Patch 7 didn't fix Jeremiah Flare Cache for me.

Anthony_Jouls

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, JAFO said:

Some fixes require starting a new game for them to "work".. seeing aurora in Survival mode is like that. It might be the same for your situation.

Hey @JAFO....you think I'll be okay since I'm not on Episode 2 yet? Or I have to start again too?

I don't understand why you have to start a new survival game for the aurora borealis to appear.....that doesn't make much sense to me....

12 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Hey @JAFO....you think I'll be okay since I'm not on Episode 2 yet? Or I have to start again too?

No idea.. and there's only one way to find out, I guess.

12 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

I don't understand why you have to start a new survival game for the aurora borealis to appear.....that doesn't make much sense to me....

Think about it.. a heck of a lot gets encoded into the save. Every single item of loot in the entire world, its condition and location, is stored in that save, when you first create a new game. And a lot of other things besides.. I'm not in the least surprised that something like the appearance (or not) and even timing of aurora are encoded into that file as well. In the one open-source game whose development I'm involved with, the amount of information and detail stored in a game-save is truly stunning.

1 hour ago, JAFO said:

No idea.. and there's only one way to find out, I guess.

Think about it.. a heck of a lot gets encoded into the save. Every single item of loot in the entire world, its condition and location, is stored in that save, when you first create a new game. And a lot of other things besides.. I'm not in the least surprised that something like the appearance (or not) and even timing of aurora are encoded into that file as well. In the one open-source game whose development I'm involved with, the amount of information and detail stored in a game-save is truly stunning.

Well, see that's the thing...I don't think the weather is stored in a save...nor should it be.

I've reloaded a saved game and had completely different weather throughout the day. One time it got foggy, so I quit and reloaded. Then it started snowing over the same period of time and it turned into a blizzard. I quit and reloaded a third time and it stayed clear all day instead. So the saved game doesn't have the weather stored in it....that is made up by the game as it goes along. Now that they added the aurora, why can't it just appear in my sandbox save like any other weather showing up.

Why would they want to predict and store all the weather in a save even if they could? There is no way to predict how long I'll live in the game. If I live too long, will there just be no more blizzards because the save ran out of predicted weather?

Well.. I didn't actually mention weather.. just the aurora.. and I'm not saying the timing of them is saved.. but the state of some on/off switch (such as we know from Reddit is in the code) might be stored in the save file.

(Incidentally, I've been wondering if the weather in Wintermute Mode is scripted. Have you noticed any patterns or lack thereof, in you numerous restarts?)

Due to it changing a lot when reloading no, not really in general. However before I get to Milton it does seem like it often tries to snow on Day 6. Basically on Day 5 you climb out...then depending on how much you screw around with dead deer and bunnies it is usually night by the time I get to a car. I often sleep in a car till day 6. Often on day 6 there seems to be snow. Usually by the time I hit the blue trailer it is snowing pretty badly. Not a blizzard bad....but pretty bad snow. That seems to have been fairly consistent through all my playthroughs.

I do know there IS scripted weather in the story. Like the bear hunt there is ALWAYS fog on the final shot of 6 shots.

When you get to the rifle repair building there is always a cut scene where you trip over a dead guy, hit your head, and wake up to an aurora and aurora wolves.

So there definitely is scripted weather events for some quests. 

Other quests though, or a majority of them....weather is it's normal pattern of random....

7 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

So there definitely is scripted weather events for some quests. 

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.. I've only run through the pre-Milton part twice, but the weather seemed to follow very much the same pattern each time.

5 hours ago, JAFO said:

Thanks for confirming my suspicions.. I've only run through the pre-Milton part twice, but the weather seemed to follow very much the same pattern each time.

You mean it started with light snow in the middle of day 6 followed by heavy snow with winds in the late afternoon evening...and overnight? I usually repair my clothes in the blue trailer before day 7. Day 7 is usually ok....I hit the church and then Milton.....

Once I slept in a cave on the evening of Day 6 and it seemed pretty crappy out that night as usual. Luckily the cave I speak of has 5-8 pieces of coal in it and lots of sticks out front...so I had a nice fire all night....

The cave is way to the right, after the lone car at the bend....well before the blue trailer and church.....

10 hours ago, Thrasador said:

Luckily the cave I speak of has 5-8 pieces of coal in it and lots of sticks out front...so I had a nice fire all night....

The cave is way to the right, after the lone car at the bend....well before the blue trailer and church.....

Thanks.. I'm aware of the cave on the left.. but didn't know about that one.

17 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Thanks.. I'm aware of the cave on the left.. but didn't know about that one.

Your welcome....I pretty much explored ever square inch of that map....even around behind the farm and everything....

There is actually ANOTHER deep cave on the left....but there is nothing in it. Not the shallow one....that I think is the one you found, with the mushrooms out front and the fir log inside it right before the pond with the cattails and dead deer....

There is a deep one on the left side of the road across the street from the blue trailer. It overlooks the cut tree area on the left side of the road before the bridge into Milton. Not that it matters, because like I said that one is empty....but I was curious what was over that way....so I checked it out...

Sometimes I enter something to save my game and then explore. If it turns out to be a waste of time and there is nothing over there, I just quit and reload....

That's actually how I found the dead guy with key #13. I was on a random walkabout....

Well, I didn't start Episode 2 until after the last patch, but I had started over for about the fifth time for the prior patch. If the cache is still bugged for me I'll let you know.....and I will be quite aggravated.

I don't think I'll be starting over again for a while.....

On 8/18/2017 at 7:23 AM, Anthony_Jouls said:

Actually title says, Flare Cache didn't appear at all. And all "trust" dialogues are still available to speak after some time. So I'm not able to get achievement :(

Trust dialogues are usually available after you leave and come back.  I just did that.

I fact, I was expecting to see the cache marked after retalking with Jeremiah, but no joy.  No note in my quests, no cache on my map.  I'd really like to not restart episode 2 since I don't know if I'd have to restart episode 1, and to be honest if I'm going to have to hunt and everything, I'd rather do it for myself than to just give it away.

So Xbox patch 3 doesn't seem to have addressed precisely what they said it would address, unless we need to restart.  And I'd be very unhappy with that because I would ostensibly be penalized for playing the game at launch.

Someone from Hinterland?  HALP!!

Just now, Anthony_Jouls said:

It seems like you have to play this game after one month from release because of bugs to prevent cases like I have.

Doing that probably would have prevented a lot of frustration for a lot of people.....but as fans I don't think we could all wait that long to play....I couldn't....

It would be nice if at this point the patches no longer require a restart from the beginning for them to work....at least....

12 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

Wait, what?  This can't actually be the case, can it?

For many of the patched items....like "adding additional tools to the town of Milton." Yes, you had to restart over from the beginning for the items to appear in your playthrough....

I tested that after patch 3. I went to where the hunting knife was supposed to be and it wasn't there.

It was present in every restart after that....

I started over again after every Steam patch....except 7....

If I have Episode 2 bugs that were supposed to be patched in patch 7 I will lose my frigging mind....

Just now, Thrasador said:

For many of the patched items....like "adding additional tools to the town of Milton." Yes, you had to restart over from the beginning for the items to appear in your playthrough....

That's bizarre.  I've played a lot of video games in my time, and I've never encountered a game that didn't apply the patch fixes to your current save file (unless maybe a particular fix put in was for corrupted save files or something).

20 minutes ago, novascotiapower said:

Can anyone from Hinterland weigh in on this? I've been waiting for an answer to start playing again.

This.  I've been waiting for a few weeks...  I'd go back to hunting map spots, but I can't find anymore because the rest seem to be inaccessible.

Come on, Hinterland.  Can someone give us an update?

Archived