Playstyle in story mode vs. sandbox

Simulacra

I definitely fall into the hoarder category of TLD players, and I've had to change the way I play in the story mode so as not to ruin my enjoyment. I still look in EVERY container, but I leave behind things that are naturally plentiful (ie tinder) and I stop harvesting plants when I have 5-10 of each type of natural remedy (since I think the plants grow back in Story Mode anyways? IDK). I've also stopped stockpiling things and prioritize according to their usefulness, which meant leaving behind tens of cured hides, guts, heavier foods, a bedroll, and clothing in Milton.

I still pick up every tool, but I use the lower-condition one until it breaks, and then only keep/maintain/sharpen one tool of each type in order to reduce carry-weight. I've also stopped harvesting every single carcass unless I need something specific from it.

This is how I managed to shave down my inventory for the zone transition... I guess what's important to remember is that the story has clear-cut goals which are meant to guide the gameplay, as opposed to the mindset of "gather everything in a map and try to survive indefinitely", which is definitely what many people do in sandbox.

I'm also less afraid of wolves, for obvious reasons. 

I'm curious as to how other sandbox players have modified their way of playing for story mode. Do you treat it differently, or have your habits stayed the same?

8 minutes ago, Simulacra said:

(since I think the plants grow back in Story Mode anyways? IDK).

I think they're not supposed to but do respawn anyway whenever there's another patch update.
I'm like you though and stopped caring about some things, and yes especially tinder and meds. I even stashed my lantern after awhile since it didn't seem like something I needed a lot in the game. I mostly worried about killing game and fishing for food. I didn't even worry about wood and always got that on the fly. I did however carry around those bolt cutters for awhile, worried I was going to need them again. 1.5 kg, that hurt, lol.

Archived