five wolf army.

Mixxut

Normal day in ML in stalker mode. I'm walking past the collapsed train cart With two wolves breathing on my back. I build a fire next to a deer corpse to scare the wolves off and then loot the corpse. I continue walking and I see it: Four wolves just chilling away from me. And one wolf is behind me (Again). Well I pull out the flare, light  it and soon all the wolves are barking at me. Ok, I just have to get to the camp office and i will be fine... One wolf doesn't seem to care about my flare and charges me. I fight it off, and it runs away. I'm injured but at least I got one away from me. Right? Nope. Another runs sees me from distance and starts barking! I grab my flare and start walking to the camp office. Another wolf charges me. I trhow the flare and it misses beatifully. It attacks. Now i'm at 4% condition at the camp office Thinking about my life. I took a screenshot where you can see two wolves in the front, one kinda in the back, and one just barely in the back. One wolf is offscreen. Have you guys ever seen five wolves at the same time? This is after the first wolf attack.screen_baa9f3d1-9ae1-49b9-9205-0faea0102bc5_hi.thumb.png.769b7cdc90e7bdae6a3e97e6af9a0dda.png

19 hours ago, Mixxut said:

Another wolf charges me. I trhow the flare and it misses beatifully. It attacks.

The best way of using flares/torches is throw the torch on the ground ahead of the wolf.. move left or right to put it directly between you and the wolf. When the wolf steps on it, he'll "hot-foot" it out of there. Not that you have time or room for that when he's charging.. 

Also, when attacked, get that bandage on the wound as fast as you can.. disinfectant comes second. Because the scent of your blood draws the other wolves towards you. It can even attract the wolf that just attacked you, back again for another go.

To the OPs question though, yes I have. I don't even play Stalker, as I don't like the wolves in the game, and Stalker is "I love wolves mode." I play Voyager and had a similar encounter at the Spence farm in FM. I didn't drag one or two wolves with me....I suppose I could have if I tried, but there were four wolves already there waiting for me when I arrived. One jumped me pretty much straight away like what happened to you. I stabbed him. I bandaged, and it became clear the three others were going to jump me next so I lit a fire and got rid of them. I grabbed a torch and booked it to the farm....

In the picture I see blood drops on the ground by your footprints like you didn't bandage yet....that's your first problem. Not only are you going to bleed to death very quickly, the blood attracts more wolves like @JAFOmentioned....

Also, the more you bleed the weaker you become, the weaker you are, the more likely a wolf will attack...

There's been more than once when those rails through ML become a Wolf Convention.  Downright almost got me to just call the Camp Office the Home to end all Homes and end the session there. If you are willing to do some hill climbing, though, you can avoid them as they do tend to stick near the rails when they are around.  You can always try for the derailment another day.  There was one time I took the ridgeline you are pretty much facing out the front door of Camp Office to get to Carter Dam.  Worked nicely, but you of course gotta be cautious so you don't go busting your ankles.

One thing to remember is, if you do get a wolf on your trail, don't go anywhere you haven't been to if you can help it.  It definitely sounds like that is exactly what you did. Until you get the wolf tailing you to run off or die, going towards anywhere but the path you took to get there is only going to get you into more trouble.  I wouldn't be surprised if the wolves in TLD actually get more points in boldness when they are not alone, reducing your chances of startling them.  Which makes sense in so many ways.

Think the Raptors from Jurassic Park as a quick reminder. Wolves operate in packs, and when they are in full pack mode, they can take down a young bison. You will always want to keep the scouts from herding you into others.  They are clever girls.

And as the others said, get wounds treated ASAP. Not only do open wounds attract wolves, but once your life bar hits a certain spot, you can't run anymore.  And if you can't run, you are fodder.

4 hours ago, thekillergreece said:

many people say Wolves are worthless foes! Now, they are not worthless foes anymore.

One of the nice things about Faithful Cartographer was, it taught people to respect wolves again!

8 hours ago, thekillergreece said:

I encountered 3-4 once on Voyageur difficulty. But hey, many people say Wolves are worthless foes! Now, they are not worthless foes anymore.

I've only seen people say the opposite. I kinda leaned that way until folks like @JAFO helped me figure things out.  At this point, though, as dangerous as wolves can be, if cougars are introduced it is only going to make things more fun.

48 minutes ago, Mixxut said:

I wasn't at that bad condition so I dicided to rush for the camp office.

And that decision almost got you killed.. it's a matter of priorities.. always plug the leaks in your body. Bad ThingsTM can happen when you don't. ;)

It's not just the smell factor of bleeding....you bleed out REALLY fast. You said after second attack you were down to 4%?!

That probably would have been far less if you bandaged after the first bite....the second wolf may not have even bitten you....probaby it would have, unless you dropped a torch for him to step on while backing up....but maybe not. Also, if the second wolf caused blood loss as well the bleeding stacks.

The wiki says you lose condition at the rate of 30 condition per in game hour. Game time is 12 times faster than real time, so in 1 hour of real life, 12 hours go by in game without doing anything that speeds up time like melting/boiling water, cooking, etc. 

So basically one hour goes by in 5 minutes in real life. You lose 30 condition every 5 minutes, or 6 condition per minute of bleeding assuming you weren't bitten twice. After the second bite you may have been losing condition at a rate of 12 per minute....

The bandaging action looks like it takes a couple/few seconds....and can be quickly selected from the radial once you become pro at doing so. 

You can make 2 bandages from one cloth, but you really want to do that BEFORE you need a bandage. I believe it takes 15-20 minutes to make two bandages(I forget which) and in that amount of time you will lose 7.5 to 10 condition depending on exactly how long....

Just food for thought. Also, I apologize if my maths are off. I know this was very simple maths dealing with multiplying and dividing time, but I am VERY bad at maths....

26 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Game time is 12 times faster than real time

To put that at its' simplest, every 5 seconds of real time is 60 seconds.. one whole minute, of game time. And as @Thrasador says.. with stacking bleeding effects thrown in.. and at the same time, the blood making you a wolf-magnet.

How long can you afford to keep bleeding out? ;)
<evil grin>

2 hours ago, JAFO said:

To put that at its' simplest, every 5 seconds of real time is 60 seconds.. one whole minute, of game time. And as @Thrasador says.. with stacking bleeding effects thrown in.. and at the same time, the blood making you a wolf-magnet.

How long can you afford to keep bleeding out? ;)
<evil grin>

Sometines when you panic, your brain just doesn't work :P

Archived