Mouse broken in menu - Windows 7

TorQueMoD

I haven't played TLD in almost a year and now that Wintermute is out I thought I'd try again. Sadly I can't even start a new game as the mouse won't let me click on the menu buttons.  

When I first launched the game, the resolution was showing as 4:3 for some reason. No problem, graphics got reset, or so I thought. I tried to click on the Options button in the menu and my mouse cursor just disappears when I click on it. When I move the mouse again, it's over on the right side of the screen. I could use Enter to open the options - provided I used the mouse to navigate to it - but then found that it's already set to 1920x1080. I did a search and tried forcing the resolution using launch options which worked, but the mouse cursor still disappears when I try to click on a menu button. Also once I get into the options screen, using Enter to adjust the settings no longer works so I can see what they are but can't change them. I've searched all over google for a way to reset the graphics options to default but can't find any info (aside from a thread on how to do this on a Mac). I also tried deleting the TLD folder in AppData but that didn't work either. Someone mentioned a user file to delete but I can't find it in the Steam directory for the game. Guess I'll re-install as it'll probably be faster than waiting on support but it'd be nice to know what's going wrong. Attached my output log before I re-install.

I'm running a GTX 780 with dual monitors (only play the game on one monitor though). 

output_log.txt

4 hours ago, TorQueMoD said:

Someone mentioned a user file to delete but I can't find it in the Steam directory for the game.

The file you're looking for (user001) is in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Hinterland\TheLongDark\

That's also where your gamesaves are stored, btw.

4 hours ago, TorQueMoD said:

I'm running a GTX 780 with dual monitors (only play the game on one monitor though).

Do you play the game on your primary or secondary monitor? If secondary, maybe that's the problem.

Hi JAFO, thanks for the help. So I deleted the user001 file unknowingly then when I cleared out the AppData folder and it didn't fix the issue. No worry about my save games since they're broken since the Wintermute update anyway. I'm playing the game on my Primary Monitor or Monitor 0 according to the options which I'm assuming is monitor 1 - in Nvidia control panel my primary monitor is 1.

I did an uninstall, manual delete of the Steam and AppData folders and re-install and it didn't fix the issue sadly. Still can't click on the menu buttons.

So I tried just using the Enter key to select the menu button to start a new game and this works but literally the entire menu system is broken. Also in game, it tells me to press A or B when I find an object that I can take and if I move my mouse around a bit it eventually switches over to mouse controls, but it's glitchy in that it keeps flipping between mouse and gamepad controls and I have to fight with the UI for a bit before I can take an item with Left Mouse Button. Enable gamepad is ON in the options menu but I have no way of turning it off and my gamepad is not connected.

Not sure what's causing the issue. I use a MadCatz Rat Pro X gaming mouse.

Ok so I fixed the problem. I plugged in my gamepad and restarted the game. Then I used the gamepad to navigate the menu and turned it to off and this made the mouse start working again. I don't know why the gamepad is enabled by default after a clean install, but turning it off fixed the issue. Should be a simple ini file tweak. I'll submit a bug report.

Archived