WARNING (Graphic content!) An excellent idea!!

Drewski_STX

I have fought off many a wolf but never have I killed the wolf in a struggle! I was thinking it would be really cool if perhaps 1 out of every 20-30 fights with a wolf that it would (immediately) be killed by a strike to the head wth one of our trusty weapons.not that O don't like to find the corpse of a wolf that I fought off hours ago (frozen) but an immediate kill would MOST GRATIFYING!! I was thinking as well as the ability to kill the wolf, we could aggressively cut its head off and let out a blood curdling cave man howl!!  I would like to see massive amounts of blood and guts spilling out of the mean ole' wolf. Maybe Hinterland could add the option of placing a flare on its mouth while it's attempting to murder us and watching it scream in agony... Please forgive my graphic and seemingly aggressive rhetoric, alas, I was killed by a wolf during a blizzard on an empty stomach, while also dying of thirst on DAY 182!!  Anywhoozles, this request is a bit extreme but oh boy wouldn't it be fun!?? Maybe add a parental control setting to disable this graphic feature. If you have ever seen the movie "The Grey" with Liam Neeson where they are fighting a entire pack of wolves and the ex-convict collects the head of one of the wolfs and throws it on the general direction of the pack, then the pack responds with a deafening howl.  Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it!! Anyways, there's my two cents for your consideration. Humbly, an avid die hard TLD player and fan. 

Erm...

I agree that it would be cool if some wolf fights were near instant wolf death, especially if you were using the hunting knife and you managed to thrust it into the wolf's neck it would almost certainly be an almost immediate death. If any of you have seen the bear scene from The Revenant (highly recommend; great film) a stabbing action like that on a wolf would definitely be a useful method. 

However, I disagree that we should start including Mortal Combat Finishers to the wolves. Let's just do it the nome movie genuine survivor way.

As far as I know, almost every single time you use the hatchet to fend the wolf off, it will die, it just needs time to bleed out. 

I don't like the instant kill ideas for the struggles - how fast the wolf bleeds out seems to depend on the tool you have and how rested you are, I feel like people would abuse it to kill wolves easily without the use of ranged weapons, as an alternative.

And no, this suggestion with kill animations would not be fun, in fact it would be very disgusting. I love this game mostly for how seriously it treats the survival topic, part of that is the fact that hunting in this game and in Survival is purely a matter of life or death. What you describe is disgusting brutality against animals, it goes against the survival code. On top of that, cutting a wolf head off would not be possible, unless you had like a chainsaw, definitely not with melee weapons in-game. On top of that, mutilating wolves for fun means you are ruining their skins.

Hinterlands does not condone the wanton destruction of wildlife and neither most of us, the community.

I almost believe you are just trolling everyone with this, also fucking love that clickbait title, might want to change that to say what the suggestion is about.

I don't think instakill should happen all of the time and with every weapon because then it could be abused.

It should be possible but should require a hunting knife and should only occur rarely (say 1/20 times). Perhaps a new encounter skill could be used to improve your characters ability to deal with hands on encounters. I do not think this should allow for players to make wolf attacks commonplace and easy to escape from but it could possibly increase the damage done to the wolf or the amount of condition lost (marginally). Once this is maxed the ability for an instant wolf kill could be introduced as a rare event.

12 hours ago, Drewski_STX said:

I have fought off many a wolf but never have I killed the wolf in a struggle! I was thinking it would be really cool if perhaps 1 out of every 20-30 fights with a wolf that it would (immediately) be killed by a strike to the head wth one of our trusty weapons.

Before the new "choose your weapon" mechanic, if you timed it absolutely perfectly as the wolf leapt, you could, in fact, do this. But the slo-mo weapon-picker totally nerfed this. It's one of the reasons I'd like to choose my default weapon ahead of time, instead of the beginning of the fight.

14 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

And no, this suggestion with kill animations would not be fun, in fact it would be very disgusting. I love this game mostly for how seriously it treats the survival topic, part of that is the fact that hunting in this game and in Survival is purely a matter of life or death. What you describe is disgusting brutality against animals, it goes against the survival code. On top of that, cutting a wolf head off would not be possible, unless you had like a chainsaw, definitely not with melee weapons in-game. On top of that, mutilating wolves for fun means you are ruining their skins.

lol. Well, I for one allow fantasy liberation from ideology. Hunting in this game is whatever the individual player wants it to be; taking down anything that moves or only what's needed...it's a game. So, it's not brutality against anything at all and the outrage can be spared. Cutting parts off of animals would certainly change the rating though.

I love the idea and am a big fan of dismemberment. No need for anything gratuitous as that wouldn't fit with the tone of the game.

I had it happen once actually, though not as you describe. A wolf was charging, I got a shot off and hit it almost point-blank but while the charge continued, it died after my first strike...dropped at my feet.

I dont have 

10 hours ago, Carbon said:

lol. Well, I for one allow fantasy liberation from ideology. Hunting in this game is whatever the individual player wants it to be; taking down anything that moves or only what's needed...it's a game. So, it's not brutality against anything at all and the outrage can be spared. Cutting parts off of animals would certainly change the rating though.

I love the idea and am a big fan of dismemberment. No need for anything gratuitous as that wouldn't fit with the tone of the game.

That was not the point - sure, play however you want to play, wasteful or not. But the idea game is trying to evoke is that you kill animals in order to eat them and live another day. Not to go Far Cry style, killing everything in your path just cause you want to - if that is how you play, good for you, but it is not the message game is meant to send.

Hinterland included in-game a message that says they "do not condone wanton destruction of wildlife". Putting in-game animations of player, carving up wolves definitedly says something else, and would make Hinterland look like hypocrites.

Not to mention that the entire point would be incredibly immersion breaking. If you think that with a hunting knife or a puny lil hatchet you can cut off a head of a wolf, it just tells me that neither one of you have ever even cut into meat to begin with, to even have an idea of how hard it would be to cut off something that is A) constantly fighting against you, B) has a thick leathery hide, C) has solid mass of muscle in a way, D) has a pretty hard spine in a way, with a single (or even several) swings of a hatchet. Seems to me you watch too much movies.

Finally, yes, there is an "instakill" glitch in the game. If you manage to hit charging wolf with a ranged weapon just before he jumps you, the struggle will last about half a second, and the wolf will go off running. Pretty sure that is because your ranged weapon was supposed to scare it away and there was never supposed to be a struggle, but the game did not update in time. I assume it is a glitch, but maybe it is intentional this way, and paints the wolf as weakened by the shot to put up much of a struggle.

2 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

I dont have 

That was not the point - sure, play however you want to play, wasteful or not. But the idea game is trying to evoke is that you kill animals in order to eat them and live another day. Not to go Far Cry style, killing everything in your path just cause you want to - if that is how you play, good for you, but it is not the message game is meant to send.

Hinterland included in-game a message that says they "do not condone wanton destruction of wildlife". Putting in-game animations of player, carving up wolves definitedly says something else, and would make Hinterland look like hypocrites.

Not to mention that the entire point would be incredibly immersion breaking. If you think that with a hunting knife or a puny lil hatchet you can cut off a head of a wolf, it just tells me that neither one of you have ever even cut into meat to begin with, to even have an idea of how hard it would be to cut off something that is A) constantly fighting against you, B) has a thick leathery hide, C) has solid mass of muscle in a way, D) has a pretty hard spine in a way, with a single (or even several) swings of a hatchet. Seems to me you watch too much movies.

Finally, yes, there is an "instakill" glitch in the game. If you manage to hit charging wolf with a ranged weapon just before he jumps you, the struggle will last about half a second, and the wolf will go off running. Pretty sure that is because your ranged weapon was supposed to scare it away and there was never supposed to be a struggle, but the game did not update in time. I assume it is a glitch, but maybe it is intentional this way, and paints the wolf as weakened by the shot to put up much of a struggle.

Just to clarify: I am not in support of unethical or unnecessary destruction of wildlife and whenever I play games, TLD included, I always try to play with good morals to my characters. I was simply stating that once in desperation I have used the rifle to kill a wolf charging me when it was very close. I am not in support of dismembering wolves or any animals in the game unless for the purpose of quartering. Scalping is a barabaric tradition people have for pride in war but dismembering is worse. It is barbaric and unnecessary. Quartering has a genuine survival purpose and so does skinning, gutting and harvesting all useful resources of an animal but killing for the sake of killing or stupid actions or inhumane decisions to mistreat a creature with just as much a right to live as you do is not okay.

There is kind of this thing that you described but it is not gory at all..... I had this happen in Stalker many times..... I have hunted wolves with the bow and arrow and if you hit the wolf and then the knife fight ensues sometime the wolf will drop dead within a few knife hits as he was hit to begin with.   That was on Stalker pre-wipe, but it was there at one point.  

The new graphic for a skinned and harvested wolf  is more graphic.... blood splatter.... so there have been some changes.

7 hours ago, Mroz4k said:

I dont have 

There is no moral high ground in this discussion; video game violence - be it against humans (which I infer you are also against) or animal - is a null discussion. Not moot, but null in that it will go nowhere, with or without citation. I am firmly in the belief that entertainment in all forms is quite separate from the normal mind in the healthy human or that the talk between them is strictly moderated. But that really is if not off-topic, then quite a branch.

"Wasteful" is relative; will all of the meat not be eaten eventually? Wouldn't wildlife re-spawn times put a hard cap on this idea? I can't see as one has the facility to be wasteful in this manner in TLD. The economy is built-in to each mode and extravagance comes with Pilgrim, the only mode that really allows gluttony. Blasting everything in Pilgrim seems overkill, even for a neanderthal like me.

Hinterland did indeed put that message in the game and I concur. But not necessarily in a game. I'm in the 'play it how you like' category and if it can be done and you want to do it, go nuts.

Now, I watch movies but how many is too many? Besides, you are arguing a point about the game with a credibility borrowed from reality. You accuse me of watching too many movies and in this case, it would make me to more credible. Movies, like games, are entertainment where rules can be made, broken or stretched and to relate movies and games in this way isn't only metaphoric. The suspension of disbelief is a core idea in both, a necessary aspect. To relate reality and games appears to be the problematic method of validation in that they are wholly unequal with one being at best a pale imitation of the other.

The insta-kill isn't a glitch, it's expected behavior. A wolf (as all 'living' objects in the game) has 'hit points' which diminish with the infliction of measured injury; shoot it once in the butt (not a critical hit, which would reduce the hit points to zero immediately) and those points are greatly reduced and it falls on the first cut with the knife. Or, after a wolf fight, trail the wolf and when it starts to lope around ('bleeding out' = hit points gradually lowering) hit it with a stone or two (the wolf is quite docile at this point, so no fear of getting really close).

On 8/12/2017 at 11:10 PM, JAFO said:

Before the new "choose your weapon" mechanic, if you timed it absolutely perfectly as the wolf leapt, you could, in fact, do this. But the slo-mo weapon-picker totally nerfed this. It's one of the reasons I'd like to choose my default weapon ahead of time, instead of the beginning of the fight.

Well, you can still do this. But it's very rare. It's easier to get the instant scare rather than instant kill. 

On ‎2017‎-‎08‎-‎12 at 10:19 AM, Drewski_STX said:

...an immediate kill would MOST GRATIFYING!! I was thinking as well as the ability to kill the wolf, we could aggressively cut its head off and let out a blood curdling cave man howl!!  I would like to see massive amounts of blood and guts spilling out of the mean ole' wolf. Maybe Hinterland could add the option of placing a flare on its mouth while it's attempting to murder us and watching it scream in agony...

If you have ever seen the movie "The Grey" with Liam Neeson where they are fighting a entire pack of wolves and the ex-convict collects the head of one of the wolfs and throws it on the general direction of the pack, then the pack responds with a deafening howl.  Gives me goosebumps just thinking about it!!

I have to ask. How did you manage to type this while wearing a straitjacket? Not judging, just asking because maybe one day it'll be good to know.

i also think i remember way back when i first started playing sandbox that you could kill a wolf during the fight. But then i am wondering if that was just me on an easier mode. Now i play stalker and i dont think i have ever killed wolf instantly. Most of the time i avoid them as best i can so i dont really even get into wolf fights. But when i do no matter what weapon i choose to fight it of,f they usually either kill me or run off whimpering. I dont even hunt the injured wolf down as in most cases i got hurt myself and start seeking a safe place to go fix myself and rest hehe.

I really dont wish to collect trophies or have it turn into anything pleasurable. I might sound like a complete softy but i adore the wolves and would rather avoid one and leave it be then ever fight it. I know its unavoidable but i at least try. In fact i actually try at times to secretly watch them without detection. I would like to see even more random wolf behaviour that adds more joy in studying them.

39 minutes ago, Crimson Foxx said:

In fact i actually try at times to secretly watch them without detection. I would like to see even more random wolf behaviour that adds more joy in studying them.

I'm glad it's not just me, then.. :D Guilty as charged...

Archived