How playable is the game on Xbox One right now?

Oddysee

I haven't played since about mid way through Game Preview.  When I saw it got a full release, I was going to jump back into it.  However, I read it was a bad launch with multiple bugs including crashes and save game loses.  So, with the already released patches, I was wondering how playable the game is on Xbox right now?  Would I be fine to start playing again or wait for more fixes?  Any info is appreciated.

I've been playing on XB1 since Aug 1. Played Wintermute for the first 10 days or so, until I was blocked by a story-halting bug (can't pick up bear pelt), which the devs claim was fixed in a patch I had downloaded before encountering it.

I switched over to Survival mode while I wait for news of another patch as I don't feel like restarting Wintermute in the hopes that a new save file will fix the bug. Survival mode has always been the most important part of the game for me, and I knew story mode wouldn't compare. I have well over 400 hours sunk into survival. I have had no problems at all with Survival mode during my Interloper playthrough in the last couple of weeks.

The game runs fine technically on XB1: I have experienced no save losses, and no more crashes when exiting buildings as there were before the very first patch. In general, the game runs well on Xbox - it seems most people haven't been stopped by a bug like I was. There were some weird things in Wintermute that a lot of people are complaining about (no voiceover for >50% of story mode interactions, heat-seeking wolves, weak dialog writing, minor bugs and irritations, a general feeling of inadequate QA testing). But the core gameplay is still best-in-genre, the world is beautifully designed and survival mode is the most addictive game experience of the past two years for me. And it cost us $20.

Jump in, you'll enjoy it. Don't let the whiners or minor bugs turn you off - TLD is still a fantastic achievement in independent game design.

Archived