Carter Dam elevator bugged. Can't progress.

Shuklack

Episode 2: Renewed Hope

Ok, so after waiting a week for an Aurora I finally made my way into Carter Dam.  I opened the control room and flipped the power switch.  When I head toward the elevator, all goes dark and guy says "I'm gonna be stuck here a while, better see what I can use."  Elevator won't open, but it does make a crackle sound when I hit the button.

At first I thought maybe I was just running out of time on the Aurora power, but after several reloads it is apparent that it doesnt matter how long I take to get there... just walking near the elevator triggers the Aurora off for some reason.

Am I missing something?  I did lose the flashlight at some point, is that needed to progress?  

9 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

Happened to me too I didn't get things done fast enough.

In about 5 days you should get another Aurora.

But just in case it hits earlier...mix passing time with sleep at night.

It has nothing to do with time. I went in with more than 50% remaining of the night, you get instant darkness as soon as you step out of the room. The best part is that these devs then decided to save checkpoint right after instant darkness.

I'm pretty much screwed, I have no food or ammo left becuase it took 18 days for the aurora to arrive.

3 hours ago, greenfishhind said:

It has nothing to do with time. I went in with more than 50% remaining of the night, you get instant darkness as soon as you step out of the room. The best part is that these devs then decided to save checkpoint right after instant darkness.

I'm pretty much screwed, I have no food or ammo left becuase it took 18 days for the aurora to arrive.

These patches are amazing! Jerimiah's flare cache is still totally busted too! They did manage to close off the cave back to Milton.....because being able to go back to Milton is a much bigger issue than quests still not functioning more than three weeks after release of Wintermute.....

I've wanted to play all day today, but I guess I'll just have to wait another week to see if the game works with patch 9 or 10 or whatever we are up to now....

7 hours ago, greenfishhind said:

Go out and hunt that's what I did.

And yes it can be due to time. The aurora doesn't have to stick around it's not on the clock. The aurora can stop just as suddenly as it wants. Sometimes it only lasts an hour...sometimes even less...sometimes 2-3 hours...it's not a static length.

Mine gave me enough time to mess up and go to the elevator panel on the 2nd floor...make it back down to the small vestibule by the office and the elevator on the first floor before it cut out.

It was my own damn fault I had to wait 5 more nights.

8 minutes ago, RossBondReturns said:

The aurora can stop just as suddenly as it wants. Sometimes it only lasts an hour...sometimes even less...sometimes 2-3 hours...it's not a static length.

are you sure about that? Every Aurora I had so far ended just before Sun and Moon in the HUD where about the same, Sun almost half up, Moon a little less then half down. I haven't experienced an Aurora that stopped in the middle of the night.

Just now, ChillPlayer said:

are you sure about that? Every Aurora I had so far ended just before Sun and Moon in the HUD where about the same, Sun almost half up, Moon a little less then half down. I haven't experienced an Aurora that stopped in the middle of the night.

Positive.

I've had Aurora last for varying periods of time.

Sometimes they start in the middle of the night and last an hour.

I've had them barely last long enough to flicker the light for 15 in game minutes.

7 minutes ago, ChillPlayer said:

It's probably a new bug m8....

I guess try to wait for another aurora and verify for sure....but it's probably a bug. There are a couple people on the forums that are in denial about the game having issues, and they go out of their way to refute anything people say.....it's best to not waste your time going back and forth with them...

55 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

It's probably a new bug m8....

I guess try to wait for another aurora and verify for sure....but it's probably a bug. There are a couple people on the forums that are in denial about the game having issues, and they go out of their way to refute anything people say.....it's best to not waste your time going back and forth with them...

Hi I'm not in denial that the game has issues.

But I am stating that Aurora do in fact appear for short periods of time...and can in fact start and stop quickly and without warning.

I've witnessed it many many many times.

Just so you all know I just checked my video and the aurora do stop when I head towards the 1st floor elevator.

It appears it IS triggered to do just that...as everyone I know has had the same "issue".

My points still stand though.

Aurora can start at anytime...on any night...my travel through the dam at the end of Episode 2 was on an overcast night...so no green aurora glow.

They can also stop at anytime they don't always last all night.

I just tried it and it triggered darkness/aurora "off" right as I approached the elevator (main floor)... so add one more to the "it's not an aurora timing thing" camp.  I already waited a few days in Mystery Lake for aurora (boring for those who've played it for years) and am going to do so again.  I'm liking the story-mode game but am burning a lot of real-life time on bugs/continuity quirks.

3 hours ago, RossBondReturns said:

Go out and hunt that's what I did.

And yes it can be due to time. The aurora doesn't have to stick around it's not on the clock. The aurora can stop just as suddenly as it wants. Sometimes it only lasts an hour...sometimes even less...sometimes 2-3 hours...it's not a static length.

Mine gave me enough time to mess up and go to the elevator panel on the 2nd floor...make it back down to the small vestibule by the office and the elevator on the first floor before it cut out.

It was my own damn fault I had to wait 5 more nights.

Thanks for trying to help me. But no, no more. I've already wasted countless of hours on this game. The aurora stops as soon as I leave the room. If I stay inside the room the aurora never ends. This is clearly a bug, one of many.

7 hours ago, Thrasador said:

These patches are amazing! Jerimiah's flare cache is still totally busted too! They did manage to close off the cave back to Milton.....because being able to go back to Milton is a much bigger issue than quests still not functioning more than three weeks after release of Wintermute.....

I've wanted to play all day today, but I guess I'll just have to wait another week to see if the game works with patch 9 or 10 or whatever we are up to now....

Exactly. I realise this game was in early acess in the past. But come on, how did some of these quirks get past bug testing. I'm in the same boat as yourself, i'm gonna wait for the next patch.

However i'm alarmed not a single dev response on their actual forum have responded to some of these bugs....

Yeah it's not necessarily running out of time because, as I mentioned in OP, it doesn't appear to matter how long I take.  I can putz around for 15m or run straight to the elevator after flipping the switch.... and it's just getting near the elevator that triggers it off.

Perhaps the game is checking if I have -enough- Aurora left before it proceeds?...I dunno, back to the bunker I guess.  But I really don't want to spend MORE time using up resources only to discover I'm still bugged and can't proceed. 

Archived