Help finding a map? Tired of being lost.

BZant

Im very new to this game. Only watched a few wintermute episodes on yt and decided to stop and remain spoiler free as i wanted to buy and play it myself. So far,  been having a great time. I just have no idea where im going most of the time. Ive found plenty of notes mentioning areas for loot, and certain areas mentioned by a npc. And yet i cant find these areas. Can anyone pin point where i can find a map? I glimpsed a walk through on yt where i am so far and the person had a map. And i dont. And this is making it difficult finding places i want to search. Like the gas station. Ive looked all over and cant seem to find it. Any help is appreciated. Please try to remain spoiler free if possible. And if this has been asked before im sorry in advance. I did search map through the forums and didnt see any posts on where to find one. 

4 minutes ago, stapeliad said:

there is a map in your radial menu, select the navigation star.

..well i dont want to sound dumb, but i literally tried this yesterday and it said i didnt have a map. And it was greyed out. But yes. I just checked and now i do have one. I dont understand. When do you get this map? I just started talking to an npc and did 2 quests today. Is this why? Never mentioned i received one. Thanks for letting me know though. Much appreciated. 

3 minutes ago, BZant said:

..well i dont want to sound dumb, but i literally tried this yesterday and it said i didnt have a map. And it was greyed out. But yes. I just checked and now i do have one. I dont understand. When do you get this map? I just started talking to an npc and did 2 quests today. Is this why? Never mentioned i received one. Thanks for letting me know though. Much appreciated. 

I never pinpointed the time when the map appeared....Grey Mother must trigger it if you didn't have one in the beginning.

As far as the Milton town layout there is the way you came in....i.e. the bridge. To the left is Grey Mother's house, with a path up behind her house. Straight from the bridge is the rest of town and further up the road a gas station....behind the gas station looks like the way to Episode 2....as I saw a rock you can tie a rope to WAY back there. To the right of the main bridge....or straight when leaving Grey Mother's house, and then over a little bridge is a farm you will be eventually sent to.....

That is the basics on directional sense for Milton....

I literally just started another run-thru last night, so I can say for certain you get the map after talking with grey mother for the first time. (I checked!)

Don't feel bad, I was halfway through the first episode before I knew I had a map the first time around.

12 hours ago, SnowWalker said:

And you have to check the map periodically when you talk to npc's or when you find new areas and more notes in the world, because Will is sneaky and doesn't necessarily let us know that he's marked something new on it.

Exactly!! lol Each new region after Milton updates your map.  page through for the different regions- they are all accessible, though that matters more for ep2.

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

It doesn't mention that GM gives you an object when she teaches you about keeping your tools sharp, either.

This too.

Archived