Best way to store meat & fish ?

Kaiservadin

Wolves are only interested in meat if you drop it while they are stalking you. Then, the meat works as a decoy. Othervise, they will ignore it.

But if you are really affraid that they might eat it, store it outside, but in a location where the wolves cant get - for example, if you live in a farmhouse, there is a porch which counts as "outside" but you can close the door next to it, and prevent all wildlife from getting inside.

20 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

Wolves are only interested in meat if you drop it while they are stalking you. Then, the meat works as a decoy. Othervise, they will ignore it.

But if you are really affraid that they might eat it, store it outside, but in a location where the wolves cant get - for example, if you live in a farmhouse, there is a porch which counts as "outside" but you can close the door next to it, and prevent all wildlife from getting inside.

Similarly, I live in the Fire Lookout in ML, and I store the meat on the porch above the ground :)

23 hours ago, Kaiservadin said:

But won't the wolfs get them ?

Unfortunately this behavior isn't modeled in game. I suspect they will eventually, but I reckon they will probably give us a method of building an outdoor container for our food first. It would be cool if the more food you stored outdoors the more wolves\bears you get in the area.

3 minutes ago, Renegade30 said:

Unfortunately this behavior isn't modeled in game. I suspect they will eventually, but I reckon they will probably give us a method of building an outdoor container for our food first. It would be cool if the more food you stored outdoors the more wolves\bears you get in the area.

I notice catching bunnys with snares tend to attract wolfs.

On 21.8.2017 at 4:56 PM, Kaiservadin said:

But won't the wolfs get them ?

Yes they will or at least "something" will eat your meat. If you leave meat outside on the floor it will decay as slowly as if it'd be in a container - but it looses weight every day, those 1KG pieces of deer you've put on the ground will suddenly only be 0.5kg pieces.

My favorite place to store meat and fish are fishing huts if I have one near my base, second only to a corpse - yes you've read right, you can store meat inside a corpse and it counts as a container ;) I used the car near the dam recently to store some pieces and sometimes you have a 10KG metal container near your base. But if you want to preserve your meat for a long time in good condition, it needs to be in some sort of container on the outside - the porch metal container in PV Farmstead does not count IIRC, but there's a car with a big trunk nearby you can use.

1 minute ago, ChillPlayer said:

Yes they will or at least "something" will eat your meat. If you leave meat outside on the floor it will decay as slowly as if it'd be in a container - but it looses weight every day, those 1KG pieces of deer you've put on the ground will suddenly only be 0.5kg pieces.

My favorite place to store meat and fish are fishing huts if I have one near my base, second only to a corpse - yes you've read right, you can store meat inside a corpse and it counts as a container ;) I used the car near the dam recently to store some pieces and sometimes you have a 10KG metal container near your base. But if you want to preserve your meat for a long time in good condition, it needs to be in some sort of container on the outside - the porch metal container in PV Farmstead does not count IIRC, but there's a car with a big trunk nearby you can use.

I think i will use the body from the mission lake gunshots.

1 minute ago, Kaiservadin said:

I think i will use the body from the mission lake gunshots.

uhm if you are already at the lake just store it in any of the fishing huts because they provide a much higher storage capacity. But maybe not the one closest to Camp Office, this area gets crowded by wolves and it might be difficult to reach. Of course, after you've filled the corpse first with some meat for the coolness factor :D

7 minutes ago, ChillPlayer said:

uhm if you are already at the lake just store it in any of the fishing huts because they provide a much higher storage capacity. But maybe not the one closest to Camp Office, this area gets crowded by wolves and it might be difficult to reach. Of course, after you've filled the corpse first with some meat for the coolness factor :D

So far on the porch of the Cabin Office seem to work ok all my meat was still there.

29 minutes ago, Kaiservadin said:

I will

I honestly don't know what's going on, either my mind plays heavy tricks on me or something got changed. I wanted to check how much weight it looses and loaded a Stalker game where I happend to have a piece of venison on me. I dropped it on the pouch of the Jackrabbit hut and waited for two days, didn't loose any weight.

I am sure that in the same Stalker game the meat I've dropped outside the Dam did loose weight severely and also that this was discussed earlier, when they introduced the whole "outside storage" feature (about a year ago).

@Scyzara my (probably) crazy mind tells me that you were involved in that discussion but it's too long ago. Can you elaborate on that?

1 minute ago, ChillPlayer said:

I honestly don't know what's going on, either my mind plays heavy tricks on me or something got changed. I wanted to check how much weight it looses and loaded a Stalker game where I happend to have a piece of venison on me. I dropped it on the pouch of the Jackrabbit hut and waited for two days, didn't loose any weight.

I am sure that in the same Stalker game the meat I've dropped outside the Dam did loose weight severely and also that this was discussed earlier, when they introduced the whole "outside storage" feature (about a year ago).

They might of stop that and switch it to cond. lost of the food instead.

9 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

@Scyzara my (probably) crazy mind tells me that you were involved in that discussion but it's too long ago. Can you elaborate on that?

The meat will not lose weight unless you have startled a wolf. I think (cannot be sure) if you have a wolf tailing you and you go back to your base and go inside, with all your meat outside, then the wolf will take some. But you can still be very close to wolves (like quonset garage) and leave your meat by the door outside and it won't get taken.

11 hours ago, ChillPlayer said:

Sorry, I don't remember it if meat ever really  lost weight. Only that I always liked the idea of foxes being introduced which might steal rabbits from your snares and meat/fish dropped on the ground outdoors. But even in this regard I was just thinking about losing the whole piece at once, not parts of it.

• 1 month later...

Store meat on the ground anywhere, never see it loses weight or stolen by wolves. And you can not bother the condition - store raw, it gets ruined, but after cooking regains 50% condition and becomes safe to eat.

But ruined items tend to disappear from any containers due to some glitch so beware.

Archived