prioritizing gear to bring when you move on

Patchouli

When you are ready to permanently depart an area, how do you decide what to bring and what to leave behind?  I usually will repair all of my clothes to 100%, take all of my canned and packaged foods, water, all fire starting devices, the hatchet, knife, rifle/gun, sleeping bag and tool box.  This will often find me over the allotted weight.  I find it hard to decide on everything else and I hate doing the slow-poke walk, give me your wisdom...

Only other thing you can do is wear lighter clothes and/or switch to the 0.50 kilo bow....

I typically try to take almost everything with me.....which requires multiple trips back and forth.

Also, many canned goods weigh a lot like peaches and MREs. Sometimes you just have to make two trips....or seven. Leave the gun when you get there....but take the cannoli....

Leave the gun, but take the ammo (if you have a good supply of ammo, maybe leave 5 rounds in the rifle), take the bow and arrows, hatchet, and knife along with a whetstone or two.  I generally take a MRE , some chocolate bars, and jerky, leaving a cache of food and other supplies at the building nearest to the transition point to the new area.

when I move on to another area /first new area, I always leave a whetstone ,a (hatchet and knife if I have a spare). I usually make a Bow and a few arrows. Then leave the rifle and 5 rounds of ammo. In the old house/base.

Taking the bow means I can travel light,and you will more than likely find another rifle in the new area.

Then eventually you will have tools and hunting supplies,stationed on each map. Meaning you can travel light when going between the maps.

Also sets me up for a long term run when I start to really run out of suppliesi will have enough left behind to survive foe a few weeks in each location .

All you will need to travel now is a bow, prybar/knife for defense and some cattails.(I save cattails and use them as travelling food due to the weight factor)

hope this helps/atleast gives you some new ideas.

On 8/12/2017 at 6:08 PM, Patchouli said:

This will often find me over the allotted weight.  I find it hard to decide on everything else and I hate doing the slow-poke walk, give me your wisdom...

I find 35-40kg bearable.. doesn't slow you down much at all, and lets you keep all your essentials on hand. I've even successfully sprinted across 10 metres of weak ice carrying 40kg!

Generally I try to take everything in multiple trips like @Thrasador does @Patchouli ;)

If you want to make only one trip your priorities depend on the experience level you're playing on. For instance, Voyager has lots of duplicates for tools so you can leave most behind (even the rife). However, if you're on Stalker or Interloper you'll want to take as many as you can in case you can't scavenge/forge new ones. A good way to save weight though is to leave most of your water behind and plan to make multiple small fires as you get thirsty. If you have a food cache in the place you're relocating to or are confident you can forage/harvest/scavenge food on the way heavy food items can also be left behind. 

23 minutes ago, SquanderBot said:

One thing that came in really handy for me in moving between certain areas was using the trunks of cars for storage along your route.

I've done that too. The only aspect of trunks I find ridiculous and annoying is this:

Once I filled a trunk with a bunch of stuff from all the coastal houses and the garage in CH. A bunch of it was clothes. When I came back the next day the trunk weight was in the red and it had over 60 kilos in it, when it can only hold 40 kilos. All the clothes were frozen and had doubled in weight....

That doesn't make any damn sense to me. Clothes don't just freeze and gain weight in real life unless they are wet, and trunks don't typically fill with water when it snows or rains out....they are waterproof. It's one thing to have clothes freeze if you fall through the ice and get them soaked. Or if you are wearing them and it's snowing, and your body heat melts the snow making the clothes wet and then they freeze. Or you sweat in them and then they freeze. I wasn't wearing any of those clothes, they were dry when I put them in there. How the hell did they get so wet and frozen that they doubled in weight!?

I don't think it's a bug. I think it is working as intended, but I think it is ridiculous and stupid....

So of course it took me two or three trips to get everything from the trunk of that car back to my base. I wasn't about to waste two to four hours with a fire trying to thaw and dry all the clothes out first.

7 minutes ago, Thrasador said:

Once I filled a trunk with a bunch of stuff from all the coastal houses and the garage in CH. A bunch of it was clothes. When I came back the next day the trunk weight was in the red and it had over 60 kilos in it, when it can only hold 40 kilos. All the clothes were frozen and had doubled in weight....

ha, that's kinda crazy and funny. 

40 minutes ago, SquanderBot said:

ha, that's kinda crazy and funny. 

I guess that's kinda just a cautionary tale, or an FYI. If you loot a bunch of clothes carry as many as you can in the first trip. If you leave clothes in a trunk they are going to magically freeze and weigh twice as much. The thing that really sucked is I found two or three pairs of ski boots. I wore one pair back (thank God) and left two in the trunk. They later both weighed 6 or 8 kilos. Things either double or weigh 1.5 times more when frozen I forget which. I harvested one pair right there at the car and carried the other one back as a backup pair. 

1 hour ago, Thrasador said:

I don't think it's a bug. I think it is working as intended, but I think it is ridiculous and stupid....

I'd call it a bug.. I think there's just a rule in the game that says "if clothes are outdoors, they get wet and freeze" Cars are 'outdoors', so the rule is applied. I'd suggest reporting it, because it clearly shouldn't apply if the clothing is outdoors in a container of any kind except maybe a backpack.

22 minutes ago, JAFO said:

I'd call it a bug.. I think there's just a rule in the game that says "if clothes are outdoors, they get wet and freeze" Cars are 'outdoors', so the rule is applied. I'd suggest reporting it, because it clearly shouldn't apply if the clothing is outdoors in a container of any kind except maybe a backpack.

Ok, if you say so....I don't have an issue reporting stuff. I figure they knew about it and wanted it that way. The clothing items we have been finding in cars in the new story have been frozen too, like the cotton toque in the back seat of the car on the bridge and the wool scarf on the floor of the passenger side of the car on the river. Both of those were frozen. Actually I put the toque on the outside head slot and it gave me frostbite risk. I thought I could thaw it by wearing it, lol.

I don't necessarily consider myself to be ever "permanently departing" an area. Logically, I may not intend on going back there. But that doesn't mean it is imperative that I export the contents of the region in whole or part. Usually, I'll pack using the following criteria: 

Tools (Knife, Hatchet, Hammer, Prybar, Hacksaw, Lantern) 

Hammer is usually carried if doing so would bring it closer to a forge (e.g. if moving from PV to CH/ML, take hammer). Otherwise leave it. Similar logic for Prybar - if where I'm going doesn't have lockers/trunks, I'll leave it behind. You can convert to scrap if they're a known duplicate, but this usually isn't necessary. Everything else is generally worth taking. 

Weapons (Rifle, Bow, Flare gun, ammunition)

I'll take these if I have them. If I need to make 2 trips, I'll take all 3 on the first trip, and come back with just the flare gun and 2-3 shells. 

Food

I'll leave on a full belly and take about 3000 calories max of the lightest food. So, salty crackers, energy bars, MREs... Everything else I'll leave. Food is not hard to come by if you have weapons and tools. If you don't, you probably don't have weight issues anyway. I'll have 2-2.5 litres of water at maximum for a journey. If I'm making 2 trips, I'll probably plan to leave the majority of the food from the first trip in the new region, and go back with almost zero food carried so I can gorge on what I'm leaving behind and take another load in. 

Clothing

I dress for a mixture of temp bonus and mobility. I ignore protection because I will avoid wolf struggles in the first place. That usually means spare clothing is inferior, and valid to leave behind. I will take about 10 cloth with me maximum. Usually that's sourced from curtains etc. rather than inferior clothing. Clothing can be harvested once it is ruined. Any time before that it's potentially useful in case of bear attack ruining something you have. But I don't lug around a wardrobe. 

Medical Supplies 

Bandages are made from cloth. No need to carry more than the 2 I always have in inventory. OMB bandages I might carry 3-4 if I'm transitioning to a new region. But usually I'd just carry the 2 I have standard and harvest more if the need arises. If I have antibiotics/painkillers I will take a bottle. Maybe 2 bottles for painkillers. Natural remedies can be left behind, they're generally available on other maps. I don't worry about water purification tablets. 

Firewood

I'll carry firestrikers/matches, generally enough for up to 100 or so fires. If I still need tinder, about 10-20. Not hard to make more. I will carry 1 torch to light before firestarting. If I'm leaving behind cloth/fuel I'll craft a 100% torch rather than using a sub-standard one pulled from a fire. I'll pack any/all accelerant still available. I won't generally carry fuel. I can get sticks on the way. 

Crafting materials/other

Crow feathers, arrowheads, cured saplings or arrow shafts will get taken, generally. Scrap metal and cured hides get left behind. If I already have enough fishing tackle, I won't even worry about cured gut. Plenty more available. 

Tools will generally push me over the weight limit. Normally I like to have all the tools available somewhere within the region, so when I'm traversing regions I will carry them all. I tend to pack for my first trip with an eye to carrying stuff I am happy to leave behind as I return for the second trip. So that means taking stuff like the hammer/prybar first if I'm not leaving them. 

when i move i get all my stuff in one place i make sure i have everything sorted tools,food,clothing and first aid. if i have anything to craft i do if i have metal scraps to spare i make fish hooks they are lighter and better if i have spare guts i make string and tackle, if i have saplings i make arrow sticks or arrows if i have all the stuff to do it cause its lighter. i try not to take pelts if i dont need them i can always come back or get more. for tools i like to take at least two of everything. food  i look at calorie to weight  ratio i dont bring meat or pinical peaches and only a few soda its too heavy for what it does your better off waiting to move and eat this while crafting and getting ready to move. clothing i leave a full set of second best clothing (cause i wear the best) where im leavening you never know if you will go back and boom something happens always good i also leave some band aids and meds to. first aid i bring all i can carry, if i have pre-made tea or coffee i leave that to way heavier then the boxes. if i have a spare sleeping bag i repair to full and leave that two it has saved me before because i ran from CH to ML and forgot it but had one there. i leave everything behind in tack you never know dont break it down to try to carry more. i dont carry wood but i carry a ton of water about 2 gallons if i can fit it normally i walk form ML to CH at about double weight. i find it still easy to move and can still usually pick it up (another reason i bring a lot of water is cause its heavy so if i really need to drop something a lot of the time ill drop the water) o and wepons if i have a flare gun i take if i have a gun i will leave it i normally find a few and just bring bullets if i dont i go back for it but i take the cleaning kits.

5 hours ago, Simone Else said:

I take every thing when I move,  every dam thing in 1 trip (besides wood) 

I routinely carry 100kg of weight when traveling to a new region.  I don't see the problem other than slower movement speed.  

wow now that's persistence,lol that must be a slooooooow walking pace.

Archived