No Hatchet, No Knife in Milton

Dougie

Well, I'm 3/4 of the way to fill the old lady's fridge.  My ONE sharpening stone packed it in some time ago and I haven't found another.  My hatchet just gave out and I've looked in all the barns and buildings, and can't find ONE more hatchet.  There’s NOT a knife to be found anywhere.  In Survivor I have at least 3 of each, plus 4 sharpening stones.  How am I going to finish filling the old lady's fridge?  Couldn't the developers put a few around the area?  

6 hours ago, Dougie said:

Well, I'm 3/4 of the way to fill the old lady's fridge.  My ONE sharpening stone packed it in some time ago and I haven't found another.  My hatchet just gave out and I've looked in all the barns and buildings, and can't find ONE more hatchet.  There’s NOT a knife to be found anywhere.  In Survivor I have at least 3 of each, plus 4 sharpening stones.  How am I going to finish filling the old lady's fridge?  Couldn't the developers put a few around the area?  

Bean bunnies with a rock then bring them to the Old Mother's house.  That way you can harvest the meat with your bare hands in a warm spot.  You can also harvest the deer corpses she marked on your map with your bare hands, but you'll need to build a fire next to them to thaw them out first.  

+ Cattails.

There is a second hatchet, but it may not appear in the world until further on in the story.  I think your best bet is to keep going without.

How... how did you even get to the point where you used up one hatchet AND a whetstone? I haven't even USED a whetstone until Episode 2...

In case it isn't obvious: There is absolutely no need to ever start a fire in episode 1 (after the initial tutorial phase), because you can just use Grey Mother's everlasting fire. In consequence, there is absolutely no need to use the hatchet for anything other than harvesting meat from frozen carcasses (faster than knife).

3 minutes ago, Hesha said:

How... how did you even get to the point where you used up one hatchet AND a whetstone? I haven't even USED a whetstone until Episode 2...

In case it isn't obvious: There is absolutely no need to ever start a fire in episode 1 (after the initial tutorial phase), because you can just use Grey Mother's everlasting fire. In consequence, there is absolutely no need to use the hatchet for anything other than harvesting meat from frozen carcasses (faster than knife).

And fighting off wolves.  Also, the starting condition of the hatchets varies, so he may have just gotten a crappy one to start with.

9 minutes ago, Hesha said:

That is true. I rarely fight with wolves, so I cannot really compare options, but isn't the knife better for that?

Hatchet is generally regarded as the best option for wolves.  It does fast damage, so the wolf departs faster and there's usually less damage to you and your clothes.  Knife kills the wolf too, of course, but it struggles with you for a bit longer.  Your tool has a small chance to break during a weapon struggle -- more likely the lower the condition. 

On topic, I think I found a knife somewhere in episode 1, but I can't remember where.   Maybe that house up on the hill on the opposite side of the road (and town) from the Old Mother's?

Been through the house on the hill and the tower - no knife or hatchet. My hatchet was in crappy shape when I got it and sharpened it to 80%  .... kept what was left of sharpener for a while and used that up....yes, I attacked a couple of wolves....to eat  as I have to fill the old lady'fridge.....I JUST WANT TO GET ON WITH IT!  Why are ther no knives?

14 hours ago, Hotzn said:

The astute survivor needs neither hatchet nor knife and can still fill the fridge and maintain himself/herself. Training on Interloper helps. Accept the challenge. Learn. Grow.

Me (Hand up) me, I am, I lost my metal shard very early in episode 1 and there was no knife or an extra hatchet in Milton then. and by the time I got to the episode 2 cutscene, my hatchet was at 32% and I had long before then started harvesting meat with my bare hands. I also didn't get the whetstone from Mother.

9 hours ago, Dougie said:

Been through the house on the hill and the tower - no knife or hatchet. My hatchet was in crappy shape when I got it and sharpened it to 80%  .... kept what was left of sharpener for a while and used that up....yes, I attacked a couple of wolves....to eat  as I have to fill the old lady'fridge.....I JUST WANT TO GET ON WITH IT!  Why are ther no knives?

When did you start Wintermute? They added a knife with the second or third patch for Steam, but you had to start after the patch for it to be present. It's next to the dead guy near the metal radio antenna with the supply crate under it.

There is the hatchet she tells you to take and another one at the farm. I found a second 100% prybar on the floor of the car in front of the gas station. I didn't use my sharpening stone on the first hatchet because I heard there is a second one at the farm. My knife is at 80, my shard is at 50, my hatchet is at 45, and my stone is at 70.

Also I never wasted my shard on cloth because to tear it up its 8 minutes vs 10 for your hands. I never use it on cardboard because you find so much paper for tinder....and you can use sticks for tinder. I only used my shard to harvest deer. I harvest most bunnies by hand....

Sometimes I used my shard on bunny meat, but skinned/gutted it with my hands.

The only wolf I stabbed was the one wandering in town. I stripped naked and used my hatchet....then I ate him. I didn't skin him though because so far the story has no use for wolf pelts...

2 hours ago, MueckE said:

I found a few hatchets, but didn't take them. I remember finding one in

Hide contents

directly behind Grey Mothers house is a shed with barrels

She instructs you to take THAT one if you listened to her quest to fetch wood for her....that was to help you fetch the wood, even though there is more than enough sticks, logs, and coal lying around that doesn't require a hatchet. The hatchet is better for attacking wolves....

Would be cool if Astrid somehow passed through Milton again, after Will...

Grey Mother: Ah. You're the one he was looking for. I see. Well, I told him to take my hatchet from behind the house to cut some firewood. He collected sticks instead. Then he stripped naked and started killing wolves with the hatchet. I think he ate them, although there was plenty of other food around. Peculiar guy. You said you were married?

10 minutes ago, Hotzn said:

Would be cool if Astrid somehow passed through Milton again, after Will...

Grey Mother: Ah. You're the one he was looking for. I see. Well, I told him to take my hatchet from behind the house to cut some firewood. He collected sticks instead. Then he stripped naked and started killing wolves with the hatchet. I think he ate them, although there was plenty of other food around. Peculiar guy. You said you were married?

ROFL! Was that about me? That's hilarious! 

When you put it like that, it's awesome!

I'm cooler than Rick on The Walking Dead!

18 hours ago, Dougie said:

yes, I attacked a couple of wolves....to eat  as I have to fill the old lady'fridge...

There are plenty of ways to fill her fridge without giving her all the processed food. I've seen it done using nothing but cattail stalks. It's also easy to do just scavenging meat from dead deer. Or give her the processed food and keep the deer and cattails for yourself.

Did you use the hatchet to gather firewood for GM? There's no need. There are plenty of sticks, reclaimed wood (broken down by hand, not with the hatchet) and books you can give her instead of sacrificing the condition of your hatchet. Heck.. it should be easy to do using books alone. The damn things are everywhere.

19 hours ago, Dougie said:

I JUST WANT TO GET ON WITH IT!  Why are ther no knives?

Face it.. you may have, through a combination of bad luck and poor decisions, botched your playthrough to the point you need to start over using the tips you've gained in this thread.

Or...

You can do what I'd recommend, and just do the best you can to carry on, with what you have remaining. See if you can make it through, despite the crappy hand life has dealt you. If you should fail, you can always take another shot at it.

19 minutes ago, JAFO said:

There are plenty of ways to fill her fridge without giving her all the processed food. I've seen it done using nothing but cattail stalks. It's also easy to do just scavenging meat from dead deer. Or give her the processed food and keep the deer and cattails for yourself.

Did you use the hatchet to gather firewood for GM? There's no need. There are plenty of sticks, reclaimed wood (broken down by hand, not with the hatchet) and books you can give her instead of sacrificing the condition of your hatchet. Heck.. it should be easy to do using books alone. The damn things are everywhere.

Face it.. you may have, through a combination of bad luck and poor decisions, botched your playthrough to the point you need to start over using the tips you've gained in this thread.

Or...

You can do what I'd recommend, and just do the best you can to carry on, with what you have remaining. See if you can make it through, despite the crappy hand life has dealt you. If you should fail, you can always take another shot at it.

During the food quest she actually puts a bunch of deer icons on the map, showing where dead deer are with no wolves attached to them....as plan B so you can get her the food requirement without raiding the gas station...

I do both...lol.

Well, I didn't harvest EVERY deer....as it is now I have about 10-15 kilos of deer meat, about 50-60 cattail stalks, at least 6000 calories of processed food, and I finished the food quest already.

I also have looted every building except for the farm, because I didn't want to accidentally break the farm quest.

There are more hatchets, knives, and whetstones in Episode 2....but I don't know where they are or when you find them...

Thanks for the tips....I started all this before the patches were delivered to Xbox, so probably I'm screwed. I wish they had thought of these things before. They had them spread about in Sandbox.  I hate linear games for these reasons....ugghh, I guess I'll see if I can wing it without starting over.  

2 minutes ago, Dougie said:

Thanks for the tips..

You're welcome.. best of luck with it, and let us know how it turns out for you.. there's a lot of satisfaction to be had from succeeding when the odds are against you.

I don't know how far you are into Episode 2, but I actually started over with EVERY Steam patch, so now I am on playthrough 5. Each time I started over I got about as far as the wood quest....and then started over to benefit ftom the next patch. It's really not THAT bad, but it is pretty tedious doing that forced tutorial five times, and dodging all the wolves on the way to Milton five times.....

2 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

It's really not THAT bad, but it is pretty tedious doing that forced tutorial five times, and dodging all the wolves on the way to Milton five times.....

On the bright side, it gives you the chance to bag lots of rabbit skins before you get to Milton. I maxed out GM's trust in one hit, in my current run.

Oha, i forgot that this was the hatchet she told you about. I didn't use the hatchet for anything because i only fought a wolf once at the bridge before entering Milton and didn't break down anything with that. I guess i used the hatchet two times for a frozen carcass.

Archived