GOG Patch?

Chester Rico

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/27/2017 at 0:15 AM, Polynomial-C said:

Still no v1.15 update on GoG. Very disappointing...

V1.15 was apparently just released on XB:O. So I guess they need a bit more time. But I too wish they were a bit faster. Also it's not like I get to play every day, so it's not too big a deal for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2017 at 10:13 PM, Patrick Carlson said:

The update schedule for our various platforms can be different, and we understand frustration around that. But we will be getting all updates released, as they are ready. Thank you for your patience and understanding. 

The Long Dark hotfixed to v1.15 (32683) on STEAM, Dated September 17th

PS4 now updated to v1.15 (32681), Dated September th20

V1.15 has been released on Xbox One  Dated September 28th

It is now October 20th and still nothing for the GOG version,
All we get is “Thank you for your patience and understanding”  Blah Blah Blah,
Sorry but I no longer have any patience or understanding when it comes to Hinterland,
It seems to me you treat the people that bought the game from GOG with (at the very least) indiverance,
If you no longer wish to keep the GOG version updated at the very least you could tell us,
That at least would be more honest,

Nothing to add here except that my current game seems bug free. I have looked into chance logs because of spoilers and so far I don't think I've experienced a bug.

But I do agree with the patience thing has gotten out of hand. I hope this update will be done before the December update. xD

1 hour ago, Blinkin said:

Nothing to add here except that my current game seems bug free. I have looked into chance logs because of spoilers and so far I don't think I've experienced a bug.

But I do agree with the patience thing has gotten out of hand. I hope this update will be done before the December update. xD

December update for GOG will be in March

That's if it ever gets the update :S

I'm not a developer, not in gaming that is, but yes there shouldn't be much differences beside Digital Rights Management.
However they do need to recompile everything and test if the build they're going to release doesn't has any bugs which might have gotten inside during compiling.

Does this requires many weeks of time? I don't know for sure, but as far as I know: no it shouldn't.
But again, I'm not a gaming developer and I haven't experienced bugs with the 1.12 version.
Although I've read on the forums that there's a flare cache in story mode when you gain 50 trust from Jeremiah... the game lists something about this but I don't remember finding it nor getting the hint about it. Not sure if this is a (known) bug or if I'm mistaken.

I'm a little concerned by all of this. It seems to me like situation surrounding updates for the GOG version are getting significantly worse. For game that was sold on the promise of significant future content, this is not at all comforting. Taking a working build of the game available on Steam and making that available on GOG is not a massive undertaking. It certainly takes some time and effort to be sure, but still one of the smaller scale tasks on a project of the scale of The Long Dark. Now that the delay in updates has moved from days in many weeks and counting, this invites some measure of speculation, and none of it all that good.

I appreciate that the ultimate goal is to release a finished game with all story episodes complete, and that has to be the main priority. But if things are running so lean and/or disorderly that the task of ensuring patches get released to all customers is not being done in anything approaching a timely fashion, then it looks to me like there is something seriously wrong with the whole project.

I don't actually know what I hope for when it comes to the ultimate reason for these delays. I don't want to think that it is incompetence or mismanagement, as I always want to think the best of people, and I wouldn't want to hear that things just don't get done because of individual failings. On the other hand, if the project is in triage mode, and GOG updates are getting pushed to the back-burner just to keep things going, then that bodes poorly for everyone, developers and players across all platforms alike. It can't be an easy situation that TLD has seen the bulk of its lifetime sales prior to this, whereas a significant portion of the game development remains to be done. I'm sure that leads to a lot of tough decisions if the numbers don't add up. And I'm sure the proportion of the game's users that are on GOG is relatively insignificant compared to the greater whole. Still, if all were well, I would expect patch parity between Steam and GOG to be relatively easy to maintain. So I start to think that something is going wrong, and as I said earlier, I'm not sure I there's an explanation I can come up with that comforts me any.

I wish everyone the best, and I hope that I am completely wrong about all this. With so many major publishers turning their games into glorified slot machines, selling loot boxes and other ethically dubious microtransactions, I don't want to see a game I really like from a sincere and dedicated development team fall apart while the top end of the industry turns children and adolescents into inveterate gamblers.

9 hours ago, Hawk said:

Unfortunately we were still unable to update The Long Dark and I am unable to predict when we could do that.

9 hours ago, Hawk said:

That doesn't really say where the problem lies

Yup.. so to me, that sounds like a polite way of saying "We're still waiting for Hinterland to get their shit together."

2 hours ago, selfless said:

Honestly, there is no DRM in the Steam version.  Sure I need Steam access to download things from Steam.

Here's your DRM. ;)
At the moment you require a online verification to install software, you're dealing with DRM.

I have computers which don't have access to the internet. So installing though Steam is a no go.

1 hour ago, Blinkin said:

Here's your DRM. ;)
At the moment you require a online verification to install software, you're dealing with DRM.

I have computers which don't have access to the internet. So installing though Steam is a no go.

Right.  But the game files that get distributed from Steam and the game files that should be distributed by GOG should be identical.  There is nothing beyond the initial download that requires verification.  If it weren't a violation of terms, I could send you a copy of version 1.15 right now and you could totally use it.

So what's stopping them doing the same exact thing?

15 hours ago, selfless said:

So what's stopping them doing the same exact thing?

There's a little more to it than that, but not very much. The are processes to be followed so that it gets packaged into a standalone GOG installer, in addition to the version installable via the Galaxy client. But those aren't huge barriers to updates. Either the relationship between Hinterland and CDP has soured, or nobody has taken those very minimal steps to submit the recent patches for a GOG release. I keep reaching for justifications for this situation, and I cannot find a one that doesn't look bad.

You two are completely right. There is indeed not much else. Only a few build differences, I don't know what's stopping them.

The only reason I can think of that doesn't looks bad (not good) is that GOG isn't their priority due to how many customers it has and that they want every developer to focus on new updates, they're a small team after all.

For me working in a customer support team as a job: I find the communication about this update problem quite odd to say the least.

2 hours ago, Blinkin said:

For me working in a customer support team as a job: I find the communication about this update problem quite odd to say the least.

Hinterland's communication, in particular with respect to problems, has always been.... lacklustre.

11 hours ago, JAFO said:

Hinterland's communication, in particular with respect to problems, has always been.... lacklustre.

As you say – lacklustre when dealing with problems,

But unfortunately it's absolutely atrocious when it comes to GOG

11 hours ago, cekivi said:

Welcome to the forums @paralipsis ^_^

Hopefully this issue will get resolved soon...

@cekivi

If someone would tell us what the issue actually is then maybe we would be a little more understanding,

But to just ignore us altogether is not fun,

Only official reply in this thread in about 5 weeks is to welcome someone else onto the forum (who also seems to be wanting answers to the same question we have been asking),

PS

@paralipsis Welcome :)

5 hours ago, Mugger said:

@cekivi

If someone would tell us what the issue actually is then maybe we would be a little more understanding,

But to just ignore us altogether is not fun,

Only official reply in this thread in about 5 weeks is to welcome someone else onto the forum (who also seems to be wanting answers to the same question we have been asking),

PS

@paralipsis Welcome :)

You're not being ignored - but it's just as we said - when we have new information to share on this topic we will. We of course understand your interest in complete version-parity and are working to make that happen. Thank you. 

On 11/14/2017 at 5:34 AM, Patrick Carlson said:

You're not being ignored - but it's just as we said - when we have new information to share on this topic we will.

This is part of what people are complaining about.. they're left hanging waiting for "new information", when even some "current information" would go a long way towards helping with the impatience. It's called "keeping people in the loop". Just like Hinterland could have avoided 90% of the flack (and reputation damage) they caught when Wintermute released, if only they'd kept their public in the loop of what had actually gone wrong.

Archived