If You Don't Want To Cry Your Eyes Out...

1 hour ago, Ruruwawa said:

I can think of several other factors beyond water temp:  wrong pH, particles/"silt" settling on the coral, toxins and other chemicals from deeper strata of water, nutrients not typically found on the reef attracting invasive species.  I'm no scientist, so I could easily be wrong about any or all of those.  I think the lesson here is to hold on to what's not yet damaged with both hands.  

I've taken a couple of dive trips to the reef, about 20 years ago now.  Wow, what a spectacular place.  I've visited other places in Australia and there's a lot of wonderfully unique nature and culture -- but the reef is unique on a global scale.  I'd hate to see it lost for something as no-value-add (=low quantity and quality of jobs) and problematic as coal.  Coal, of all things!  Solar seems like the smart fit for Australia, both from a natural resources and economic development point of view.  

Nope, all of those are excellent points. The invention I remembered was just the first thing that popped into my head for a water pump to cool water. It could definitely backfire like the bufo toad....

7 hours ago, Ruruwawa said:

I think the lesson here is to hold on to what's not yet damaged with both hands.  

We can't though, it's dying because of warming. Something that seems out of our hands now since those who could help make the changes want to just deny it's happening.

18 hours ago, JAFO said:

Let's just say I'm a big fan and proponent of Derrick Jensen's 2-volume book, Endgame. ;)

It's very heavy. It will take me awhile to get through them since I have other books on the go too and I find it hard now to find the time to read. Very interesting though.
Btw, just fyi, GamerNate who you've seen me mention before and who does a lot of TLD play-throughs, lives in Brisbane. He's British but went there for his job, met and married his wife there and stayed. He loves Australia.
Another thing to note is that, there is this blind guy on Youtube with some very cool videos. Tommy Edison. He's American. He answers all our questions that we have about blindness and he does it in a very sweet and funny way. He's very lovable. He tells us stories and they're all very, very interesting. I binge watched all his videos when I found him. He's been completely blind since birth. One thing that I remember him telling us about were some of his travels in the world and he loves to travel. He says that of all the places he's been, that he loves Australia the most. He can't see it of course, but he says the sounds and the smells and perceptions that he does get are unlike anywhere else in the world, and the comfortable, happy feels he gets from Australians, far surpass anywhere he's ever been.

1 hour ago, SnowWalker said:

Btw, just fyi, GamerNate who you've seen me mention before and who does a lot of TLD play-throughs, lives in Brisbane. He's British but went there for his job, met and married his wife there and stayed. He loves Australia.
Another thing to note is that, there is this blind guy on Youtube with some very cool videos. Tommy Edison. He's American.
He's been completely blind since birth. One thing that I remember him telling us about were some of his travels in the world and he loves to travel. He says that of all the places he's been, that he loves Australia the most. He can't see it of course, but he says the sounds and the smells and perceptions that he does get are unlike anywhere else in the world, and the comfortable, happy feels he gets from Australians, far surpass anywhere he's ever been.

I was born in the UK also.. came to Australia when I was young, and have been here ever since. Yep, it's an amazing, wonderful place, with many wonderful people, and I can't imagine calling anywhere else home.

14 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

We can't though, it's dying because of warming. Something that seems out of our hands now since those who could help make the changes want to just deny it's happening.

I understand what you mean, but I'm talking more broadly.  Global warming is very far from the only place where corporations use tobacco tactics ("doubt is our product") to trash our planet for their bottom lines.

Archived