harvest 1000 animals. " You have a dangerous vibe, animals are reluctant to approach you." Wolves and bears have 25% chance to ignore player character.  Prey animals alert to you 50% further away.

Wolfsbane- Kill 500 wolves "You have carved a bloody legacy into the genetic memory of the wolves of Great Bear, making them eternally wary of humans." Wolves have 50% chance to flee the player. (Much like on pilgrim difficulty, only not guaranteed. May make higher difficulties more accessible. Would synergize well with Predator, as they would be separate rolls affecting wolves. I do not think this would too heavily impact gamemodes like stalker and interloper, as you probably would want other things that don't affect the same things. Guess it depends how much you hate wolves.)

Conditioning- Travel 1000km over-encumbered beyond being able to sprint. "You have kept yourself in shape over the years with mountain hikes bearing weighted packs." Double encumbrance weight. (Encumberance would start at 60kg, which is around 130 lbs, roughly. I am not that in shape, but I can carry 130 lbs around on my back fairly readily, at 28 years old. With training I could do better. I can run with 150 lbs, but not far, and really probably not fast. I know this because I carry my wife around when we are being silly. I would however tire quickly, so an additional mechanic such as your energy decrease would be unaffected may be in order. This would also mean that the minimum weight would go up to 30 though, when exhausted. So, I think this is not too unrealistic. In terms of difficulty it probably would make the game much easier in terms of weight management. But it would probably take several playthroughs to get.)

Traveled- Use charcoal 5000 times. "Like any aviator worth his salt, you always carry a map of the area you will be flying into. Just in case." No fog on map, but no icons either. Charcoal marks items of interest.  (This would greatly help with navigation, just by having a general idea of where you are.)

Marksman- Shoot one of each type of animal from a range of 65 paces or greater.  "You are a master marksman, and have practiced with firearms for years to make it that way. Your rifle is never far out of reach." Survivor starts with a gun and four rounds. Use them wisely.  (Not sure on this range. It is difficult to gauge how far I am from something. I figure a rabbit would be insanely difficult to hit, while a bear would be rather easy. I like the idea of this difficulty inversion. I say four rounds because that is the number of animals you would need to shoot to get this. Sort of a legacy. If I understand things correctly, this would also require you to be a max level marksman. Please correct me if I am wrong, and I will fix it. It is worth noting, this feat would be effectively useless on Interloper. You would have your 4 shots, and that's it.)

Archer- Hit 5000 animals with arrows. "You have trained tirelessly with the bow and have earned the respect of your peers." Survivors with this feat start at level 3 archery.

Cast Iron Stomach- Eat 7500 Food items with less than 10% condition. "You don't really care what you put into your mouth. Your gut has gotten used to things no man should ever dare to eat." Survivors with this feat are 75% less likely to gain foodborn illnesses. (Would effect impure water, food items and meat items. Again this would make harder difficulties more accessible- Meat would be much safer to eat. But... you gonna get food poisoning often trying to get to it ^,..,^. Sacrifice the "now" for the "hence". Also a nod to Prestermatt here, I agree mate.)

Insomniac- Be awake with 0 energy for a total of 50  days. "You can sleep when you are dead. You live by this. You are also perpetually cranky." Survivors with this feat tire 50% more slowly. (This would synergize very well with any number of feats, especially ones I have mentioned, and with them may make the game too easy. For example, this with Conditioning could be a viable combination to make an Interloper run far more easy. But those would be the only two feats you could take, and in the long run they likely would not serve you very well. I feel there would be better alternatives.)

Let me know what you guys think of these. This is what I have for ideas for now. If these are not implemented (which I think is quite unlikely that they will be) I would like to turn them into mods via steam, if I can figure out how, or coordinate with someone experienced with modding. Personally I play Voyager, and would likely run Conditioned, Predator and/or Wolfsbane, and Insomniac or Traveled. But Cast Iron Stomach would be good too. Personally I hate wolves. I can never seem to escape them. For me, this would provide a lot of hard choices, and some real challenges to get.

2 hours ago, Eranderil Nix Grey said:

"You don't really care what you put into your mouth. Your gut has gotten used to things no man should ever dare to eat."

You've captured my wish perfectly. :D

All of these are great ideas.  I'm sure they would need a lot of tweaking for gameplay balance, but I like the way you think and you've written these up well.

Ty mate. These are just things I have thought of during gameplay. I am particularly keen on wolfsbane. I would be interested to know what you would suggest for tweeking. I tired to balance the benefit against the cost to gain. So while I know these are pretty heafty gains, none of them could be gotten easily, or likely even at all within a playthrough.

I do have a thought for struggles against wolves as well, as I have only ever lost one wolf fight, which killed me. And I have been in many, but I haven't come up with how I would implement it, or a good benefit. I was thinking along the lines of Emerge Victorious from X wolf struggles. "You have proven yourself the Alpha of Great Bear. Wolves fear and respect you." But when it comes to what the feat would do I am at a loss. It was going to be a precursor to Wolfesbane. 10% more damage in struggles? 50% more time? Wolves less likely to attack?(Used already, I know).

Oh, and I forgot one:

Honed Edge- Use a Whetstone 1000 times. "You know the value of a sharp blade, and keep your equipment honed to perfection." May use gathered stones as whetstones, which are less effective and don't last as long, but are far more common.

1 hour ago, Eranderil Nix Grey said:

I would be interested to know what you would suggest for tweeking.

I'm not the best to judge that; I'm fairly laid back about things that "make the game too easy", and they look pretty good and fun to me.  But I'm guessing that others will have constructive criticism for you.

15 hours ago, Eranderil Nix Grey said:

Cast Iron Stomach- Eat 7500 Food items with less than 10% condition. "You don't really care what you put into your mouth. Your gut has gotten used to things no man should ever dare to eat."

Call it the Rambo feat. "He's been trained to eat things that would make a billy-goat puke."

• 9 months later...

Archived